Derek Barnett is a Dream Pick for NO (1 Viewer)

Still overthinking it.

The talent is obvious. And there's plenty of articles and such that give you a good look at his character. And coaches talking about his work ethic.

Myles Garrett is going to be a problem in the NFL for years to come. If the Saints wound up with him somehow, that would make the draft unbelievably successful. Even if that means trading up.

Only one player in SEC history has recorded three straight seasons of ten or more sacks. And he just tied Reggie White's school record for sacks. I'd love to see Barnett in black and gold.

Barnett is a fantastic and realistic choice. DE is loaded with quality talent this year, though. I have no issues with pairing him with Rankins, Jordan and a young DT like the big kid at Washington.

Still overthinking it.

The talent is obvious. And there's plenty of articles and such that give you a good look at his character. And coaches talking about his work ethic.

Myles Garrett is going to be a problem in the NFL for years to come. If the Saints wound up with him somehow, that would make the draft unbelievably successful. Even if that means trading up.

I'm not overthinking it. I'm simply stating what I saw and what the stats back up. Never said he was gonna be a bust or anything like that. I'm simply stating that he put up bigger numbers vs non-SEC schools and put up very pedestrian numbers vs SEC offensive lines.

Let's take a look.
This is his sack totals vs non-SEC and SEC schools.

2014: he played in 12 games total his freshmen year.
Non-SEC: 8.5 sacks
SEC: 3 sacks

2015: he played in 13 games total his sophomore year.
Non-SEC: 6.5 sacks
SEC: 6 sacks

2016: he's played in 9 games total, with a bowl game still ahead.
Non-SEC: 5.5 sacks

2015 was pretty even, but the others aren't. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have him on this team because I would do cartwheels if he fell to our pick. He has alot of talent and upside. I just wanted to point out that Garrett didn't produce huge sack totals vs the tougher opponents. Alot of people think he's the most talented player in this draft, but I think he's third, behind Fournette and Allen. Those two dominated basically everyone and don't have huge holes in their game, like Garrett. It's just my opinion and I'm sure many would disagree.

Anyways, there's a 0% chance he's a Saint next year, unless we trade up, so none of this really matters. Barnett is a realistic target and I'd love to get him.

If we are selling out for one final run with Drew, depending on bonfires agency goes, this may the year to put together a package to make a big leap in the draft for a Barnett or Garrett.

Our biggest need right now is a big time pass rusher. We do that and re-sign Fairley, all of a sudden the Saints have potentially the best defensive line in football.

If we are selling out for one final run with Drew, depending on bonfires agency goes, this may the year to put together a package to make a big leap in the draft for a Barnett or Garrett.

Our biggest need right now is a big time pass rusher. We do that and re-sign Fairley, all of a sudden the Saints have potentially the best defensive line in football.

I agree,but I really don't like trading up and losing picks in the process. The mocks are all over the place right now. They'll become more realistic
once FA's are signed. I've seen some having Barnett go as high as 4 to the Bears. Historically, pass rushers start coming off the board early.

I watched a lot of Garrett games this year and he was consistently double team but he was effective cause he completely open the other side. Garrett won't see those double teams early on and if he does we have a beast on the other side. Myles Garrett will light up this league mark my words.

I'm not overthinking it. I'm simply stating what I saw and what the stats back up. Never said he was gonna be a bust or anything like that. I'm simply stating that he put up bigger numbers vs non-SEC schools and put up very pedestrian numbers vs SEC offensive lines.

Let's take a look.

2015 was pretty even, but the others aren't. I'm not saying I wouldn't love to have him on this team because I would do cartwheels if he fell to our pick. He has alot of talent and upside. I just wanted to point out that Garrett didn't produce huge sack totals vs the tougher opponents. Alot of people think he's the most talented player in this draft, but I think he's third, behind Fournette and Allen. Those two dominated basically everyone and don't have huge holes in their game, like Garrett. It's just my opinion and I'm sure many would disagree.

Anyways, there's a 0% chance he's a Saint next year, unless we trade up, so none of this really matters. Barnett is a realistic target and I'd love to get him.

Everything you said? Not one solitary problem with it.

What I mean when I say overthinking it is specific numbers, SEC vs non-SEC is interesting to argue with even break a tie if you're making your mind up. But when a team drafts an NFL player, it doesn't matter how good he was in college. He MUST get even better as football players to succeed.

And just because a player doesn't live up to specific expectations every single game or the majority of them in college, or any of them, doesn't really measure up to the NFL. It's why the stupid argument of whether the Browns could beat Alabama is...well, stupid. Especially when there's other factors in play like coaching, specific defensive assignments, or injuries and more.

Hell, Danielle Hunter never got a lot of sacks at LSU, also under John Chavis's "illustrious" defensive coordination, second season in the NFL he's got 10.

Sometimes it can be as simple as "He's a freak. He's got great size. He works hard. He's not even 21 yet."

I like simple.

All this back and forth about Barnett vs Garrett. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They don't do the same things. And it's not just about stats and production - it's also about fitting into a role with the existing players.

Barnett is the type of player that's holds the edge on running plays - he's smart and he's stout. Note most of his sacks and TFL production came when he went against the guards on the inside, either by lining up at 3-tech or stunting to the inside.

Garrett is good against the run as well, but he's pure edge. He's just fast as hell, and he stays on the edge.

Very different players.

Let's take a look.

I've been waiting on someone to post this. To add to this, 90% of Barnett's sacks have come against SEC play.

Who is this?

redshirted in his first year, and recorded 3.5 quarterback sacks, 24 tackles, including seven tackles for loss, two forced fumbles, one interception and one blocked kick as a redshirt freshman.

In his sophomore year, he intercepted a tipped pass in a game, which secured a victory.

In 2012, he registered  3 1⁄2 sacks while starting in nine of the team's games.

As a senior in 2013, he recorded 11.5 quarterback sacks and 19 tackles for a loss. He led the SEC in both categories, and tied the school single-season record for sacks. He was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Week in two consecutive weeks.

After the season, he was named the SEC Co-Defensive Player of the Year, with C. J. Mosley, and a first-team all-SEC selection. He was named a first-team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation, Associated Press, Sporting News, the American Football Coaches Association, and the Football Writers Association of America. He was also named a semifinalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award, the Hendricks Award, and the Lombardi Award. In the 2014 Cotton Bowl Classic, he forced a fumble that was returned for a touchdown, securing the victory.

During his college career, he accumulated 123 tackles, including 36 for loss, 21 sacks, six forced fumbles and two intercepted passes

Hint. He's a pass rusher. And he's not in football anymore.

Stats (even stats in the SEC) aren't everything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom