Dennis Allen will have the personnel to run multiple 4-3 or 3-4 more this year than before (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
Dennis Allen ought to be able to run a lot more 3-4 with the new personnel brought in like Baun & Hunt.

Cam, Hunt, Edwards, Rankins, Onyemata, Loewen & Tuttle could all play 3-4 DE. Baun, Davenport, Granderson, Spence, and T-Rex could all play some 3-4 OLB. Davis, Anzalone, Kiko, Robertson, and Elliss could all play 3-4 ILB. Then Brown, Stallworth, Hunt with his size could play 3-4 NT.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more 3-4 this year with those 2 new guys added to the squad.

Last edited:
I think they did a lot of their 3 man fronts last year in dime (3-2-6). I like the idea of Baun in that as a wild card to either rush or stay back.

I could see Baun in a 3-3-5 nickel set also. Same role. You could even Green-Dog him. Not sure if we ran that much before. Usually take a LB off in nickel.

Of course, we blitz with 5-6 rushing at times also.

Not sure if I like a switch to a pure 3-4 base. I don't think we really have the LBs for it. I guess it really just matters how you qualify Davenport. He should almost always be rushing the passer though. Jordan did better wider as a 4-3 DE in his career also. I don't know if that is just correlation or causation.

It's pretty fluid with Allen so no major complaints either way but I think we are best as a 4-3 base.

Last edited:
Dennis Allen ought to be able to run a lot more 3-4 with the new personnel brought in like Baun & Hunt.

Cam, Hunt, Edwards, Rankins, Onyemata, Loewen & Tuttle could all play 3-4 DE. Baun, Davenport, Granderson, Spence, and T-Rex could all play some 3-4 OLB. Davis, Anzalone, Kiko, Robertson, and Elliss could all play 3-4 ILB. Then Brown, Stallworth, Hunt with his size could play 3-4 NT.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see more 3-4 this year with those 2 new guys added to the squad.
We barely have 3 NFL linebackers. Just don’t see the personnel for a 3-4.

We barely have 3 NFL linebackers. Just don’t see the personnel for a 3-4.

If (...and that's a big IF) we have healthy veterans Elliss, Alonso, Robertson, Demario and Thor, along with the rooks, we will have a very competitive camp!

:gosaints:

Just make it stop ! Dennis needs to focus on the basics and let the balls play. No need to switch up what’s already working but just needs a few tweaks

This is Allen’s audition season for another team. If he can’t elevate these players and put them in a position to succeed, then CSP needs get him rolled out of here. At this point when he does have the talent on the roster, they’re never in a good setup when the game is on the line.

Dennis Allen will have the personnel to run multiple 4-3 or 3-4 more this year than before

So, what you're saying is that DA will have multiple options to:

- let the DB's watch WR's run pass them, watch them catch the pass, then *attempt* to make the tackle.
- Have the D play well BEHIND the 1st Down Markers on 3rd down pass plays

and

- Play "Prevent" on 3rd 0r 4th and LONG!!! (Or at the end of halves.)

Too bad he can't influence the D too play ALL THE TIME like they did when Teddy was in at QB!

smh

What's unique about this roster, on paper at least, is that we'll be able to be multiple up front and in the Secondary. We've never had this many versatile players all over the field.

We're going to have some pretty solid players on the sideline watching because there simply isn't enough room. We can only play 11.

I’m not saying I want to see us switch to a 3-4 defense cause I’m not a fan of that defense. Unless you have a Von Miller, Khalil Mack, or the Dome Patrol a four man front is better at getting a pass rush IMO. I prefer the 4-3, but to keep offenses off balance & guessing we have the personnel to run the 3-4 from time to time unlike most 4-3 teams.

Last edited:
I think they did a lot of their 3 man fronts last year in dime (3-2-6). I like the idea of Baun in that as a wild card to either rush or stay back.

I could see Baun in a 3-3-5 nickel set also. Same role. You could even Green-Dog him. Not sure if we ran that much before. Usually take a LB off in nickel.

Of course, we blitz with 5-6 rushing at times also.

Not sure if I like a switch to a pure 3-4 base. I don't think we really have the LBs for it. I guess it really just matters how you qualify Davenport. He should almost always be rushing the passer though. Jordan did better wider as a 4-3 DE in his career also. I don't know if that is just correlation or causation.

It's pretty fluid with Allen so no major complaints either way but I think we are best as a 4-3 base.
Yea I’m not sure we have the LBs for a 3-4 either
I liek a healthy dose of 4-3 as we have some great interior linemen

I’m not saying I want to see us switch to a 3-4 defense cause I’m not a fan of that defense. Unless you have a Von Miller, Khalil Mack, or the Dome Patrol a four man front is better at getting a pass rush IMO. I prefer the 4-3, but to keep offenses off balance & guessing we have the personnel to run the 3-4 from time to time unlike most 4-3 teams.
Some are just not getting your point. We are not switching to a 3-4 Defense. We have players that are versatile and we are able to run multiple defensive fronts. Which is what DA said he wanted to do since he has become defensive coordinator.

I don't care what he runs, as long as he improves his situational play-calling. The big pass that Thielen caught was mostly because of him calling a cover 3 look after losing Lattimore with Jenkins/Prob on the field. That's pretty much the DB's in single coverage on the outside(deep 3rd) with the FS having to choose who to help. Got to know your personnel at that moment and help P-Rob and Marcus Williams have an easier time at it. He basically left Robinson out to dry and told Williams pick your poison. Williams shaded to Jenkins side from the start and Robinson got burned at the snap and all the Vikings QB had to do was toss it up in the air for an easy pitch and catch.

Blitz to hurry the throw or call some form of Cover 2 man Under.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom