desktop computer (1 Viewer)

Dolemite

Dome Patroler 4 Life
Reaction score
I want to buy a new desktop computer and would like to stay under $800 for the entire set up of monitor, tower, keyboard, and mouse. I dont do any gaming or movies so I dont need much. What should I buy and why?

You should be able to set yourself up nicely for $800. I would look for full systems on newegg or tigerdirect. The more you spend, the better system you will get, and the longer it will last (upgrade-wise). You will probably want to select your monitor separately.

I personally prefer intel-based systems, but you will probably get a better deal if you go with AMD.

Buzd, which exact system would you get for that amount, and why do you recommend getting the monitor separate?

Offhand, and take into account that I only looked at newegg for a few minutes, I would consider this one: Newegg.com - ASUS Essentio CM6730-06 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 2320(3.00GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics 2000 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

If you're not gaming, you really don't need to invest in the expense of a high end video card. This system has 6gigs of RAM and a TB of HD space. I've generally been pleased with Asus as a brand (especially motherboards) and this has an i5 processor, which I think is the most economical in the Intel line and has some good power.

I recommend getting a monitor separately, because you will get a lot more flexibility in both your monitor choice and the system you choose (and you can get a bigger one! (twss)). Packaging a monitor into the system you buy will limit your choices on both sides, and individual monitors are relatively inexpensive these days.

Buzd, your the man! Thanks for the help. Think im gonna get the computer you showed me. Just looking for a cheaper monitor now.

Asus makes a nice monitor for the money and their support is good

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I picked up a 24" Asus monitor that supports HDMI and 1080 for like $189 from best buy a couple months ago.

The way I've been buying computers the last decade is to buy the computer with the best chip for the money. Ignore Ram and HD. Then when I get the cpu upgrade the ram to the max, upgrade the HD and upgrade the video card. Then sell the factory pulls on ebay and I end up with a better computer for less money. Just be sure the motherboard and operating system works with the maximum ram space.

If you go with a out the box computer the first thing I'd suggest is pay someone that knows a few things about computers to take all the bloatware off, download a good free antivirus and malware programs as well as a software that optimizes your PC like Advanced System Care. Also go in and stop programs that are rarely used from running all the time and removing programs that aren't essential from start up. Getting rid of the crap and getting the computer running at peak performance does more good than throwing money at a higher end PC.

If you go with a out the box computer the first thing I'd suggest is pay someone that knows a few things about computers to take all the bloatware off, download a good free antivirus and malware programs as well as a software that optimizes your PC like Advanced System Care. Also go in and stop programs that are rarely used from running all the time and removing programs that aren't essential from start up. Getting rid of the crap and getting the computer running at peak performance does more good than throwing money at a higher end PC.

I'm with you except for the Advanced System Care stuff. All those programs usually do is put a layer/UI over the system tools that are already there. There are plenty of tools to do all that that are built into the system, but I've found that current OSes really need very little of that sort of upkeep.

I'm with you except for the Advanced System Care stuff. All those programs usually do is put a layer/UI over the system tools that are already there. There are plenty of tools to do all that that are built into the system, but I've found that current OSes really need very little of that sort of upkeep.

Most of the programs like that, yeah. Try advanced system care and get back to me. Great, easy to use, fast program that isn't a system hog. Plus it has everything in one place. Also have grown fond of the uninstaller that comes with it. Some of the best inventions were those that simply improved an existing product.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom