Desktop and icons (1 Viewer)

RiverCitySaint

Nerf herder
Reaction score
Hey,
Is it true that the more desktop icons you have the slower your machine will run ? Also would removing the icons cause a problem with the original file .exe path ?

Hey,
Is it true that the more desktop icons you have the slower your machine will run ? Also would removing the icons cause a problem with the original file .exe path ?

Ultimately it's probably true, but with today's hardware, the impact should be negligible. Removing a shortcut to an .exe won't affect the program, however the shortcut may pass arguments to the .exe that could make it function differently than clicking the .exe itself (like the path to an ini or log file, or other arguments).

Ultimately it's probably true, but with today's hardware, the impact should be negligible. Removing a shortcut to an .exe won't affect the program, however the shortcut may pass arguments to the .exe that could make it function differently than clicking the .exe itself (like the path to an ini or log file, or other arguments).

note that it has to be a shortcut for it not to hurt.. many people install things to the desktop..... not a good idea.. but it happens.. and in that case would be the exe.

like said mostly is negligible if and would have to have a really full of icons for it to be noticeble on relative low end machines of todays standards.

Ive heard it said there can be a marked slowdown to a pc when you start saving everything to the desktop, icons, not so much, but files, folders, programs, and the like.

not so much your desktop but overall profile size - which includes my docs, favs some outlook files (if you use outlook) and other profile related info - as your profile becomes larger it becomes more cumbersome, and over time if you install allot of free\shareware downloaded apps etc it can have all kinds of stuff trying to launch and sometimes failing if you have removed the program using their uninstaller, some programmers dont put any effort in uninstallers and just delete the parts of the app that you see (icons, directories etc) and leave alot of thrash. - and if your profile becomes corrupted you could loose some data.

i rarely if ever store data in "My docs" or any other location under my profile, i create separate directories on the root - i config my email app to store the email storage file in a separate directory on the root i.e. (*.pst for outlook)

same for music and other files - should i vere want to delete and recreate my profile i never have to move data, just point the email app back to the storage file.

I configure all my programs... all of them to run on start up. I then minimize all of them into the task bar, so when I want to look at something on a particular program. It's already running and doesn't have to load.
:D

I configure all my programs... all of them to run on start up. I then minimize all of them into the task bar, so when I want to look at something on a particular program. It's already running and doesn't have to load.
:D

Must have a crappy boot time

I have a very good desktop and I wouldn't do that :covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom