Dennis Leary helping NOLA firefighters (1 Viewer)

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
New Orleans' record on rebuilding firehouses: 0-22

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- New Orleans has yet to rebuild a single fire station more than two years after Katrina destroyed or damaged 22 of the city's 33 firehouses. Appalled by the city's lack of action, an actor is leading the way in reconstruction of the fire stations.

Without city help, firefighters have resorted to repairing their stations along with volunteer carpenters.

"I gave up on ever hoping that politicians in this country -- local, state or federal -- would step in to help these guys," actor Dennis Leary told CNN.

Leary, who stars as a firefighter on a TV show called "Rescue Me," is using his charitable foundation to bring together volunteers from a New York carpenter's union and the New Orleans Fire Department to rebuild the stations. So far, they've rebuilt five, with two more slated to be finished in a couple months.

Leary says it's a sad commentary on society when actors and musicians become the key players in helping a city rebound. Brad Pitt, Harry Connick Jr. and U2's The Edge are among the stars helping out across New Orleans. See the desperate state of the firehouses »

"We have The Edge, you know, an Irish musician coming over here to help solve the problems in New Orleans," he said.

"But we can't get FEMA or our own president to respond. It's not shameful, it is just funny."

He added, "I have so given up on ever getting a politician's head to turn and face facts in that situation."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/24/nola.firehouses/index.html

:jauhnny:

Denis Leary is my favorite actor. Not only is he a good actor, he's a very funny comedian. Rescue Me is really really good.

22 out of 33?? Sad indeed.

Is it possible to put a heavy tax on all commercial traffic floating up or down the MS River? Dedicate it all to the firehouses first and then hospitals or whatever else the priority is. Seems to me this is an ace up NO sleeve...I would stack traffic up on top of one another until someone took notice.

John Fogerty would be proud.

He is right about the politicians. Disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:
there are so many things we could do at the port and river that would pay for a lot of this stuff but i think we are too afraid to do it...

there are so many things we could do at the port and river that would pay for a lot of this stuff but i think we are too afraid to do it...

There must be some law that prevents it. I can't imagine being too afraid is the reason. I would stack them up like cords of wood.

bumpity bump bump...

seems this can't even get SR excited...I know I haven't done enough lately so I surely can't point any fingers. Just wishing the City could get healthy again.

It's good to see that some celebrities actually putting their money and time where their mouth is rather than using a charity just to boost their careers. Dennis Leary, Sean Penn, Bono, The Edge, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Harry Connick Jr have all done a wonderful job keeping the problems that New Orleans continues to face in the public conscientious. I also believe they love New Orleans and are truly sincere with their efforts. Unlike some other phony celebrities who use these causes just for photo ops. I may not always agree with some of their politics, but anyone who is making such an effort to help rebuild New Orleans is OK in my book. God bless them all.

Thank you, Dennis Leary.........:clapbig:

There must be some law that prevents it. I can't imagine being too afraid is the reason. I would stack them up like cords of wood.

law or no law, drastic times drastic measures...
we are too scared to bring the oil bidness and the shipping bidness to their knees.
i bet if we did, we would be getting tons of attention from the feds in all regards. things are slowly getting better though...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom