Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury (1 Viewer)

one man destroying the other man in a one sided beat down will never be a good fight. It was brutal and I was hoping the ref would call it before Wilder was seriously injured.

one man destroying the other man in a one sided beat down will never be a good fight. It was brutal and I was hoping the ref would call it before Wilder was seriously injured.

I agree but only if a slaughter is expected. Remember that Fury was considered the underdog. It's pretty cool to watch the underdog beat up the bully (Saints fan mentality speaking).

Plus, if you watch the first fight, Deontay knocked him down twice. There was every indication that these were evenly matched boxers. I'm not sure his corner should have even called it when they did. Maybe Wilder was just letting Fury punch himself out? I mean again - shame on his corner for not bringing the equipment to seal the bleeding.

I mean whose to say what would have happened if Wilder got in a couple of those heavy bombs? They always say about heavyweights one punch can turn it around.

I've never really been impressed with Deonte'. I mean he's a violent slugger that throws hay makers from time to time but he lacks the technical aspect of boxing.

He should be thankful the ref & his trainers intervened to stop it. There was hardly any fight back left & his legs were all but gone.

In my mind, Fury is 2-0 vs Wilder.

A 70s NFL team would have little hope against a modern team. The OL/DL difference alone is too great to overcome.
Why would a 70s great boxer be expected to dominate anyone now? For all of Ali's greatness, he was usually at least both taller and heavier than most of his opponents, if a little lesser in power.
Bc unlike most any other sport, boxing has atrophied- both from scandals/mismanagement and from giving up a lot of the spotlight and talent suck to MMA
The atrophying was already in place before Tyson, he was just enough of a game changer to put another 10-15 years of stasis into boxing

Bc unlike most any other sport, boxing has atrophied- both from scandals/mismanagement and from giving up a lot of the spotlight and talent suck to MMA
The atrophying was already in place before Tyson, he was just enough of a game changer to put another 10-15 years of stasis into boxing

I think it's coming back with a vengeance Guido, its just lost its interest for America because there hasn't been a "true" American champ since Holyfield - and truth be told - Holyfield was only slightly more interesting than a bucket of chum. He was the Ken Norton of the 1990s. Great athlete, but nothing about Holyfield ever "transcended the sport".

There is a also certain degree of prestige to holding a unified boxing title, and it's way above anything the MMA has to offer. The belts of this great sport go all the way back to the 1800s. To add gas to the fire Fury is looking to get 250 million for a matchup with Anthony Joshua. That money should speak for itself in taking some of the talent back from the MMA.

The best thing that could happen to boxing in America now is that an outspoken American champ rises up and threatens to shake the boxing world. Somebody in America has to want all that prestige and money. So...I'm saying something us old guys would have never said in the 70's...and its hard to do...but...the world needs another Ali! There I said it!

Last edited:
I think it's coming back with a vengeance Guido, its just lost its interest for America because there hasn't been a "true" American champ since Holyfield - and truth be told - Holyfield was only slightly more interesting than a bucket of chum. He was the Ken Norton of the 1990s. Great athlete, but nothing about Holyfield ever "transcended the sport".

There is a also certain degree of prestige to holding a unified boxing title, and it's way above anything the MMA has to offer. The belts of this great sport go all the way back to the 1800s. To add gas to the fire Fury is looking to get 250 million for a matchup with Anthony Joshua. That money should speak for itself in taking some of the talent back from the MMA.

The best thing that could happen to boxing in America now is that an outspoken American champ rises up and threatens to shake the boxing world. Somebody in America has to want all that prestige and money. So...I'm saying something us old guys would have never said in the 70's...and its hard to do...but...the world needs another Ali! There I said it!
We had Mayweather. Like him or Hate him. When he fought Americans were interested. Alot of our athletes go the football and basketball route. Even Wilder is a recycled athlete from football. Other countries really support there boxers more then we do. We idolize our ball players

We had Mayweather. Like him or Hate him. When he fought Americans were interested. Alot of our athletes go the football and basketball route. Even Wilder is a recycled athlete from football. Other countries really support there boxers more then we do. We idolize our ball players

This is true, but Mayweather only vaguely interested the American people. Some argue he was just another pick fighter who was making too much money. I would argue that Floyd just never had the character of an Ali, Joe Frazier or Tyson. He just didn't have that personality that transcended the sport and capture the public imagination.

Wilder could be interesting. Let's see him actually change his style to beat Fury. If he's fighting to get his pride back, he'll learn to stick and move. Stop being so tight in the ring. Stop relying on the homerun punch. That would be step 1. Then he'll have to go through AJ. If he beats those odds America will be forced to sit up and pay attention.

This is true, but Mayweather only vaguely interested the American people. Some argue he was just another pick fighter who was making too much money. I would argue that Floyd just never had the character of an Ali, Joe Frazier or Tyson. He just didn't have that personality that transcended the sport and capture the public imagination.

Wilder could be interesting. Let's see him actually change his style to beat Fury. If he's fighting to get his pride back, he'll learn to stick and move. Stop being so tight in the ring. Stop relying on the homerun punch. That would be step 1. Then he'll have to go through AJ. If he beats those odds America will be forced to sit up and pay attention.
He cant. Hes just a athlete boxing. Hes not a fighter. Too late to really teach. From a boxing stand point, culda been good!!! another way to look at it is a recycled athlete got this farl in the boxing Heavy Weight circuit. The $$ was always there when Mayweather fought. He evan played the heel when he felt he had to. All about image in the states

He cant. Hes just a athlete boxing. Hes not a fighter. Too late to really teach. From a boxing stand point, culda been good!!! another way to look at it is a recycled athlete got this farl in the boxing Heavy Weight circuit. The $$ was always there when Mayweather fought. He evan played the heel when he felt he had to. All about image in the states

Agreed about Deontay. He probably can't change his style. He's just a slightly more refined repeat of "Too Tall" Jones. No technique at all. But I have to disagree about Ali. I was especially angry when Mayweather went on a rant and said he was better than Ali, because: 1) He had more money and 2) cause Ali got upset by Leon Spinks (an olympic medalist) at the tail end of his greatness.

Mayweather will disappear into the trivia category sooner than later. If anything Floyd will be remembered as a tremendous businessman when boxing was weak and had no fan appeal. A man who fights the likes of Sonny Liston, Ernie Terrell, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ken Norton, Ron Lyles and Earnie Shavers will live forever in people's hearts. That man gets an image whether he wants it or not.

Despite all the publicity stunts he engaged in he can't run from history. In the end, he is the "greatest" and the "prettiest" and he would have been whether he wanted to be or not. The image he tried to create is inconsequential now. He was the gullible country dude who fought like a ballerina with a mace and got bamboozled out of his life savings by the Nation of Islam.

If Ali just let his boxing speak for itself and never engaged in the type of publicity stunts he did, people would still rank him the best heavyweight of all time. The footage is there to prove it. He made Joe Frazier weaker, he made lesser boxers retire. Mayweather would have been a $2000 set up man in the seventies and maybe even the 80s and 90s.

Back to Wilder/Fury.

Tyson Fury proved to have a better strategy and to be the more skilled in ring generalship. He was losing the first round badly, but landed a left jab toward the end of the first round and it was not insignificant. He tried it again and landed again, significantly, enough to make the round even, though I still scored it for Deontay. The second round was like the first, except that it was obvious that Wilder was not going to slip or block that jab. Once Fury knew he could land it, nearly at will, the fight was on, and over. If Wilder could have slipped that punch 2 out of 3 times, the fight would have gone differently, and probably with Wilder by knockout.

I am not sure if he will prepare a foil for the jab in the re-rematch or keep telling himself it was just the "weakened legs" that lost him the fight. Fight 3 could possibly go the other way.

Back to Wilder/Fury.

Tyson Fury proved to have a better strategy and to be the more skilled in ring generalship. He was losing the first round badly, but landed a left jab toward the end of the first round and it was not insignificant. He tried it again and landed again, significantly, enough to make the round even, though I still scored it for Deontay. The second round was like the first, except that it was obvious that Wilder was not going to slip or block that jab. Once Fury knew he could land it, nearly at will, the fight was on, and over. If Wilder could have slipped that punch 2 out of 3 times, the fight would have gone differently, and probably with Wilder by knockout.

I am not sure if he will prepare a foil for the jab in the re-rematch or keep telling himself it was just the "weakened legs" that lost him the fight. Fight 3 could possibly go the other way.

I hope that bunch of converted football trainers in Deonatay's corner realize that if he trains weak next time; Fury will most likely blind his left side. It's a hard move, but Wilder has got to move on to some real boxing trainers. And he has to WANT to change. He should since he's been beaten up pretty bad from time to time.

George Foreman offered to work with Wilder for 2-4 weeks yesterday on twitter. Although, I'm not sure he would be the best person, maybe Big George can hook him up with some real trainers. He has to learn boxing is not like running down a quarterback.

The question is how do you stop a Tyson Fury jab - or double jab. There are 4 ways I have seen that might work for Deontay:

One is to read it, time it and jab at the same time (Ken Norton vs Ali). It disrupts the jab and deflects damage.

Alternately, if you can time it and bob and weave under it (ala Joe Frazier) you can get inside. But would that work for Wilder? His height would make it difficult to use this style. Plus hes not an infighter.

Third you can be a natural like prime Ali and just lean back from it as it comes. Much like a batter reacts to a 98mph fastball.

Finally you can shell up and walk right through it like Tyson did with opponents before Buster Douglas.

Deontay seems more prone to do it the Tyson way. Perhaps that is not the best approach when an opponent has a devastating jab and footwork like Fury. Also, who would retrain Wilder to do anything else at this point? Especially if he's already demanding a rematch for July. Most of the great trainers are dead.

In some ways, Wilder would be best advised to put his pride aside and wait to see how a Joshua-Fury bout would play out. Fury and his wife are already talking retirement. IMHO AJ would make a better match up for Wilder because Joshua is more prone to square off with him at long range. Like he did with Ruiz. If Fury wins or loses, it gives him more time to train.

As for Fury, let me again emphasize how good a boxer he is: he's good. He has the remarkable ability to be able to throw devastating punches without setting his feet. He can dodge in-flight punches. But he bleeds like Jerry Quarry. If I'm Wilder I'm going to:
1. Fire all my trainers and get a real staff
2. Wait for a Fury-Joshua bout
3. Hope that Joshua cuts Fury open and wins by TKO
4. Take a couple of low ranked bouts
5. Challenge Joshua for all the belts at once

Its either that or hope that Fury falls off the wagon again. Even if Fury does, he's still a nightmare match up for Deontay.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom