Delvin Breaux ahead of schedule. Possible Week 6 return. (1 Viewer)

Rankins is 300lbs and Breaux is 200. The weight difference likely plays a bigger part. Rankins also had the same injury in the opposite leg in HS. I'd be very careful with our 13th pick.

Also, DTs use their legs for leverage a lot more, so theyre putting even more pressure on it.

Exactly to what extent were Breaux and Rankins' injuries? I know Rankins got rolled up on. So, just guessing, his was either a near or complete fracture. What happened to Breaux? Just know it's the same bone. But maybe Breaux's bone was just hairline or maybe a partial fracture.

No matter. The main difference between Breaux and Rankins aside from their size is Rankins' legs will need withstand FAR more pressure. He'll be bearing his own weight plus whatever force the offensive lineman is exerting on him.

Breaux will only get that from the occasional running play, briefly when he's jamming a WR, and making a tackle. But his bones won't get nearly the same stress.

If Breaux broke it on the special teams play as has been reported, then he continued to play on it for some additional downs. Obviously not a complicated break if that is the case. Rankins, we don't know location of break (nearer to ankle worse it is) or severity. Also, his size and force put on his legs during a game probably require more caution also.

Payton has always held players out longer and eased them in slower than most coaches. Which, is good as it gives backups reps and also makes sure that the injury has completely healed as someone 85-95% healed has a far greater chance of reinjury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The time frame for his (Rankins) injury was 6 to 8 weeks. By the time he is eligible to return in week 7 it will be after the full 8 week projection for his injury to heal. I hope he is full go in week 7. Is there any news how close he is?

The time frame for his (Rankins) injury was 6 to 8 weeks. By the time he is eligible to return in week 7 it will be after the full 8 week projection for his injury to heal. I hope he is full go in week 7. Is there any news how close he is?

His surgery was on the 16th of August. He will be at 8 weeks vs Carolina, 9 weeks in Week 7.

This isn't flame-baiting, this is a legitimate question --

Has there ever been an injured player under Payton that has returned ahead of originally scheduled and not weeks after?

I seem to recall Keenan Lewis rushing back last year but usually if Payton says six weeks, it's ten. If he says week to week, they are clinically dead and being carted around practice Weekend at Bernie's style.

I'm hopeful Breaux gets back soon, but I just feel like it's going to be one of those things like Byrd was where he's "a week away" for months.
Breaux's injury is much different than Byrd's. Fractures compared to ligaments..bones can heal faster unlike ligaments. Here's to hoping he's fully healed.

I don't recall if Breaux's even required surgery. I know Rankins had to get his set correctly. Bone heals back to full strength in about 8 weeks, I'm sure he's been doing the usual stuff to get it done quicker like hyperbaric treatment and possibly even some other tricks. With Rankins the actual issue will be conditioning. He'll probably just be in for 20 snaps or so to spell Fairly when he comes back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom