Derius Swinton for ST Coordinator? (1 Viewer)

nosaints213

ad majorem dei gloriam
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interview will happen soon. <a href="https://t.co/Pk74pKj8xD">https://t.co/Pk74pKj8xD</a></p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/821082221901729795">January 16, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I guess with more team out of the playoffs, more assistants will start to get interviewed in the coming days

I just hope he didn't catch too much of Chip Kelly's stink.

Looking solely at statistics, his STs didn't perform well at all...I know the players make the plays, but you can analyze the numbers and his squad was either at the McMahon level or worse...

Under Swinton's guidance, the 49ers ranked fifth in average kickoff return yardage (19.8) and 23rd against punts. The 31-year-old previous served as an assistant special teams coach with the Rams (2009-2011), Chiefs (2012), Broncos (2013-14) and Bears (2015).

New Orleans had issues on special teams last year, which led to the team bringing in Kevin O'Dea to assist the existing coaching staff. But special teams coordinator Greg McMahon and assistant special teams coach Stan Kwan were let go after the season.

The silver lining, however, is that rookie kicker Wil Lutz gained more consistency and finished the season strong after O'Dea, who specializes in working with kickers, joined the staff.

It's not yet clear if the Saints are looking to retain O'Dea or how the structure of the coaching staff would set up if a new coach is hired.

Sources: Saints have interest in special teams coach Derius Swinton | Saints | theadvocate.com

I always liked the idea of having a special teams coach and another coach only for the kicker. I would love to see the saints signing a new ST coach and keeping O'dea as a kickers coach.

Looking solely at statistics, his STs didn't perform well at all...I know the players make the plays, but you can analyze the numbers and his squad was either at the McMahon level or worse...

Footballoutsiders has SF at #17, we were at #27 in their metrics..if that helps any.
FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2016 SPECIAL TEAMS RATINGS

I just hope he didn't catch too much of Chip Kelly's stink.

IDK. Kelly's 2 biggest problems are in roster management and "clubhouse" leadership/management. Kelly has got some pretty good ideas, which I wouldn't mind seeing catching on.

I always liked the idea of having a special teams coach and another coach only for the kicker. I would love to see the saints signing a new ST coach and keeping O'dea as a kickers coach.

I agree--2 different aspects of ST's..and far different skill sets. The two need to work together, but I think we need someone who understands blocking/protection schemes and someone (o'day) to help the kicker, holder, and snapper.

Kansas City was eliminated yesterday, I will ask permission to interview Brock Olivo, currently the assistant of Dave Toub. He and O'Dea will do wonders for our special teams.

Seeing that Swinton has worked under Fox, I wonder if he gave Payton a recommendation to interview him.

Hopefully we keep O'Dea in some capacity though. Lutz improved tremendously once he came on-board.

This is the guy I wanted them to target as O'Dea's assistant. I'm hopeful that it works out, and that structure serves to provide that unit a needed boost.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom