Denver's Blocking Scheme (cut blocking) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
After seeing Nalen go low on Olhansky and Olhansky's subsequent reaction to the play, I'm lead to believe that most defensive players resent whatever rule allows it. I'm not sure, but it seems like Denver knows what they're doing is dirty (but within the rules) and therefore their offensive line does not talk to the media, as they know that most media questions would surround this subject...its tough to answer questions defensively about putting other players in danger. I think Olshansky had all the right in the world to smack Nalen. Denver has got to be the dirtiest team in the league. Shanahan is one of the dirtier coaches. It seems like he tests the limits with all the rules concerning injury notification each year too. Can someone enlighten us on why this style of cutblocking is still allowed?

it seemed very dirty to me...for those who didnt' see it was a spike play to stop the clock. No one else on the line moved but this guy dove straight into the knee of the Raiders DT and he punched him in the head. I can't hardly blame him

That's been Denver's image for years now, they are a very dirty team. I don't wish for this to happen, but if someone were pushed out of bounds and rolled up Shannahans knee I wouldn't feel sorry for the guy.

I couldn't believe what the Chargers player was thinking. I then saw the replay and I understood why. That was the 1 Bronco player that went to his knee when everyone else just kind of stood up.

Because the league cares about image, and what the public sees and thinks might be dangerous and/or nasty, like an injury to a quarterback, but not what the public really doesn't see, and that's cut blocks.

it seemed very dirty to me...for those who didnt' see it was a spike play to stop the clock. No one else on the line moved but this guy dove straight into the knee of the Raiders DT and he punched him in the head. I can't hardly blame him

Wow. I didn't see it, but that's totally unnecessary.

The NFL will bend over backwards to protect a QB, but allows a blocking scheme that requires the OL's to dive at DL's knees? More teams are starting to use it, which means more injuries and fights will happen because of this and the NFL will eventually have to do something about it.

Yep i was watching the game when the Denver guy did it... First thought that came to my mind was dirtbag... I was furious when i saw it, and i felt he was more then justified for swinging at the guy afterwords. There was absolutely no question what that guy was up to, and IMO they both should of been ejected.... The guy who went for his knees should be suspended games, he was trying to hurt the charger lineman, maybe even trying to end his season. After i watched that play it made me hate the broncos and the rat even more then i did before.

Ah, defensive linemen are a bunch of wusses. It's not touch football ladies.

. . .

just kidding

Celebrating a TD in this league is 15 yard personal foul, but going for someones knees is no foul. Denver and Atlanta are Satan's team.

IIRC Olhansky is coming off knee surgery as well.

...and, why was that not a late hit by Nalen?

At this time, cut blocking is perfectly legal. I have no problem with it. Now, on the other hand, chop blocking, where an o-lineman and a d-lineman are engaged and another o-lineman chops the said d-lineman at the side of the knee, is cheap and repulsive. D-linemen are taught to use their hands and should be able to fend off a cut block. Now, I do feel that if an o-lineman allows a d-lineman to penetrate and then cut him from the side, that should be illegal. More knee injuries occur from a blow to the outside of the knee than directly to the front. If cut blocking should be illegal, then what about the safety/db that dives directly at the legs of a big RB or TE? What's the difference?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that when I posted the link. That was Olshansky's surgically repaired knee Nalen went after.
It seems to me that this "blocking scheme" is more like a dastardly plan; take Olshansky out of the game one way or the other. Why that is not a late hit or personal foul is beyond me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom