Delivery Guy Gets 10 Dollar Tip for 85 Pizzas (1 Viewer)

If you're not going to tip a flat amount based on the cost of gasoline, then base it on how far away you are from the store.

A person can't expect a customer to understand that. If i'm getting pizza delivered, its because I'm lazy. I'm not going to figure out friggen mileage. With the centralized call centers these days, half the time I dont even know where the pizza is coming from.

Ive worked in the service industry before, I tip a good rate. If it doesn't work out, I dont know what to say :shrug:

I would have gave him a generous tip. I usually tip waiters 10, and up. On most occasions I give homeless men money unless i only have my debit card. I am aware of the drivers not getting the delivery fee so i atleast give 5 bucks on most occasions, but danm that's cold. It could have been a school or a banquet with a limited budget on food, and beverages. If not then customer is an ***.

While I understand your point and generally agree, how much more gas is used to deliver 85 pizzas as opposed to 1 or 2?

Now, I understand that this is a dedicated trip since I doubt other deliveries were attempted because of the size of the order a ~0.7% is kind of low.

Can 85 pizzas fit into one car?

Seriously.. I don't know.

:interrogations:

dragging boxes outta yer truck and carting them into a party isnt that big of a deal. i agree ten bucks was a little low, but this type of service is not 10-15 % worthy.

I had Pizza hut deliver for the first time in forever the other nights and noticed a $2.65 convenience fee. I tipped, but wondered if the driver got the fee.

Yeah, drivers do NOT get that delivery fee (at least at the major chains. It can vary from local place to local place). When I was doing it, we were actually prohibited from telling customers that unless they explicitly asked. The store manager didn't care that much, but if any of the district or corporate guys were there and saw/heard it happen, you would probably get fired. There's a massive misconception that it's some kind of mandatory gratuity and drivers will lose out on some tips because of it.

well this is a bigger story than the 10 dollar tip for me. What a crock. The drivers use their own cars. The restaurants actually make more money this way. They don't make the ridiculous money off of soft drinks but they also don't have the overhead of having to have a huge dining room either. Convenience my ***.

While I understand your point and generally agree, how much more gas is used to deliver 85 pizzas as opposed to 1 or 2?

Now, I understand that this is a dedicated trip since I doubt other deliveries were attempted because of the size of the order a ~0.7% is kind of low.

Yeah, I was really thinking in general terms rather than the story of the OP. However, one reason for tipping the guy more would be the opportunity loss of handling that big order. Of course, if as Denzien mentioned the driver gets paid by the company partially based on the price of the order that would mitigate my concern.

To me, the bigger issue (generally speaking) that comes from this discussion is the convenience fee. I will bet if you did a study you would see that drivers' tips have gone way dwon since companies started adding that.

Even though I went ahead and tipped when I saw that fee, I did notice the fee and it may have caused me to scale back a buck or two. And that's coming from someone who is a decent tipper. I am sure that there are those who tip, but do so begrudgingly, and will decide not to tip when they see that charge.

BTW -- I say I am a "decent" tipper because I have seen friends who really go nuts with it. Understandably, those extreme tippers have generally worked for tips at some point. I can't keep up with those guys.

But I remember when I would go out with a group of guys when I was in the Army and we would go out to eat, at the end of the meal half of them would try to walk off without leaving anything. (I am not talking about the mess hall -- I don't think tipping is expected there, although I wish I would have thought of it in basic training just to mess with drill sergeants).

I live in NY and most people deliver on bike in the weather, so I always tip on a percentage. I just feel bad saving a few bucks on a tip. If I wanted to save that I'd just get off my lazy butt and pick it up myself.

I would have tipped 11.07 to make it an even 1,465, I kid I kid.

I do have to ask however, does the signature say "phone"?

looks like the customer paid the bill when they ordered with CC over phone. ( and prolly the order wasnt going to be taken unless paid up front )

Yeah, drivers do NOT get that delivery fee (at least at the major chains. It can vary from local place to local place). When I was doing it, we were actually prohibited from telling customers that unless they explicitly asked. The store manager didn't care that much, but if any of the district or corporate guys were there and saw/heard it happen, you would probably get fired. There's a massive misconception that it's some kind of mandatory gratuity and drivers will lose out on some tips because of it.

That aint cool. When I worked for Godfathers Pizza in 1991/1992 we started charging $1.00 for delivery and the driver received $.50 of it. ( along with tip ) so its interesting, since that is the only thing i have to go on, to know that places DO NOT share that charge with the drivers.

But then again, i was making $3.25/hr ( min wage back then ). I dont know what the drivers today make, but would imagine its at least $7/hr.

still, aint cool.

Depends on where the order was going. Some businesses/governmental entites/etc have rules related to tipping/gratuities or don't have mechanisms in their payment system to cover it. It might not be a case of someone being cheap, but being restricted by their employers policies.

A person can't expect a customer to understand that. If i'm getting pizza delivered, its because I'm lazy. I'm not going to figure out friggen mileage. With the centralized call centers these days, half the time I dont even know where the pizza is coming from.

That's why I tip a flat rate based on the cost of gasoline.

Can 85 pizzas fit into one car?

Seriously.. I don't know.

:interrogations:

Definitely not in a MINI Cooper, but my Volvo station wagon could easily hold that many...hell, even my '86 Grand Marquis could fit that many considering the depth of the trunk and the room on the interior.

Id bet you could get close to 85 pizzas in the trunk of a grand marquis.

Back in the dinosaur days, Domino's paid drivers .50 a "ticket" (pizza order -- we called them a "run" but it wasn't a run, you could have someone order 4 pizzas back then on the 2 for 1 pricing, so that was 2 "tickets"; you could deliver a few orders in one trip although that was rare in Mandeville, usually one trip was one ticket) in addition to minimum wage, and of course we got tips -- and this was in the days of free delivery, 30-minutes or less (or $3 off). I heard from people who still worked there after I left that the service charge didn't change what the drivers got; it was just to compensate for insurance that Domino's had to carry in case of driver accidents or lawsuits.

Oh -- as to the tip, $10 was ridiculously low. For that many pizzas and that big of a tab it should have been at least $40-50 and generously $80-100 (that's not even 10%). The driver has to carry all the orders, other drivers would have to wait and help carry them either into the place or from the store to the driver's car; would have a backup in orders for everyone else in the store so other drivers would likely get less tips because of people having to wait for their order; driver would have to be careful to not have stacks of pizzas tip over and fall during delivery, and you're trying to get everything there, hot, and correct. It's like going into a grocery and buying 50 carts full of things, then the guy brings it out to your car, loads it into your car safely, and you give him a dollar. It's like having a bellhop bring down all the luggage for your daughter's 30-member dance team, load them into the bus, and giving him a 10.

(Of course places like Publix don't accept tips for grocery cart handling, but you get the idea...)

Pizza chains are definitely getting cheaper. I saw one guy said he worked for Papa Johns, I worked there too and used to LOVE when we made minimum wage on top of the 4.5% of our sales. However, when minimum wage went up they slashed every drivers pay to about 4 bucks an hour, which doesnt even cover the gas these days. This turned every driver into a snake hustling for orders with big tippers or big costs.

As for the service fee or delivery fee, yeah right. Lol. Just another gimmick for the stores to make more money.

A 10 dollar tip isnt that bad, although I certainly would have expected a little more. 20% is unrealistic.

I used to take large orders all the time of 50-60 pizzas to the Saints facility or the Skating rink and only get 5-10 bucks. I wasnt too upset though because as previously mentioned we get a "mielage" rate for our sales. Not quite sure what it was, I'll just agree it was 4.5% lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom