Depth chart with a needs break down at each position (1 Viewer)

If you ever met Morestead, you'd see that he takes very good care of himself. Not just "good for a punter", good for a LB...
Watch some of his workout vids. Punters can have very very long careers. Morestead might be kicking footballs at 50+.

I still think we draft a WR in the first 4 rounds. Jefferson has to have some appeal given that there might be a lot less practice time before the season and he played in a very similar offense. If we are truly going BPA a WR will no doubt be BPA at some point with how deep that position is. Michael Thomas went in the mid second round in a much worse receiver class. There is no position that will surprise me at this point in the first. I could even see RB if they anticipate not wanting to give Kamara a big trade after thus year. As for WR we will have 3 WR on the field quite often. We could add a matchup nightmare who will likely be facing the worst DB the other team has.

The only problem I have with Patrick Queen is that he will have to play WILL linebacker. He doesn’t have the size to play either MIKE or SAM. If we were to draft Queen than we would have to move Davis to MIKE IMO. I think Davis could possibly be even better playing the most important LB spot at MIKE though. Maybe Queen could play as an undersized MIKE, but that is why I have Murray ahead of him for our need at the position. That and I think Murray’s a better player at this point. Not much of a difference, but Queen is 6’1” 230 and Murray is 6’2” 240.

I’m just not sure if either will even make it to 24. I hope the Raiders and Patriots pass on them as they are the teams with those mocked to the most. Hopefully the Raiders don’t take one since they added both Littleton & Kwiatkoski in free agency. The Raiders ought to take Jeudy, Lamb, or Ruggs at 12 and then turnaround and take Jefferson or Higgins at 19. They need receivers and could get two really good ones in the first. I would take Jeudy than a big guy like Higgins. Hopefully the Patriots take Jake Fromm, Jacob Eason, or Jordan Love at 23 since QB is their biggest need IMO. The Patriots could also use a receiver, but I think a lot of them will drop due to the fact the position is so deep that teams will think they can get a good one later on.

If we could trade back and get Zach Baun then a receiver like Jalen Reagor or Laviska Shenault Jr would be ideal. That would be sick.

And Mario Edwards Jr has always been seen as a DE that can play DT. PFF, ESPN, 247 sports, NFL.com, and other sites have him listed as a DE. Even the New Orleans Saints website has him listed as DE. I think he’s more of strong side DE that also plays 3 tech. He’s only like 280 pounds. His best fit would be a 3-4 DE IMO.

This is right as of now.
1) LB
2) CB
3) WR
4) edge
5) OL
Which would you be most concerned about and how would you rank them according to the amount of concern?

Injury to a starting LB (Davis, Anzalone)

Injury to a starting CB (Lattimore, Jackrabbit)

Injury to a starting WR (Thomas, Sanders)

Injury to a starting DE (Jordan, Davenport)

Which would you be most concerned about and how would you rank them according to the amount of concern?

Purely by that standard, I would move CB to first place. A defense is only as good as its #2 CB.

And OL to second place. After QB, an offense is most limited by its weakest OL.

A team can pretty much get by with mediocre LBs and WRs if the other positions compensate.

Starting positions are set across the board for the most part. LB is need #1 in my eyes. Mainly because, as mentioned, 2 of our guys have horrible injury issues and we’re down a dependable one in Klein. I would be surprised if either Anzalone or Alonso made it the full season, but I do hope I’m wrong. Next needs are corner and WR depth. I think those are our main 3 needs.

The only problem I have with Patrick Queen is that he will have to play WILL linebacker. He doesn’t have the size to play either MIKE or SAM.
I disagree.

Queen is 6'1, 227?

This is a top 2 Middle Linebacker in Football currently. He's 6'2, 230 lbs.

Baldinger even says word for word as he's breaking the tape down: "Maybe this is the advantage of being 220.. speed is so important"

Speed, instincts, playing with your hands... that's what makes a great Linebacker in today's game. Watch how Leonard reads the formation, beats the pulling Linemen to the ball, and plays off his hands when he has to meet contact.

Queen has the instincts, and the speed. Plus he's 20 years old... you're telling me he can't put on 5-10 lbs of muscle in an off-season or two of NFL strength and conditioning? I think his ideal position is WILL at the next level, but he can play Mike if you need him to he has the instincts for the position from what I've seen on tape.

If you are going by injuries it would have to be corner IMO. Patrick Robinson would have to line up in the outside and that gives me nightmares. Don’t think we would even put CGJ our there unless we absolutely had to.

I’m hoping they really like what they saw from Kaden Elliss. When we drafted him, I thought he was gonna be the eventual replacement for Klein. I would want him to get a year of backup play though before being a starter. Hopefully Anzalone can give us some games before Kiko comes back. I almost want to list them as one combined player ?. I’m just hoping Anzalone can possibly play SAM cause I don’t see Murray or Queen playing that spot. He’s 6’3” 240, so he has some size to him

We’ve already shown that we can get by with just about any receivers out there and find good ones off the street. It’s not ideal but I think we could be alright with either Thomas or Sanders getting hurt. We would likely bring back Ginn unless a team signs him. I think Harris is gonna take a big step on offense this year. He’s had the last big play from that position for us lol. I haven’t totally given up on Tre’Quan, but he’s always hurt like them LBs. I like Lil’Jordan and Butler as well. Plus we likely to add some a decent UDFA or 2 since the position is so deep this year.

I think TRex, Granderson, Edwards, Spence, and even Loewen give us some nice depth at that position. We even had Rankins play there before.

I disagree.

Queen is 6'1, 227?

This is a top 2 Middle Linebacker in Football currently. He's 6'2, 230 lbs.

Baldinger even says word for word as he's breaking the tape down: "Maybe this is the advantage of being 220.. speed is so important"

Speed, instincts, playing with your hands... that's what makes a great Linebacker in today's game. Watch how Leonard reads the formation, beats the pulling Linemen to the ball, and plays off his hands when he has to meet contact.

Queen has the instincts, and the speed. Plus he's 20 years old... you're telling me he can't put on 5-10 lbs of muscle in an off-season or two of NFL strength and conditioning? I think his ideal position is WILL at the next level, but he can play Mike if you need him to he has the instincts for the position from what I've seen on tape.

I don’t think he’s an ideal MIKE for sure. And I for sure wouldn’t want him playing it over Davis. I think Queen is more of a WILL and would be ideal there with Davis at MIKE. Davis is 31. I much rather have the younger of the two playing WILL since I think they both could play it effectively

Last edited:
I don’t think he’s an ideal MIKE for sure. And I for sure wouldn’t want him playing it over Davis. I think Queen is more of a WILL and would be ideal there with Davis at MIKE.
So in your mind Darius Leonard is not an ideal MIKE either? If you're just basing off ideal body proto-types.. which IMO is becoming an outdated way to prioritize Linebackers in today's game.

I really like the defensive front. Provided everybody is healthy, that is a multiple-front DC's wet dream.

Anzalone's health record makes another linebacker pretty important.

Drew's age and Taysom's style makes a QB3 pretty important.

Offensive line health history make another body you can plug into multiple positions pretty important.

Outside of that, the roster will be determined by special teams.

Deonte Harris will fill Ted Ginn's role. With the addition of Sanders, the WRs are seriously upgraded. Yes it's not clear who is going to take the slot or allow Sanders to move into the slot, but the Saints have been effective without it for a while now so you better play special teams.

The first 6 DBs are set. The rest earn their way on special teams.

RB? Got room. But you're going to see the field on special teams.

Well done. Nice breakdown.

Only critiques I would make off the top of my head:
- Noah Spence is most likely ahead of Granderson at DE
- I think the front office is higher on M.Willams than people realize.

Must: N/A

Need: WR, EDGE, LB, CB

Want: RB, TE, OL, S
LB is a must in the draft to the point that we will end up drafting a LB in the first round even if they aren't the highest rated player. That's not the position you'd like to be in, but that's exactly where we are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom