Denzel Washington Good or Bad Acting (1 Viewer)

Is he great or is he not?

• Great Actor

Votes: 113 79.0%
  • Average Actor

Votes: 28 19.6%
  • Bad Actor

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm watching this movie called Safe House with Denzel Washington and was discussing it with my brother. On one hand he does a great job at what he does. He always plays the same character, angry guy trying to keep it together. He does that role great. But what other range does he have? Does being considered a great actor mean he should be able to play more than one role or just one role great? I could change the character from Man on Fire to this one in Safe House and he is basically the same guy. So great actor or just average?

NotOnHerb

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
What about American Gangster, Training Day, etc.

While I do think he tends to have a standard character for many of his roles, I believe he is actually a very good actor.

Reaction score
I would have chosen something just below great but certainly not average in acting but he has been in a bunch of great movies so with the limited options, I go great.

OP
OP
Semper

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Man on Fire and John Q two of my favorite movies. Deja Vu and Training Day were pretty good. Bone collector would be one that is "out of character" for him, also "Remember the Titans".

I'd say that in Remember the Titans he was still and angry guy that was holding it all in. On a personal level I can't say I have ever seen a movie he was in that I didn't like, including Eli. I loved that movie. I've never seen Bone Collector though.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
Just below great, but above average. He has a great, smooth delivery and I believe his lines and his passion. However, I agree that his range seems to be limited and I always just think of him as Denzel playing a role.

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I voted great. He does have a "niche" character of sorts, but he usually nails it. I thought he did a great job as a drunk in Flight.

I can't think of too many of his movies that I didn't like. Great may be a stretch, but he's much better than average and 'bad actor' should not be a poll option.

Sun Wukong

Kicker's, Inc. Superfan
Reaction score
He has the potential to be very good (and has realized it many times), but he phones it in a lot.

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Outstanding actor. Lately he has phoned in a few of his roles, you can tell he is at that point in his career. But make no mistake, Denzel is one of the best.

Go watch Malcolm X then go on youtube and look up some old Malcolm interviews. Incredible.

Man on Fire, Training day, The Great Debaters, Remember the Titans, Glory.....Denzel is a beast.

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Outstanding actor. Lately he has phoned in a few of his roles, you can tell he is at that point in his career. But make no mistake, Denzel is one of the best.

Go watch Malcolm X then go on youtube and look up some old Malcolm interviews. Incredible.

Man on Fire, Training day, The Great Debaters, Remember the Titans, Glory.....Denzel is a beast.

I get the point that the OP is trying to make. He is a good actor, but takes similar roles, so while he is good at what he does, he is very niche.

JuJuNola

Lifer
Reaction score
I'd say Denzel is a great actor! My absolute favorite movie is Philadelphia, with Hurricane following. He and Tom were phenomenal. I bawled like a baby.

Charlie Brizzown

Good grief
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Denzel Washington, the best actor EVER!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cUVqTzvyudQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Paul

Run!!!
Reaction score
Great actor, though I do agree that he ends up being the same guy in some movies.

BIG E

SR is my life!
Reaction score
He was also very good in Philadelphia. I would also put him well above average not great.

SaintBrad

Very Banned
Reaction score
I get the point that the OP is trying to make. He is a good actor, but takes similar roles, so while he is good at what he does, he is very niche.

This to the T. He has, for the most part, 1 character he is capable at playing. This is why he was more successful in his early years, because the character was new. But now, if we see a DW movie, we know the character before the screen is even turned on since we've seen this character for 20 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom