Depth chart projection (1 Viewer)

Le_Moyne

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Since it's the bye and teams often reevaluate their starters during it, I thought it could be interesting to discuss some of the battle that are still taking place at a few positions. I'm not trying to criticize anyone since most of our starters have played well but I thought it's an interesting discussion. The two that come to me are nose tackle and #2CB.

NT: I really like Clancy and he's very strong at the POA but Ayodele have played very well too and appears to bring more to the table. I don't think the drop off on inside runs is very big but Remi is also able to get outside and cover outside runs or recover fumble like he did yesterday. Do you guys think he keeps the job when he comes back? I do, I think if 2 guys have similar production you go with the youngest/cheapest option.

#@ CB: I really like Porter and he's a good cover corner but the same way I see Ayodele taking over at NT, I think Jenkins could take Porter's starting spot (but I know it won't happen this week). If he can be as good as Porter in coverage, MJ will bring more in run defense and overall playmaking ability. I wouldn't mind if Porter start the entire season but the upside with MJ could be huge.

what other position could be reevaluated this week?

TenTwo

Are you touched in the head or something?
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think our place kicker spot might be up for grabs, just to add range. It will be interesting to see if they cut a kicker. I can't imagine them keeping two.

OP

Le_Moyne

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think our place kicker spot might be up for grabs, just to add range. It will be interesting to see if they cut a kicker. I can't imagine them keeping two.
I don't know what to think about that....I understand Payton wants to play it safe on long FG with Carney but Carney was making 45-50 yards FG last year! I understand if you don't want to do it in high scoring games when your offesne is moving the ball well and your D is struggling but in a game like yesterday he should have kicked one of those....or at least try Moorstead. I was really in favor of keeping Carney over Hartley but if he can make a 45 yards FG I may have to change my mind.

OP

Le_Moyne

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't think Porter is in any danger of losing his position to a rookie. Next year - maybe.
I'm not so sure, Porter is good but a player like Jenkins makes too much sense in Williams style of defense

Colin311

I want 5 of your years!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jenkins is nowhere near being the CB that Porter is. Why would Jenkins jump from dimeback to a starter?

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Teams dont evaulate there starters during the bye, they rest and get healthy...people were sleeping on Ayodele, I dont know why, because when he was in there last year he did his job, I dont know how a DT is supposed to stick out, specifically a nose tackle, but he and Clancy are solid at there positions and I dont see Porter losing his job to Jenkins, I think he will continue to be the dime back and special teams guy and he may over take Gay (again) but we are good with Greer and Porter they are solid cover guys with good speed, both guys have 4.3 speed.

Six Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Teams dont evaulate there starters during the bye, they rest and get healthy...people were sleeping on Ayodele, I dont know why, because when he was in there last year he did his job, I dont know how a DT is supposed to stick out, specifically a nose tackle, but he and Clancy are solid at there positions and I dont see Porter losing his job to Jenkins, I think he will continue to be the dime back and special teams guy and he may over take Gay (again) but we are good with Greer and Porter they are solid cover guys with good speed, both guys have 4.3 speed.

Now after the bye week and Bushrod is healty, does he go back to starting at LT or does Strief stay in Zach looked pretty solid the end of last week and again this week, although he got some help from the TE's and Evans, but then again so did Bushrod.

Mackenzie

Black and Gold Forever
Reaction score
I'm not so sure, Porter is good but a player like Jenkins makes too much sense in Williams style of defense

While Jenkins has been a star on ST, that doesn't mean he'll do the same thing as a CB right now. He might in the near future, but for now you stick with Porter who looks solid and let Jenkins continue to learn in nickel and dime situations and let him continue his quest to becoming the best ST ace in our history.

OP

Le_Moyne

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Jenkins is nowhere near being the CB that Porter is. Why would Jenkins jump from dimeback to a starter?
It's more compicated than this to me. CB is like WR, you're ranked on different abilities and the match up plays a big role in what you do. Meachem is not a better receiver than Colston but he's on the field in 1WR set because in these situation, he's better for the team.
Greer is the unquestionned #1 CB but after that I think it's not as clear as saying porter is 2, Gay is 3 and Jenkins is 4. From what I've seen, I'm convinced Jenkins is already a better player in the run game and his physicality makes him a better playmaker. The key is how they compare in coverage. If Porter is miles ahead then I'll keep his job but if the drop off isn't too big I could see Jenkins playing #2 in run situation and moving inside where we could use him on blitz, dump off passes, forces fumble....
Jenkins doesn't have to be a better cover corner to take this job

OP

Le_Moyne

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
While Jenkins has been a star on ST, that doesn't mean he'll do the same thing as a CB right now. He might in the near future, but for now you stick with Porter who looks solid and let Jenkins continue to learn in nickel and dime situations and let him continue his quest to becoming the best ST ace in our history.
Like I've said in my first post I don't think it's going to happen now but I think it's clear that as long as Jenkins can do a good job in coverage he brings more to the table in all the other aspect.

CantonLegend

Best Looking
Reaction score
recovering a fumble is more about being in the right place at the right time than being a talented player.....im impressed with ayodele but i would much rather see clancy or hargrove out there

not a knock on ayodele, he has played well....but clancy is just better

Brad01

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Jenkins doesn't have to be a better cover corner to take this job

Yes. He does.

Deion Sanders may be the most finesse starter in the history of the league and certainly the worst tackler. He's going to be a first ballet hall of famer.

OP

Le_Moyne

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
recovering a fumble is more about being in the right place at the right time than being a talented player.....im impressed with ayodele but i would much rather see clancy or hargrove out there

not a knock on ayodele, he has played well....but clancy is just better
The fumble is one example but I also remember him making a couple tackles on outside runs....don't know if Clancy can do that consistently. But like I said, I like both player and I just wanted to start a discussion that was a bit more interesting than "we're the best team in history, who dat!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom