Denver wants to hire Sean, its up to Sean now (1 Viewer)

Sean is holding out for something or cooling on the offer. You don't need a second interview with a proven coach.

I've felt from the beginning that there was really just one job he wanted and that job didn't come available like he thought it would. I can see him going back to the Fox for another year and that job may become available next year.

this year's late first, both early 3rds this year, and next year's first.
Sean is holding out for something or cooling on the offer. You don't need a second interview with a proven coach.

oh come on now. Yes, you do, when you're considering paying him tens of millions of dollars annually, on top of (hopefully) enormous draft capital. I don't care if it's Bill Belichick. I'm having a follow-up interview.

I've felt from the beginning that there was really just one job he wanted and that job didn't come available like he thought it would. I can see him going back to the Fox for another year and that job may become available next year.
I tend to agree with you that it was one job - the Chargers, that he really wanted. That did not come open so he was left with feeding his huge ego by letting the other not so desirable teams court him. I am coming to the view that it is very possible that he decides to stay in broadcasting, betting on better options coming open next year. That IMO is a crap shoot, but it is what it is.

I was really hoping and expecting him to get hired this year so we could accrue those extra picks, which we badly need, but we just have to work with what we have if he does not pick a team this year!

I tend to agree with you that it was one job - the Chargers, that he really wanted. That did not come open so he was left with feeding his huge ego by letting the other not so desirable teams court him. I am coming to the view that it is very possible that he decides to stay in broadcasting, betting on better options coming open next year. That IMO is a crap shoot, but it is what it is.

I was really hoping and expecting him to get hired this year so we could accrue those extra picks, which we badly need, but we just have to work with what we have if he does not pick a team this year!
Well if the Chargers does well and they continue with their coach the following year, then Sean screwed himself. Sometimes the best choice is not your first choice. In fact in 2006, the Saints was way down the bottom of his list. But it became the best decision he ever made.

:munch:

Jeff Duncan went on a Denver radio show last night and said the Payton 2nd interview with Denver was delayed because Rob Walton was on a hunting trip. Duncan got roasted by the Denver media and fanbase.

To think just last night I had someone on here try to tell me Duncan’s info is good and that he’s plugged in. That man does not have sources when it comes to big stories and hasn’t done since his bountygate diatribe.

this year's late first, both early 3rds this year, and next year's first.

oh come on now. Yes, you do, when you're considering paying him tens of millions of dollars annually, on top of (hopefully) enormous draft capital. I don't care if it's Bill Belichick. I'm having a follow-up interview.
Understand what you're saying but that's just a formality, like a minority interview, with someone like Sean. It looks like he's playing games since no one has scheduled a follow-up.

To think just last night I had someone on here try to tell me Duncan’s info is good and that he’s plugged in. That man does not have sources when it comes to big stories and hasn’t done since his bountygate diatribe.
Same reporter. It happens. Still right more than he’s wrong.

Anyway, to the point, it’s looking more likely that Payton returns to Fox. Which…Duncan said earlier in the week, so 🤷‍♂️

Well if the Chargers does well and they continue with their coach the following year, then Sean screwed himself. Sometimes the best choice is not your first choice. In fact in 2006, the Saints was way down the bottom of his list. But it became the best decision he ever made.

I don't see the Chargers meeting Payton's asking price. Unless he only put out $20-25 million a year as his big number and he'd take $10 million a year for the Chargers job. That's, like you said, if it becomes available.

Duncan has the same credibility as SR.com user SaintsFan376549012

Its amazing he is able to stay employed.

I don't see the Chargers meeting Payton's asking price. Unless he only put out $20-25 million a year as his big number and he'd take $10 million a year for the Chargers job. That's, like you said, if it becomes available.
I agree with you. When he saw the Chargers job wouldn't open I guess he figured he'd throw out a number that he figured no one would match and just go back to broadcasting. If the reports are true and Denver is offering him the job at over 25 million a year he may have backed himself into a corner. He either has to take a job he doesn't really want or turns it down and now everyone thinks it'll take too much to sign him between what you'd have to pay him and what you have to give to the Saints.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom