Dem ticket (1 Viewer)

cdogg

THE WOOD WAS BROUGHT
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I maybe wrong, but if they aren't stupid, shouldn't it be pretty much a Clinton/Obama or Obama/Clinton ticket? If so, could they lose?

While either of the top Dems are darlings of the media and it would energize their base to see them both on the same ticket, they are both so flawed that I find it difficult to believe that Americans could choose to be led by them. The only problem with that thinking is the weaknesses of the Republican candidates. Anything could happen, but sure, they could lose. Neither has administrated a budget of a city or state, neither can point to significant experience or accomplishment and Hillary at the top of the ticket could energize Republicans in a way no other candidate can. Add to those things the displeasure many Americans would have in continuing the Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton hold on our government and I can easily see the Dems losing in November if she is at the top of the ticket. I don't believe she would ever accept the VP slot.

I think it's very unlikely that he would consider her as VP. Clinton would hurt Obama's core message of change and drive away his independent/Republican support. A Washington outsider that helps with Latinos, Westerners, or Southerners makes more sense.

It would take major reconciliation for Obama to consider being her VP...especially with the coming onslaught of mud from Clintonco.

I think it's very unlikely that he would consider her as VP. Clinton would hurt Obama's core message of change and drive away his independent/Republican support. A Washington outsider that helps with Latinos, Westerners, or Southerners makes more sense.

It would take major reconciliation for Obama to consider being her VP...especially with the coming onslaught of mud from Clintonco.

If Obama wins the nomination, I believe his smartest choice for VP could be Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano. I actually believe she would have been a better choice for president than any of the otp Dems.

http://www.governor.state.az.us/

If Obama wins the nomination, I believe his smartest choice for VP could be Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano. I actually believe she would have been a better choice for president than any of the top Dems.

http://www.governor.state.az.us/

Napolitano would probably be the best female VP choice. She endorsed Obama and has helped with campaign work. Kathleen Sebelius is another popular two-term moderate female governor that some have mentioned. She should endorse after her SOTU response Monday.

Richardson and Edwards both have a chance depending on how the campaign plays out. I like Brian Schweitzer (MT gov), but he needs another term. Hopefully a real debate on Obama's VP can begin next month.

Obama will not choose Hillary as his VP. I guarantee that.

I will back up your guarantee that there will not be an Obama/Clinton ticket; I would love to see a Clinton/Obama ticket, though, and I think it could happen... Someone in another thread mentioned Wesley Clark as a VP candidate, and I like that as well.

I think a Clinton/Obama ticket is unlikely. She'll probably float the idea, considering she always looks at things from a political angle and from a reconciliation standpoint it's too good to pass up. I think it would be a mistake for him to accept. Her administration will be polarizing and he's too young to get caught up in all of that mess. Look at Gore. He was severely damaged by the Clinton legacy and Clinton fatigue. Assuming Clinton wins two terms of office, her Vice-President will have a hard time beating a Republican.

If Obama doesn't win the nomination, his best bet is probably to run for Governor of Illinois. He needs to get out of the Senate. It's hard for a Senator to become President.

My guess, however, is that if Clinton is the President she will nominate Obama to the Supreme Court. This would elevate her standing among African-Americans, from a legacy standpoint, and he is well-qualified considering his experience as a Con-Law lecturer at the University of Chicago and a star student at Harvard Law School. It also gets a rising-star out of the way and allows the Clintons to remain in charge of the party.

The final reason she probably won't want Obama as VP is that she has too many people within her own camp who are angling for the nomination and wants someone who will do her bidding and who will accept WJC as the real second-in-command.

The final reason she probably won't want Obama as VP is that she has too many people within her own camp who are angling for the nomination and wants someone who will do her bidding and who will accept WJC as the real second-in-command.

Probably been asked before-- but could she theoretically nominate WJC as Vice-Prez??

Possible Clinton running mates: Bill Richardson or Wesley Clark. It won't be Obama or Edwards.

I hadn't thought of nominating Obama to the Supreme Court. Interesting possibility. But it doesn't seem his thing. He could have had a Supreme Court clerkship after law school--which Hillary would have killed for--and showed no interest.

Last edited:
Obama has no desire to be on the Supreme Court. He has grand political aspirations not judicial aspirations.

Probably been asked before-- but could she theoretically nominate WJC as Vice-Prez??

It would probably have to go before the Supreme Court, I would think. It isn't explicitly spelled out that he can't, but the whole purpose of the Vice Presidency (to take over as President if needed) is negated because he's already served two terms.

As a practical matter, however, it won't happen. Not only would it be the most polarizing ticket in the history of politics but Hillary would be dogged by questions (and insinuations) about who the "real" President is. She won't be having any of that.

Obama has no desire to be on the Supreme Court. He has grand political aspirations not judicial aspirations.

If he doesn't win this go-around, it won't be a sure thing that he's up next for the Democrats. If Hillary wins, she is the candidate for the next eight years. Then her Vice-President has the inside track for the next nomination. It would be at least twelve years before Obama had a realistic chance to run for President if Hillary wins.

If Hillary loses, Al Gore will likely run in 2012. Obama might decide to sit that race out, although he would be a logical choice to be Gore's Vice-President. They are pretty similar in that they are more on the intellectual side, and being Gore's Vice-President wouldn't tarnish his record like being Clinton's VP.

I think a nomination to the Supreme Court would be very hard to pass up, especially considering that sitting around in the Senate makes it very tough to run for President. He would almost have to move on and become Governor of Illinois.

It would also be possible to run for President after serving on the Supreme Court. We've already had a President become a Supreme Court Justice after leaving office.

I think it's very unlikely that he would consider her as VP. Clinton would hurt Obama's core message of change and drive away his independent/Republican support.

I would be significantly less likely to vote for Obama if he had Hillary as his running mate.

I would be significantly less likely to vote for Obama if he had Hillary as his running mate.

Exactly. The thing is, however, that Barack won't choose Hillary as a running mate. He does not have to and he recognizes this. The irony is that the Clintons would need Barack more than he could ever have a need for them. He can win without them but I do not think the Clintons can beat the Republican ticket without Barack.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom