Dennis Allen's defense (1 Viewer)

I'm not interested in playing the blame game for one specific game of the season. It's my opinion that we have the talent on defense to be dominant and we aren't.

It's rare, if ever, that you think "what a perfectly called blitz" or anything of that nature with Allen. Yet, he'll call cover zero or rush three at the worst times imaginable. He consistently leaves players like PJ Williams on an island in deep coverage despite everyone in the world knowing PJ can't cover deep.

We got beat by the Vikings on outside running plays that EVERYONE knew were coming. People constantly complain here that we can't "just" rely on Michael Thomas, because one or two games a year, other teams manage to take him away. But Dennis Allen is incapable of taking away what everyone knows is coming from the other team, despite having all pros at every level of the defense.

Allen isn't horrible, but he's not really all that great either. It's similar to having TQS or Ted Ginn as your #2 receiver. We could do a lot better.
Yet we let Mike Nolan get away.

The problem was not the defense, the problem was the offense couldn't get it into gear. I don't understand why people don't / cant see how talented and fun to watch this defense is....but its probably because people think when the offense doesn't show up its on the defense to win the game, but you cant keep a defense on the field for 30min and not expect them to tire or for a more plays to be made on them than the opposing defense that's not nearly on the field as long as said defense for plays to be made on.
Our defense is only fun to watch for the first 58 mins of a game. The last two minutes are only fun for the other team’s fans.

So I'm curious on what people think we need to do at Linebacker? Outside of Davis who I wish we could clone we have some big decisions in 2020. AJ Klein - does he come back and how much is he worth as a part timer? He was losing snaps to Anzalone and Kiko until injuries derailed their seasons. Speaking of Kiko with the seriousness of his recurring injury it would seem that his time in B&G is over. Thor has been solid when he has been healthy. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to keep off IR to be considered a lock going forward.
IMO Linebacker is a HUGE position of need for this team to have success in 2020. With limited draft capital it would seem Free Agency is the correct path.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom