Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury (3 Viewers)

Nah he's a blast from the past. Fury - assuming he could always fight like last night - would have obliterated Norton, Frazier, Shavers, Lyles, Foreman, Tyson, Holyfield, Marciano, Lewis, Riddock Bowe and Larry Holmes. Maybe Marciano, Frasier and Tyson would eaten the overhand right for a few rounds and got a few good body shots in. The others would either have been too slow to block, or simply too weak to generate any offense against Fury.

ONLY, and ONLY Ali could make him look like a clown. Ali would get him tired, distracted and catch him off-balance with that mean uppercut salvo a few times to demoralize him. Then he would have used the anchor punch to slit him open like Jerry Quarry. No disrespect to the others. All greats, but not the Greatest. Ali could win any fight he wanted to. That's just how bad Ali was. Badder than John Shaft! Badder than Leroy Brown! Bomba ye!
There's no way Fury gets by Tyson, Foreman, Norton, Frazier, or even Holyfield in their prime. Fury looks good against today's competition, but he'd have gotten pummeled by any of those fighters. JMHO, FWIW. Yeah, it's still fun to speculate.

Yeah I truly believe the two liked one another well enough before the fight. They tried to act like they hated one another before the fight, but were bad actors. It was clear they were just hyping the fight to sell tickets. Given the way Fury whooped Wilder's butt this time though, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilder does develop a genuine hatred. His pride has to hurt now (along with the rest of him).

Wilder might try to call Fury out for a rematch, but what's he gonna do with a 270 lb 6'9 guy who can outbox and outpunch him? Doesn't seem like they're evenly matched anymore. The only chance 225lb Wilder would have is to learn to stick and move like THE Most High King in his prime. And even the Greatest couldn't move like that after about 1976.

Since he damn sure cant knock out the man, his only hope would be that Fury develops an interest in shiny things and stops taking boxing seriously and gains about 25 more pounds. Wilder's whole issue is he can't launch the big punch on Fury. Fury just has so much dodging instinct it's unreal. Closest thing I've seen to Ali dodging wise.
I believe Wilder can come back but as Fury stated, he needs to stick with his jab. He had his right hand cocked back for a while waiting to land it. I was wondering how much damage could he do with his Left?
Since this fight has happened, i'm curious what would be the next big fight? Fury could take this and ride off into the sunset.

There's no way Fury gets by Tyson, Foreman, Norton, Frazier, or even Holyfield in their prime. Fury looks good against today's competition, but he'd have gotten pummeled by any of those fighters. JMHO, FWIW. Yeah, it's still fun to speculate.

Well it's hard to say. But I figgered it this way:
1. Iron Mike probably would have trouble getting a head shot in with almost a 2 ft difference, I dont think it bothers Fury to get body shotted at 270 lbs. In some ways Fury is also a lot like Buster Douglas - long jab - decent footwork - big man.
2. Foreman (young) probably couldnt have timed Fury's fakes and body movements, especially if Fury wanted to win on points
3. Norton, with his delivery, would have probably walked right into the jabs Fury kept throwing
4. Frasier - well this one is tough. Frasier was dodging punches in Manila with one eye. Smokin Joe just a fierce competitor who just kept coming straight at his man. But we all saw what Big George did to him in 71. I'd assume he, like Iron Mike, would have problems matching up with Fury's body size.
5. Holyfield trained under the same guys, so this is tough as well. Holyfield was probably the best balanced fighter ever. Had a killer work ethic too. I just have to give it to Fury because of the size difference. Real Deal never went against a 6'9 guy, although he did go against Big Daddy Bowe who pummeled him in 92. Shortly after, Bowe probably went and pummeled a couple of buckets of fried chicken...

An oh yes. Historical boxing speculation, is very entertaining! Much respect!

I forgot about that

But it wasn’t shavers it was Chuck Wepner

A nobody, a tomato can, a down on his luck palooka who knocked down the heavyweight champion of the world

Which inspired a young Sylvester Stallone, who happened to watch the fight, to write Rocky

It’s been forever since I saw the footage, don’t recall if it was a legit knockdown or really a slip

I watch that fight once in a while it was just a slip. Ali really dominated Wepner for most of the fight, but Wepner was determined not to quit. Rocky may have been inspired by the Wepner fight, but Foreman once said that Rocky's character and training regimen was based a lot off Joe Frasier. Rocky was basically the white Joe Frasier. Slip at 2:07. Looked like Ali was trying to back away from a shot to his left ribs... Ali gets his payback at 4:35...

That said, there was another fight where a knockdown was called a "slip", but it was actually more questionable. I want to say it was against Shavers, Spinks or Ron Lyles, but I'm having a senior moment.

Last edited:
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Deontay Wilder says an elaborate outfit he wore on his ring walk wore him down so much that he didn’t have the legs to withstand Tyson Fury in their heavyweight title fight Saturday night.

Wilder also said he would execute a clause in his contract for a third fight with Fury, hopefully sometime this summer.

“This summer with no fights in between,” Wilder told The Associated Press in a phone interview Monday. “I’m a warrior and I’m ready to go again, but we’re going to change a lot of things in camp.”.........

A 70s NFL team would have little hope against a modern team. The OL/DL difference alone is too great to overcome.
Why would a 70s great boxer be expected to dominate anyone now? For all of Ali's greatness, he was usually at least both taller and heavier than most of his opponents, if a little lesser in power.

I believe Wilder can come back but as Fury stated, he needs to stick with his jab. He had his right hand cocked back for a while waiting to land it. I was wondering how much damage could he do with his Left?
Since this fight has happened, i'm curious what would be the next big fight? Fury could take this and ride off into the sunset.

He says he will let Wilder have a rematch, but I think he would like to go and unify the belt like his namesake. Depends on how many people will pay to see a Joshua-Fury match. I'm sure they want to test the market a little. In the meantime, Fury needs to stay sober, so I'm sure they'll announce something in the next month or two.

It wasn't a good fight at all. Wilder blew his ear drum out and it was over from there. He barely landed a blow afterwards. They should have called it in the 3rd or again in the 5th when he could barely stand up.

A 70s NFL team would have little hope against a modern team. The OL/DL difference alone is too great to overcome.
Why would a 70s great boxer be expected to dominate anyone now? For all of Ali's greatness, he was usually at least both taller and heavier than most of his opponents, if a little lesser in power.

Because Ali was so damn flexible in both form and strategy. If he couldn't beat you with power, he beat you with speed. If he couldn't beat you with speed or power, he'd cut your face and then it was death by 1000 cuts. Ask anybody including Mike Tyson and he'll tell you - Ali was, in fact, the greatest.

Yes but
Because Ali was so damn flexible in both form and strategy. If he couldn't beat you with power, he beat you with speed. If he couldn't beat you with speed or power, he'd cut your face and then it was death by 1000 cuts. Ask anybody including Mike Tyson and he'll tell you - Ali was, in fact, the greatest.
6'3 215 against 6'9 254
Light Heavyweight against Heavyweight?

It wasn't a good fight at all. Wilder blew his ear drum out and it was over from there. He barely landed a blow afterwards. They should have called it in the 3rd or again in the 5th when he could barely stand up.

Well both Deontay and his corner was completely unprepared. His trainer said it was just a cut on the inside of his left ear (not a busted eardrum). Shame on them for not preparing better for a dry-drunk Irishman. When a 6-9 sober Irishman says he's coming to get you, you better get ready to stick an move! I don't care how "vicious" your one-shot punch is.

Also, pack the ointment, q-tip and alcohol rubs...and a lunch.

Wouldn't say it was a "bad fight". A bad fight is where 2 guys just lean on each other the whole time. This one was exciting. Plus, these are the two best boxers the world has to offer at the moment.

Yes but

6'3 215 against 6'9 254
Light Heavyweight against Heavyweight?

Earnie Terril was only 3 inches shorter than Fury and Ali made him look like the hamburglar. Terril was a legitimate champion in his own right with a killer punch. Prime Ali had better footwork than riverdance.

Last edited:
But you neglected weight and power.

I edited it shortly after, but it wouldn't have mattered against prime Ali. His shuffle step just negated factors like weight and power. You can't hit what you can't catch. And if he dodged you and you went of balance for 2 seconds, the dude would rifle about 5 shots into the side of your face.

I edited it shortly after, but it wouldn't have mattered against prime Ali. His shuffle step just negated factors like weight and power. You can't hit what you can't catch. And if he dodged you and you went of balance for 2 seconds, the dude would rifle about 5 shots into the side of your face.
I agree to disagree how that would matter with the size difference, not rounded down to Ernie The Octopus Terrell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom