Delta offering 30,000 workers voluntary severance (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL:delta air lines inc del com
DAL 9.23, -0.37, -3.8%) will offer voluntary severance payouts to about 30,000 employees, or more than half its workers, The Associated Press reported Tuesday. Delta also plans to cut its domestic capacity by an extra 5% this year, the AP reported. The moves address how the airline is coping with higher fuel prices, according to the news service.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...4472-A1CB-6DBDF78E1869}&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

I'm sure President Bush hasn't heard anything about this.

I feel bad for people losing employment, but I dont mind seeing the airlines suffer. We NEED a modern rail system in this country.

Bring on the bullet trains!

I didn't think they had that many people left. Almost all of their ground service is outsourced.

I feel bad for people losing employment, but I dont mind seeing the airlines suffer. We NEED a modern rail system in this country.

Bring on the bullet trains!

Yeah because Amtrak is doing gangbusters I don't see why the useful services haven't spread outside the NE corridor for the most part. :1zhelp:

Yeah because Amtrak is doing gangbusters I don't see why the useful services haven't spread outside the NE corridor for the most part. :1zhelp:

Amtrak is part of the problem of course. The whole rail system needs revamping.

Ever been to Europe? Awesome trains. Cheap, clean, comfortable travel.

Amtrak is part of the problem of course. The whole rail system needs revamping.

Ever been to Europe? Awesome trains. Cheap, clean, comfortable travel.

I agree with Europe's cool train setups, I'm just not sure about the feasability of it all in such a wide open spread out country like the US vs. a much more condensed setup like Europe

I agree with Europe's cool train setups, I'm just not sure about the feasability of it all in such a wide open spread out country like the US vs. a much more condensed setup like Europe

Ever been through Slovakia? I have and by train at that. You get out in the boonies there too. Maybe not as much, but those desolate areas are there too.

America should have a train system very similar to Europe.

Delta just announced that they intend to abandon the Meridian,MS market. My FBO won't notice but people in east MS will will have no choice but to drive to Jackson for scheduled airline service.

It could be worse.. they could have been American Airline employees. :idunno:

/hadta throw that in there...... :mad:

Ever been through Slovakia? I have and by train at that. You get out in the boonies there too. Maybe not as much, but those desolate areas are there too.

America should have a train system very similar to Europe.

Our current train system can take you all sorts of places. You can go from Boston or NYC to NOLA. I've taken the train from NOLA to Washington state. Plus plenty of people take the train from here to Chicago for games against the Bears. My comment was reserved more for the superfast bullet trains that were advocated prior in the thread. Want to get to the boonies you can, but it doesn't make much sense because it takes so long.

Furthermore, the boonies in Slovakia are a bit easier to reach than the boonies in the good ole US of A considering it is 19k square miles compared to 3.79 Million square miles.

Delta just announced that they intend to abandon the Meridian,MS market. My FBO won't notice but people in east MS will will have no choice but to drive to Jackson for scheduled airline service.
Not PIB? The Station Manager for Hattiesburg used to (or still might) live in Meridian, MS.

Not PIB? The Station Manager for Hattiesburg used to (or still might) live in Meridian, MS.

Sure they could go to PIB. It's only 61 miles vs 80 to JAN.
The problem is that PIB is served only by Northwest. When they operated out of MEI back in the mid 90s they were much more expensive than Delta was so they pulled chocks and left. The MOAs around here kept them at low altitude frequently so their fuel costs going to Memphis were outrageous.
In any case, it was apparent to me as far back as Sept that this was coming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom