Delta: Get away with what the government lets you get away with (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Reaction score
Delta Airlines Unfare Changes - Album on Imgur

How there's not some law about bait and switch that covers this, I don't know. If you left a search window open and price went up before you could check out, ok. If you click on checkout and confirm, and enter payment data, that seems like nothing but pure fraud.

Meanwhile, the United Flight just sold out.

Only slightly related but kind of like the BS Ticketmaster pulls:

TM: We found you these seats, want them?
Me: Yes
TM: Please create account or sign in
Me: Ok
TM: Want to upgrade?
Me: No
TM: Want to buy ticket protection?
TM: Want to print or mail tickets?
Me: Print
TM: Want to know about the latest/greatest events?
TM: Sign up for American Express?
TM: Please submit payment info:
TM: Please review order:
TM: Sorry, tickets gone. Please start over.
Me: :covri:....why?

Yeah, the whole airline business is a racket.

Where I live, we have Allegiant Air. They usually only fly certain days of the week to certain cities, for instance where I live they have direct flights to Vegas for usually between $59-$79 one way, but they only fly Thursday and Sunday. That's fine, so I booked a flight a few months ago, but once you lock in your dates, you have to pay for a seat. Not an upgrade, mind you...you actually have to pay for your seat, which is apparently not included on the quoted price. I'm going to assume they don't allow you to stand, either.

Allegiant makes you pay extra if you select a seat when booking. If you don't pay to select a seat then a random (likely less desirable) seat will be assigned when you check in. Air Canada has done the same on flights I've booked. It's pretty annoying if you're used to booking early and choosing decent/adjoining seats.

Delta Airlines Unfare Changes - Album on Imgur

How there's not some law about bait and switch that covers this, I don't know. If you left a search window open and price went up before you could check out, ok. If you click on checkout and confirm, and enter payment data, that seems like nothing but pure fraud.

Meanwhile, the United Flight just sold out.

What would be a fair time out?

As you can see from the link it has nothing to do with timing or capacity, as the guy was able to repeat it on flights like the one shown that are over 1/3 empty. Start again later get promised the same fare, then get boosted for the extra 10% only after you've entered your credit card info and hit submit.

I suppose an equivalent would be a restaurant consistently over the course of the night coming out 15 minutes after the order had been placed and saying "Sorry, the filet has become popular, so it'll be an extra $10 or we can offer you can start your order process all over and choose new items."

I'd say if you want a line, once someone has allowed you control over their credit card information and is vulnerable to you taking the funds or putting a hold on the credit for the full amount, that they are liable to honor the contract. They aren't boosting the fee until the customer has hit submit with full credit card detail.

What would be a fair time out?

Well, I am no fan of Ticketmaster but at least they tell you how long you have to complete the steps when you're buying tickets. I think they usually give you 15 minutes to execute a purchase after you pick out the tickets. (With airlines you might have to give more time if you're requiring the travellers to enter all their personal info before completing the purchase.)

Meh, I just fly southwest or drive and don't deal with any of that stuff.

Every now and then I'll take a flight out of the sorry excuse for an airport that is Jackson International on American cashing in miles but it's a disaster. Speaking in terms of flights and disasters without a crash may seem in bad taste but trust me, it isn't.

Meh, I just fly southwest or drive and don't deal with any of that stuff.

Every now and then I'll take a flight out of the sorry excuse for an airport that is Jackson International on American cashing in miles but it's a disaster. Speaking in terms of flights and disasters without a crash may seem in bad taste but trust me, it isn't.

It's not that bad, I fly out of there almost weekly. I enjoy walking in at the last minute and boarding a flight and the ease of parking. Flying out of LAX and a host of others large airports are train wrecks and too time consuming. For a small airport vs other small airports it ranks rather high with my experience flying into two bit airports, though it could use a MAJOR update/facelift as looking modern.

I fly Delta and I have experienced the story that the OP posted both with a higher price and lower price than the original screen quote.

Yeah, the whole airline business is a racket.

Where I live, we have Allegiant Air. They usually only fly certain days of the week to certain cities, for instance where I live they have direct flights to Vegas for usually between $59-$79 one way, but they only fly Thursday and Sunday. That's fine, so I booked a flight a few months ago, but once you lock in your dates, you have to pay for a seat. Not an upgrade, mind you...you actually have to pay for your seat, which is apparently not included on the quoted price. I'm going to assume they don't allow you to stand, either.
You have a seat. It will be assigned at check in. If you travel with a child, an adult will be seated next to them. If you travel with an adult, you will get a seat nowhere near them.

Even adding carry-on bag fees, checked bag fees and seat fees it's cheaper than a ticket on a legacy carrier and most likely cheaper than Southwest, too. Southwest hasn't been a discount airline in a decade.

Get up at 4:30 on Monday morning
Drive 18 miles to airport.
Catches red eye at 6:00 ish (blame timelines)
Land, collect luggage, run to car rental, drive to sight.
Upgrade hardware (onsite parts)
Upgrade software (also onsite)
Drive to next sight/airport
Catch airport to next destination
Run to car rental
drive to location
rinse repeat
Fly back on Friday night

Sometimes catching 3 flights a day during the week.
At least one site per day.

That is what I heard from a guy I know. :idunno:

He always warned me that success breeds responsibility.

I disregarded that notion as I had better things to do like get into a snowball fight with my cousins, while not wearing mitts, and wonder why my hands were numb.

Encoder ring breaks at the level of sharing.

You have a seat. It will be assigned at check in. If you travel with a child, an adult will be seated next to them. If you travel with an adult, you will get a seat nowhere near them.

Even adding carry-on bag fees, checked bag fees and seat fees it's cheaper than a ticket on a legacy carrier and most likely cheaper than Southwest, too. Southwest hasn't been a discount airline in a decade.

Wasn't aware of that. I guess I didn't read the fine print.

It's not that bad, I fly out of there almost weekly. I enjoy walking in at the last minute and boarding a flight and the ease of parking. Flying out of LAX and a host of others large airports are train wrecks and too time consuming. For a small airport vs other small airports it ranks rather high with my experience flying into two bit airports, though it could use a MAJOR update/facelift as looking modern.

I fly Delta and I have experienced the story that the OP posted both with a higher price and lower price than the original screen quote.

Oh, I love that aspect but unless you are going to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta or Charlotte you can't get a direct flight. It's a 6 hour drive for me to get to Dallas, Atlanta or Houston so I'd just prefer drive. I don't go to Charlotte so everything is connect and layovers. Anytime I have a connecting flight or layover it goes horribly wrong.

LAX is just a constant, slow moving train wreck though, I can't argue that one bit.

Denver is my favorite airport, maybe because I'm in a good state of mind every time I'm flying out but it's a big, modern airport that never seems to be all that crowded.

Wasn't aware of that. I guess I didn't read the fine print.
That's how they generate revenue. If you buy a ticket, bring only a personal item and don't buy snacks on the aircraft, they break even. The sales pitch is that you only pay for what you need. If you dont need to check a bag, then you don't pay the costs associated with that.

Also, the checked bag weight limit is 40 lbs, not 50 lbs like everyone else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom