Delivery Guy Gets 10 Dollar Tip for 85 Pizzas (1 Viewer)

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom dictates that if you can afford to have food delivered, you should be able to afford the tip. Not always.

On Tuesday, a Reddit user named Jfastman uploaded a photo of a receipt for a pizza delivery that included 85 pizzas totaling $1,453. "My friend delivered 85 pizzas today and got a $10 tip," he wrote. The story kicked off a fiery debate prompting dozens to write comments such as "The delivery guy deserved more" and "Ten dollars is cheap!" Others insisted that no one could realistically expect to receive a 20 percent tip on such a large order.
9c998aee-080b-45f0-a1fd-7ec33ddb7bd1_M7h5HlQ.jpg

I know tipping seems to be a hot topic. Now way it should have been 10-20%

but could spot the dude a 20?

Also is it mean or does it seem every one is posting the receipts online lately?

9c998aee-080b-45f0-a1fd-7ec33ddb7bd1_M7h5HlQ.jpg

I know tipping seems to be a hot topic. Now way it should have been 10-20%

but could spot the dude a 20?

Also is it mean or does it seem every one is posting the receipts online lately?

Posting receipts online has been a hot topic for some time now. I wonder if the guy had to unload all those pizzas himself or did the buyer?

$1450 for 85 pizzas? That's ~$17 per pie! If you're that hungry just go to CiCi's.

I would have tipped 11.07 to make it an even 1,465, I kid I kid.

I do have to ask however, does the signature say "phone"?

when i worked for dominoes on lake ave, i remember delivering 100 pizzas more than one occasion to one of the condos around lake marina for their mega parties where we'd fight over not wanting to go to because there was never a tip. then again, one of the residents at 7300 lakeshore dr ordered regularly and would tip $20 on a $12 pizza. during the day, schools order a lot of pizzas often and very rarely tip.

Uhh...tipping a driver a % of the sale is dumb, in my opinion. I used to take $9 orders 8 miles from the store costing my a full gallon of gasoline. Had I been tipped based on the value of the order, I would have lost money on those deliveries. Actually now that I think about it, those people usually stiffed me anyway.

If you're not going to tip a flat amount based on the cost of gasoline, then base it on how far away you are from the store. And never guarantee the tip by putting it on the card before the food is delivered. You can't take that back if the service is terrible...and if you put a low tip, you're going to get your food last if the driver has taken more than one order.

Finally, if the delivery involves more work (such as the 85-pizza delivery), the driver isn't getting any more orders until they return to the store, so a larger tip is anticipated. I would say $10 is a good tip even if the order was > $1,000. Especially since Papa Johns does (or used to) pay out 4.5% of a driver's gross sales for mileage. That order would have been more than $60 in mileage paid to the driver on top of the $10 tip!

Not that shocking. I worked for Domino's for two years in college and it wasn't uncommon to get stiffed on big orders (40+ pizzas).

But it wasn't all bad. I once delivered to a guy so stoned that he tipped me twice.

I had Pizza hut deliver for the first time in forever the other nights and noticed a $2.65 convenience fee. I tipped, but wondered if the driver got the fee.

I had Pizza hut deliver for the first time in forever the other nights and noticed a $2.65 convenience fee. I tipped, but wondered if the driver got the fee.

all major pizza places are charging that now (PH/PJ/DOM) and allegedly the drivers get none of it. to me its seems like it is away to raise prices with out actually raising them.

I had Pizza hut deliver for the first time in forever the other nights and noticed a $2.65 convenience fee. I tipped, but wondered if the driver got a cut.

I know that when Papa Johns did away with free delivery, they stuck a $1 charge that went 100% to the store. This confused a lot of people who stopped tipping because they thought it was taken care of. I think they responded by splitting the fee with the driver, then raising the fee to $2, but this basically happened after my time there.

That really sucks for drivers, I am sure a lot of people silently question it and decide to error on the side of keeping their money. Or, they simply think they have paid enough.

I feel for the drivers, they are paying for gas (not to mention their cars are going to smell like cardboard and pizza).

Yeah, drivers do NOT get that delivery fee (at least at the major chains. It can vary from local place to local place). When I was doing it, we were actually prohibited from telling customers that unless they explicitly asked. The store manager didn't care that much, but if any of the district or corporate guys were there and saw/heard it happen, you would probably get fired. There's a massive misconception that it's some kind of mandatory gratuity and drivers will lose out on some tips because of it.

That really sucks for drivers, I am sure a lot of people silently question it and decide to error on the side of keeping their money. Or, they simply think they have paid enough.

I feel for the drivers, they are paying for gas (not to mention their cars are going to smell like cardboard and pizza).

While I understand your point and generally agree, how much more gas is used to deliver 85 pizzas as opposed to 1 or 2?

Now, I understand that this is a dedicated trip since I doubt other deliveries were attempted because of the size of the order a ~0.7% is kind of low.

all major pizza places are charging that now (PH/PJ/DOM) and allegedly the drivers get none of it. to me its seems like it is away to raise prices with out actually raising them.

When dominos started doing it we started doing pickups at the store.

If I knew it was going to the driver, fine, I would compensate my tip accordingly. But if it's going to Dominos, **** them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom