Denver's Blocking Scheme (cut blocking) (1 Viewer)

That's been Denver's image for years now, they are a very dirty team. I don't wish for this to happen, but if someone were pushed out of bounds and rolled up Shannahans knee I wouldn't feel sorry for the guy.

You know what that is such bull about Denver being a dirty team, I can understand the criticism about their blocking scheme but how many people on average are in anyway injured from it?. Because watching The Broncos for 10 years now I can say it is not very often in fact I can not recall a singal instance of it happening so if you have some stats please enlighten me. As for that comment about shannahan's knees thats just wrong. Name one instance of this team being so called Dirty, if anything Shannahan runs one of the biggest character discipline driven teams in the NFL, so really in the end that is just wrong to say about the guy and dispecaple to wish harm on another person like that.

You know what that is such bull about Denver being a dirty team, I can understand the criticism about their blocking scheme but how many people on average are in anyway injured from it?. Because watching The Broncos for 10 years now I can say it is not very often in fact I can not recall a singal instance of it happening so if you have some stats please enlighten me. As for that comment about shannahan's knees thats just wrong. Name one instance of this team being so called Dirty, if anything Shannahan runs one of the biggest character discipline driven teams in the NFL, so really in the end that is just wrong to say about the guy and dispecaple to wish harm on another person like that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/10/29/denver.chopblock/index.html

Must not have been watching very carefully for the past ten years.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/10/29/denver.chopblock/index.html

Must not have been watching very carefully for the past ten years.

You know what i will admit I never realized as many people got hurt doing this as it is but I still stand by my original post and that it is dispicaple to wish harm on another person. the fact remains Denver has always played within the rules of the game and to say Denver is dirty is silly. Just like I could argue that it was dirty for a team to consistently horse collar or go after a QBs knees as many teams did in the past when it was legal, but now its not legal, but does it make it right back when it was legal? How come we didn't call every other team dirty for doing that stuff? Is it not wrong to go after the knees of a quarterback the way almost every team did when it was legal? Why then aren't you all saying all teams are or were dirty? Teams will play within the rules of the game, this is football not pee-wee touch and teams and coaches live and die by their records and I would challenge anyone to find an instance where their favorite team didn't do something a large number of people consider dirty.

Punching the guy was just stupid. Yeah, that block might have been cheap but these are supposed to be "professional" athletes and part of that is keeping your emotions in check. Many a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty has cost teams victories. All because some overgrown man child can't keep it in check.

That said, the NFL should convene an in-depth investigation of the Broncos tactics.

You know what i will admit I never realized as many people got hurt doing this as it is but I still stand by my original post and that it is dispicaple to wish harm on another person. the fact remains Denver has always played within the rules of the game and to say Denver is dirty is silly. Just like I could argue that it was dirty for a team to consistently horse collar or go after a QBs knees as many teams did in the past when it was legal, but now its not legal, but does it make it right back when it was legal? How come we didn't call every other team dirty for doing that stuff? Is it not wrong to go after the knees of a quarterback the way almost every team did when it was legal? Why then aren't you all saying all teams are or were dirty? Teams will play within the rules of the game, this is football not pee-wee touch and teams and coaches live and die by their records and I would challenge anyone to find an instance where their favorite team didn't do something a large number of people consider dirty.

There are unwritten rules in all sports.

Denver has employed a run-blocking scheme that is infamous for exploiting such a rule in football.

Is it legal? Yes.
Does that make it alright to do? No. Not in my and many other people's opinions.

And don't take it so personal to your Broncos. Many, many players have been rightly called dirty for numerous reasons. This thread just so happens to be about your Broncos.

You're wrong. What they do is dirty. That's why I hate them so much.

I believe my exact words were "I don't wish for this to happen" so learn to read, please. Also, we all agree that Denver is playing within the rules that doesn't mean they aren't a cheap, dirty team. Finally, the team in question here is Denver, what any other team did in the past or does now is irrelevant to this discussion of the Denver Broncos and quite frankly no one has said that the Broncos were the only dirty team in the history of professional football.

Can't back you on this. Norman Hand was taken out twice by the Broncs. Killed our run defense.

I believe my exact words were "I don't wish for this to happen" so learn to read, please. Also, we all agree that Denver is playing within the rules that doesn't mean they aren't a cheap, dirty team. Finally, the team in question here is Denver, what any other team did in the past or does now is irrelevant to this discussion of the Denver Broncos and quite frankly no one has said that the Broncos were the only dirty team in the history of professional football.

There are some things that you need to keep in mind, nobody really believes that Zone Blocking is dirty, and this is the scheme that Denver uses. Zone Blocking is when an O-lineman is assigned an area to block instead of a specific person. So he may end up against a DT, DE, LB, or Safety whoever is trying to come through that space.

This is different from cut blocking which a lot of people think is dirty, and depending on how it is done is illegal. Cut blocking simply put is going for the legs.

Every team has injured somebody by doing something within the rules so it is unfair to point to the Broncos as being dirtier than anybody else.

It is also important to point out that cut blocking has been looked at many times and still hasn't been declared illegal whereas things like the horse collar tackle have been looked at and changed because of the threat of injury. So how i ask again is Denver any dirtier then any other team out there? I agree that Nalen shot was cheap and wrong but every team has had players injured by offensive lineman and to merit several plays of certain members of a team as the reflection of the whole organization is simplly silly, so arguing Denver is the dirtiest team is stupid.

You know what that is such bull about Denver being a dirty team, I can understand the criticism about their blocking scheme but how many people on average are in anyway injured from it?

As the Dr. Z link showed earlier in the thread, lots of people have been injured by the Denver cut/chop blocking scheme. (Yeah, I know there's a difference, but all it takes is a split second difference and misjudgment and cut = chop.)

The other thing is, probably a lot of DLs take themselves out of the play to avoid being hurt and having their careers ended -- after all, you don't have to play Denver every week. Just because they don't injure a DL every game doesn't mean the dirty play isn't dirty or effective.

The only question I have is why more teams don't do it? Or at least do it against Denver's DL? (That would make for interesting discussions among Denver players.) Can it be that Shanahan and Mora Jr. are the worst, most evil coaches out there?

The 49'ers made a living off those schemes, and a couple of Super Bowls. Prominent teams get the calls, teams like the Saints do not. The cowboys were benefactors of alot of home cookin' yesterday. Gotta get there to be on a level playing field.

Zone blocking doesn't require you to simply fall down into the side of the legs of temporarily-unchecked the DL next to you and roll them up which is right now legal to do between the tackles.

A chop is a two-man drill when OL #1 engages a DL and OL#2 chops his legs. That's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about OL in zone blocking schemes who find temporarily unengaged DL and roll into their legs from the side and the back. You can't do it any place else on the field, but it's legal between the tackles.

Lots of things used to be legal, but public-image pressure, because they were visible, took them away. Imagine a simple toss sweep right, the defense flowing to the side with the play. It used to be perfectly legal for a WR to sprint back towards the middle of the field and take out the linebacker's legs from under him. These crackback blocks shortened the careers of guys like Dick Butkus. They were defenseless. How much more prepared can a running, unengaged DL be if he's got to track the ball carrier.

Zimmerman has it right; you can cut a guy in front of you, because he knows you're there and he's got to get ready. Otherwise, it's just a legal clip.

Punching the guy was just stupid. Yeah, that block might have been cheap but these are supposed to be "professional" athletes and part of that is keeping your emotions in check. Many a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty has cost teams victories. All because some overgrown man child can't keep it in check.

That said, the NFL should convene an in-depth investigation of the Broncos tactics.

Your right punching the guy probably wasn't the smartest thing to do... But put yourself in his shoes, you've had your knee repaired once already, and here is this guy so blatantly going after your knee for no other reason then to injure you... I don't know that many people would be able to hold in their rage at that point. I myself was furious when i saw it.

I'm curious to see what the league says about that play....

There are unwritten rules in all sports.

Denver has employed a run-blocking scheme that is infamous for exploiting such a rule in football.

Is it legal? Yes.
Does that make it alright to do? No. Not in my and many other people's opinions.

And don't take it so personal to your Broncos. Many, many players have been rightly called dirty for numerous reasons. This thread just so happens to be about your Broncos.

i am not mad about anything, I am just trying to point out that calling a team the dirtiest because of the play of the offensive line who runs a scheme that has been looked at numerous times and still found to be legal is silly. A few players don't make the whole team, what i am arguing is calling Denver the dirtiest because of the play of a few individuals, when every year teams have several players that commit questionable things just as bad or worse. Rodney harrison has been voted the dirtiest player but people don't call New England the dirtiest team, many argue that the steelers linemen intentionally went for plamers legs yet because of that we don't call the steelers the dirtiest team why then Denver why criticize shannahan when numerous coaches if not all do things many of you would question immorally wrong?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom