Saints Dennis Allen: Where can Saints defense improve in 2020? (1 Viewer)

I don't get the hate for DA, he's a good defensive Coordinator especially since he's been back with the Saints as he knows and works with Payton very well. He's put together some really good units and the Defense is fun to watch.

I don't hate Allen. I just don't think he's super great. Definitely don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I can't even imagine how good this group would be with a guy like Greg Williams as coordinator. We've been loaded on D for a few years now, but still struggle to field a top 10 unit. Giving up big plays at the worst times, playing prevent D and still allowing opponents to catch up. Those are my main issues. I'm glad Payton has stuck with him because the constant coaching carousel wasn't working. I just think we have the talent to be better.

I miss Gregg Williams. I know he has flaws but he is a genius DC. I don’t think we would have won that championship without him.

Last edited:
Moscona's biggest point was that our O was the main problem last year, not the D. I think he's right about that. We've addressed the deficiencies at O line, WR, and TE. If Brees' arm can hold up, that might be enough to get us back to the promised land. The team definitely needs to take a different approach to the postseason if we get there again. Our lackluster play against Minnesota at home was confounding.

Moscona's biggest point was that our O was the main problem last year, not the D. I think he's right about that. We've addressed the deficiencies at O line, WR, and TE. If Brees' arm can hold up, that might be enough to get us back to the promised land. The team definitely needs to take a different approach to the postseason if we get there again. Our lackluster play against Minnesota at home was confounding.

Isn't it funny, though, that even after missing Brees due to injury and struggling at times, we were top 3 in points scored? I know stats don't tell the whole story, but still pretty hard to believe. I think the main problem is showing up for the big games. The defense had it's share of problems, too, although much improved over what we're used to and actually won us some games. In all honesty, we are solid on both sides of the ball, but this team is going to have to dig a little deeper.

DA's defense was no 7 last year. What we sometimes fail to recognize is Time of Possession. Ours was pretty good last year, and it helped keep the D off the field. If we would have run the ball more, our TOP would have been even better, and our defensive rating would surely have been 1-2 places higher. In today's football, it's almost as important to keep high powered offenses off the field as to have a killer defense. Almost every offense in the NFL can score on defenses when they fling it.

Please fix 3rd and long always seeming to be converted easily either by penalty or blown coverage

DA's defenses have hovered around the 10-15 range the past three years. They've been a good defense but I think the talent is there to take the next step. Games aren't played on paper but I haven't felt this good about our defense on paper in years.

If this D Line can stay healthy then we're probably talking about a top 5 defense.

DA's defenses have hovered around the 10-15 range the past three years. They've been a good defense but I think the talent is there to take the next step. Games aren't played on paper but I haven't felt this good about our defense on paper in years.

If this D Line can stay healthy then we're probably talking about a top 5 defense.

That’s the thing. We’ve got the most talented defensive roster in what seems like 20 years. I’d think we should be able to get around top 5 status. However, giving up chunk plays in crucial moments and allowing offenses to move the ball easily in prevent defense is what is keeping us closer to average.

I don’t care what the ranking is honestly, as long as we’re winning. We’ve got to be better in those areas mentioned, though, as well as interceptions. We are certainly worlds better than we’re used to, but I know we are very capable of being even better. I just feel we may never reach the roster’s full potential with Allen as coordinator, but again, I am certainly glad to at least be average. We’ve always said give us an average defense, and we’d be unstoppable, but unfortunately the offense isn’t quite as deadly as it once was. Going to have to dig deeper somehow.

That’s the thing. We’ve got the most talented defensive roster in what seems like 20 years. I’d think we should be able to get around top 5 status. However, giving up chunk plays in crucial moments and allowing offenses to move the ball easily in prevent defense is what is keeping us closer to average.

I don’t care what the ranking is honestly, as long as we’re winning. We’ve got to be better in those areas mentioned, though, as well as interceptions. We are certainly worlds better than we’re used to, but I know we are very capable of being even better. I just feel we may never reach the roster’s full potential with Allen as coordinator, but again, I am certainly glad to at least be average. We’ve always said give us an average defense, and we’d be unstoppable, but unfortunately the offense isn’t quite as deadly as it once was. Going to have to dig deeper somehow.

Yep. All these years we wanted just an average defense and now we have a solid unit but the offense is coming back to earth. Maybe this year they meet in the middle and find the sweet spot.

They definitely need to improve the situational awareness. I kept thinking that a lot of these mistakes were a result of having so many young players. I chalked it up to growing pains. But these mistakes keep happening in critical situations. These guys now have years of experience in DA's defense so it's hard to blame it on youth. That can no longer be an excuse with veterans all over the field. If it doesn't happen this year then it just isn't going to happen with DA.

Gotta have a good pass rush to get the QB off his mark. This makes QB at times throw the ball away and make costly turnovers. That's how Saints won Super Bowl "CAUSING TURNOVERS". That's what needs to happen. Stop the run and cause turnovers, then hopefully with this offense they take advantage of those and turn them into points. :facts3:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom