Dennis Allen's defense (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
They have looked good during the season yet have failed us when it mattered most. In both Vikings playoff loses. Yes Drew didn't play his best in this last game but we need a D we can rely on in big moments. We have a lot of solid pieces to the D but some cancers that will kill the body aka Marcus Williams. Lattimore losing his composure doesnt make Allen look any better either. It's a sound D against the run but doesn't get enough defensive turnovers or scores which was vital to our Super Bowl run. It's time for a change.

When the Saints play good defenses it seems like the field shrinks. There's little room to make catches and almost no space to run after the catch. But with DA's defense there just seems to be so much space. Receivers have room to make catches and they have space to run after the catch.

It's hard to articulate but there's always so much open space. In the beginning I attributed this to DA not having enough talent. I thought it was a personnel issue. But now? I don't know what it is. This defense has talent.

I haven't looked at the stats, but my impression from watching the season (and from last year too) is that our defense is mostly solid on 1st & 2nd down. On 3rd down, particularly when the offensive play call should be pretty predictable, we poop the bed. It doesn't matter if it's 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 30....it feels like opposing offenses have just as good a shot at getting off a long throw for 40 yards as they do picking up 2 for a 1st down. And when they do manage to hold, 5 times out of 10 there will be a flag flying in to save the day.

Not a big fan of DA’s schemes. He doesn’t seem to put his players in place to make plays. All season, the D was gashed by outside runs, stretch plays, etc. Yet, the defense was gashed by outside plays throughout the first half. No excuse for self scouting that. SF and Tenn exploited the defense in the same manner.

We held them to 20 points in regulation and the defense spent a hell of a lot more time on the field than the offense. That should be good enough to secure a win at home in regulation.

True.
Just as a few weeks ago we were all lamenting that we’d scored 46, at home, and still lost. That is absolutely inexcusable imo. So both units have failed us recently. Unfathomable. Sadly, that game is when I knew it likely would end poorly for us.

The problem was not the defense, the problem was the offense couldn't get it into gear. I don't understand why people don't / cant see how talented and fun to watch this defense is....but its probably because people think when the offense doesn't show up its on the defense to win the game, but you cant keep a defense on the field for 30min and not expect them to tire or for a more plays to be made on them than the opposing defense that's not nearly on the field as long as said defense for plays to be made on.

We held them to 20 points in regulation and the defense spent a hell of a lot more time on the field than the offense. That should be good enough to secure a win at home in regulation.
Not on that ot final drive. It's a good D not a great D with a lot to be desired. I agree offense plays better we win the game.

Not on that ot final drive. It's a good D not a great D with a lot to be desired. I agree offense plays better we win the game.

It’s not hyperbole to state that we have the worst D in the league when it comes to closing out a game. It’s almost guaranteed when we are in that position that we will fold. We all feel it too.
I knew when we lost the toss in OT, that our season was over.

You think those guys weren't totally gassed by the time they were on the field in OT? They beat us in TOP by nearly 10 minutes. They ran 73 plays on offense to our 51. They ran the ball nearly as many times (40) as we ran total plays.

Last edited:
Did they fail us though? They held a good offense to 20, allowing one touchdown per half while the Saints O-line got absolutely lit up play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after after play after play after play after play after play.

This game should not have been remotely competitive. The defense is what made sure it was.

Did they fail us though? They held a good offense to 20, allowing one touchdown per half while the Saints O-line got absolutely lit up play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after play after after play after play after play after play after play.

This game should not have been remotely competitive. The defense is what made sure it was.

For as highly touted as they are, they did fail us miserably. That was the most surprising thing to me. (O line)

The big play in overtime was summation of the same thing that happened 2 years ago. No pressure on the QB. WR beats his man to make the catch. Safety out of position to have any effect on the play. When the same mistakes or issues occur on a consistent basis then you have to look at coaching.

They have looked good during the season yet have failed us when it mattered most. In both Vikings playoff loses. Yes Drew didn't play his best in this last game but we need a D we can rely on in big moments. We have a lot of solid pieces to the D but some cancers that will kill the body aka Marcus Williams. Lattimore losing his composure doesnt make Allen look any better either. It's a sound D against the run but doesn't get enough defensive turnovers or scores which was vital to our Super Bowl run. It's time for a change.
Wade Phillips tweeted that his contract with the Rams will not be renewed. :unsure:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom