Delivery Guy Gets 10 Dollar Tip for 85 Pizzas (1 Viewer)

Back in the dinosaur days, Domino's paid drivers .50 a "ticket" (pizza order -- we called them a "run" but it wasn't a run, you could have someone order 4 pizzas back then on the 2 for 1 pricing, so that was 2 "tickets"; you could deliver a few orders in one trip although that was rare in Mandeville, usually one trip was one ticket) in addition to minimum wage, and of course we got tips -- and this was in the days of free delivery, 30-minutes or less (or $3 off). I heard from people who still worked there after I left that the service charge didn't change what the drivers got; it was just to compensate for insurance that Domino's had to carry in case of driver accidents or lawsuits.

Oh -- as to the tip, $10 was ridiculously low. For that many pizzas and that big of a tab it should have been at least $40-50 and generously $80-100 (that's not even 10%). The driver has to carry all the orders, other drivers would have to wait and help carry them either into the place or from the store to the driver's car; would have a backup in orders for everyone else in the store so other drivers would likely get less tips because of people having to wait for their order; driver would have to be careful to not have stacks of pizzas tip over and fall during delivery, and you're trying to get everything there, hot, and correct. It's like going into a grocery and buying 50 carts full of things, then the guy brings it out to your car, loads it into your car safely, and you give him a dollar. It's like having a bellhop bring down all the luggage for your daughter's 30-member dance team, load them into the bus, and giving him a 10.

(Of course places like Publix don't accept tips for grocery cart handling, but you get the idea...)

You know, I guess ive been out of the game too long but you just brought back so many memories, lol. That certainly is a bs tip now that I think about it.

Stacking bags and bags of pizza while waiting on the rest of the pizzas to come out, hoping the weight of the pizzas youve taken out doesnt crush the lower boxes and ruin the order. Then, trying to carry 4 bags of pizza at a time, holding 4 boxes a piece without falling or dropping them. It can get a little difficult. I remember now how I lost so much weight delivering pizza. Lmao.

I loved Godfather's Pizza! Are there any still open anywhere?

Edit: The closest to NOLA is Mobile. Damn.

It was, hands down, the best one of em all. Wasnt cheap either, but we made sure you got ur moneys worth. ( maybe thats why they had to close- we blew up the margins lol )

The one I worked at in Algiers closed in like 1994. Sad day.

9c998aee-080b-45f0-a1fd-7ec33ddb7bd1_M7h5HlQ.jpg

I know tipping seems to be a hot topic. Now way it should have been 10-20%

but could spot the dude a 20?

Also is it mean or does it seem every one is posting the receipts online lately?

So, maybe $300 would be too much, but if you're going to order $1500 worth of pizza I think a c note is in order.

Most people don't realize the amount of work that actually goes into delivering a pizza. I worked at Cafe Roma on Sophie Wright, Italian Pie, Mona Lisa, and actually a lot more places (more than I care to remember) and it's not like the pizza is magically ready for delivery. Sometimes, we even had to make the pizzas to make sure our deliveries got there on time. Salads - made by the driver. Every single thing you ordered was packaged by the driver. Greased pans, folded boxes...driver. Phones being answered by drivers. Waitresses need ice? Get a driver.

One of five orders was a bad tip but usually tips were good.

85 pizzas, $1500 for a ten dollar tip? Eat ****. And the fact that they screwed the driver over beforehand guarantees that their pizzas were in fact smushed, or cold, or lacking in toppings, or had the cheese slide off "accidentally" on the trip over. Dummies.

I used to take large orders all the time of 50-60 pizzas to the Saints facility or the Skating rink and only get 5-10 bucks. I wasnt too upset though because as previously mentioned we get a "mielage" rate for our sales. Not quite sure what it was, I'll just agree it was 4.5% lol.

When I was doing it, we were all envious of drivers at places who got mileage. We got a flat fee (can't remember exactly, but I think it was 75 cents) per run. That meant the store was paying us the same amount whether it meant driving a block over or hauling *** across town, down to the interstate to deliver to the hotels (our delivery area was substantially bigger than most Domino's because of the way Natchitoches is laid out. The hotels that are on I-49 normally would have been well outside a standard delivery range, but corporate gave the store an exemption because they generated a good bit of money.). Though you usually wanted the hotel runs because they tended to be pretty good tippers, when you got stiffed on one you were angry because you'd just made 75 cents on a run that took forever, which meant you were missing out on other runs and thus more money.

looks like the customer paid the bill when they ordered with CC over phone. ( and prolly the order wasnt going to be taken unless paid up front )

I would fully expect the card to be run when the order was taken. It is just my experience (as a customer, not as a delivery person) that I am never asked how much I am going to tip when ordering. I am brought a receipt that allows me to include a tip and sign. No different than if I had gone to a restaurant to eat.

When I was doing it, we were all envious of drivers at places who got mileage. We got a flat fee (can't remember exactly, but I think it was 75 cents) per run. That meant the store was paying us the same amount whether it meant driving a block over or hauling *** across town, down to the interstate to deliver to the hotels (our delivery area was substantially bigger than most Domino's because of the way Natchitoches is laid out. The hotels that are on I-49 normally would have been well outside a standard delivery range, but corporate gave the store an exemption because they generated a good bit of money.). Though you usually wanted the hotel runs because they tended to be pretty good tippers, when you got stiffed on one you were angry because you'd just made 75 cents on a run that took forever, which meant you were missing out on other runs and thus more money.

I never worked anywhere that got mileage or a fee at all. Just wages + tips. Never even heard of such a thing unless it was for Domino's or some other corporate chain.

I would have tipped the guy $100.00 at a minimum. Seriously. If I'm dropping a grand plus on pizza, I can swing an appropriate tip.
Having said that, I can't/won't knock the person that tipped $10 because I don't know the whole story. For example: my former employer would always order these huge lunches and sometimes dinners and expense them to the company. They would tip out of pocket /off the books for whatever reason. You never know.

Was he there in less than 30 mins? I keed I keed.

We have many friends in the restaurant business and we know what they have or are going through and I always tip well and in cash too...much better than on the card.

The only time I have not tipped well is for flat out poor service and on a slow night in a restaurant and no reason for the poor service, but even then I give a decent tip.

One time though....In college, me and my buddies were eating at a Mexican place and my total with drinks and food was 20 bucks. I gave the dude a $10 tip because he was cool (my buddies on separate tickets tipped about $5 to $10 each so he was getting close to $50 in tips between 4 people)....then when he came to collect the money and the tip looked at my ticket and then straight at me and said that's all I get? I said oh my bad dude and then reached over and took my $10 and said you don't get a damn thing....we almost got in a fight.....gave him a $10 tip on a $20 bill and he had the nerve to say what he said.

One time though....In college, me and my buddies were eating at a Mexican place and my total with drinks and food was 20 bucks. I gave the dude a $10 tip because he was cool (my buddies on separate tickets tipped about $5 to $10 each so he was getting close to $50 in tips between 4 people)....then when he came to collect the money and the tip looked at my ticket and then straight at me and said that's all I get? I said oh my bad dude and then reached over and took my $10 and said you don't get a damn thing....we almost got in a fight.....gave him a $10 tip on a $20 bill and he had the nerve to say what he said.

I can't remember the last time I paid cash at a restaurant (it has got to be over a decade at this point) but your story reminds me of a little pet peeve of mine - please don't ask me if I need change. It is a loaded, presumptuous question and the default should be to bring change unless directed otherwise.

I never worked anywhere that got mileage or a fee at all. Just wages + tips. Never even heard of such a thing unless it was for Domino's or some other corporate chain.

It was Domino's.

More accurately, it was RPM. They're based out of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and are the largest Domino's franchiser in the country. They basically run themselves as their own corporation and just license the name, food, etc. So what they did as far as pay, protocol, etc. didn't always match up with what other Domino's places were doing.

Richard P Mueller! He visited our store twice -- was weird seeing the owner running around in the same uniform everyone else wore and always peppy like a new hire. :)

Hahaha, yep. By the time I was there Richard had retired and turned over day to day operations to his brother and son, but when they would come do a walkthrough he would come along in a kind of emeritus role. It was pretty hilarious seeing these guys that were the biggest Domino's franchisers in the nation walking around dressed like regular crew members.

Not that shocking. I worked for Domino's for two years in college and it wasn't uncommon to get stiffed on big orders (40+ pizzas).

But it wasn't all bad. I once delivered to a guy so stoned that he tipped me twice.

While working for Domino's, I once delivered to a guy who just had one pizza for like $12-something and change. Tried giving me a $100 bill, which I said I didn't have change for. So he's really stoned and all, and tells me, "Well, uhhh... man... i'm sooooooo hungry...... just take my 100." :worthy:

I've only ever had someone give me a percentage tip once, and it was a 20+ pizza order.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom