Desmond Trufant #15 Legacy Pick (1 Viewer)

Is Trufant really BPA or are you just picking a CB because that possibly speaks to Ryan's draft tendencies? I'm guessing the latter. I hope we don't go that route.

The pick should be based off player eval. GW was said to be able to manufacture a rush also and we see how that worked. You can't just blitz and call it pressure, we'll get eaten alive. Especially by that ugly QB in Atlanta. As much as I dislike him, he really good at that.

Im banking tht we can compliment guys like Martez/junior with a FA passrusher or two so we dont have to go tht route in the draft. If its true tht we inquired about revis then the higher ups feel we need a CB too.

I knoe JJwatt is beastly but the majority of Houstons sacks came from the linemen....not the OLB's. Kinda evenly distributed. Mercilus had 6 i think, barwin 2 and im not sure how many brooks reed had.

Case n point a dominant OLB is good to have but isnt a necessity in the 1 gap.

And that's part of the reason the Texans got torched on defense later in the season and also a reason why they didn't go further in the playoffs - not much pass rush outside of Watt.

And that's part of the reason the Texans got torched on defense later in the season and also a reason why they didn't go further in the playoffs - not much pass rush outside of Watt.

Ur taking wht i said to mold it into wht u want.

I dont care hos far they made it in the playoffs...in fact all of the playoff teams tht "good" defenses got ripped to shreds in thd playoffs.

Alls im sayin is because we r 1 gapping the pressure doesnt just come from the OLBs.

Cowboys had Ware n Spencer....two Olbs made tht defense really really scary /sarcasm.

I know I'm getting old because I remember wanting his brother (Marcus) when he came out. I haven't given up on p rob yet, and I think a someone who puts up sacks is more pressing in this switch. I love to be able to grab ndami, but we'll see.

Ur taking wht i said to mold it into wht u want.

I dont care hos far they made it in the playoffs...in fact all of the playoff teams tht "good" defenses got ripped to shreds in thd playoffs.

Alls im sayin is because we r 1 gapping the pressure doesnt just come from the OLBs.

Cowboys had Ware n Spencer....two Olbs made tht defense really really scary /sarcasm.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point - just don't think the Texans were a great example to illustrate the point (because as good as the DLine play was, Barwin and Reed were awful and it hurt them).

Did someone say legacy pick?

Attachments

• Flounder.png
    Flounder.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 90
I don't necessarily disagree with your point - just don't think the Texans were a great example to illustrate the point (because as good as the DLine play was, Barwin and Reed were awful and it hurt them).

I see ur point..however having Ware/Spencer didnt help dallas either....even when they were healthy the year B4.

Getting a top rated college rusher will only do so much...especislly if u dont know how they will pan out. Only two guys id take r Dion Jordan or Jarvis Jones.....maybe Ansah

Im banking tht we can compliment guys like Martez/junior with a FA passrusher or two so we dont have to go tht route in the draft. If its true tht we inquired about revis then the higher ups feel we need a CB too.
For one, if you are taking Incarcerated Bob, serious then that's a mistake. I follow the guy on twitter and he's entertaining but he's a joke. All of this Revis talk comes from him and anyone taking it serious time is best served elsewhere. Using anything that guy says as a factor in our draft discussion is counterproductive at best.

As for Martez and Junior Galette, people seem to think these guys will all of a sudden become All-Pros under a 3-4, and that's simple not going to happen. They were mostly used as nickel players last year so they were put in position to take advantage of their pass rushing skills in those situations - we still sucked at it. Galette had a decent year and Tez did to, but it isn't going to scare anyone; decent won't get the job done. No rookie corner is going to come in and lock down a receiver if no pressure is there, its simple as that.

Also, you can find corners out of the first round like you can find pass rushers. Browner (free agent), Sherman (fifth round), Hayward (late second), Jennings (late second), Verner (fourth round), Finnegan (seventh round), McCourty (sixth round), Tramon Williams and Greer were both free agents also. If we have good guys up front, then we can get away with above average cornerbacks, look at the two teams in the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl winner from last year. Good pass rushers are easier to find that lockdown corners and it's a better way to build your defense.

To think that Ryan is going to come in and blitz and create a ton of pressure is a misconception, and readers on this forum are being sold that dream - someone has to win a one-on-one battle.

For one, if you are taking Incarcerated Bob, serious then that's a mistake. I follow the guy on twitter and he's entertaining but he's a joke. All of this Revis talk comes from him and anyone taking it serious time is best served elsewhere. Using anything that guy says as a factor in our draft discussion is counterproductive at best.

As for Martez and Junior Galette, people seem to think these guys will all of a sudden become All-Pros under a 3-4, and that's simple not going to happen. They were mostly used as nickel players last year so they were put in position to take advantage of their pass rushing skills in those situations - we still sucked at it. Galette had a decent year and Tez did to, but it isn't going to scare anyone; decent won't get the job done. No rookie corner is going to come in and lock down a receiver if no pressure is there, its simple asthat.

Also, you can find corners out of the first round like you can find pass rushers. Browner (free agent), Sherman (fifth round), Hayward (late second), Jennings (late second), Verner (fourth round), Finnegan (seventh round), McCourty (sixth round), Tramon Williams and Greer were both free agents also. If we have good guys up front, then we can get away with above average cornerbacks, look at the two teams in the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl winner from last year. Good pass rushers are easier to find that lockdown corners and it's a better way to build your defense.

To think that Ryan is going to come in and blitz and create a ton of pressure is a misconception, and readers on this forum are being sold that dream - someone has to win a one-on-one battle.

Im not advocating he blitz a lot when i say manufacture pressure.
I have more confidence in guys tht have shown they can get to the passer n the NFL thn guys tht are fresh out of college

Every OLB in this draff has questions.

Jarvis n his neck
Ansah and his rawness
Dion Jordan if he makes it to our pick
Jamie collins and his motor
Mingo and his production

I get we need a passrusher because we dont know wht we have n galette and tez but we know more about how they project thn the current crop off passrushers.

Id rather grab a few guys n FA who can do wht we are hoping these prospects can.

No one is saying u cant find good cbs n later rounds...just echoing SPs sentiments tht the majority of ur good corners are drafted earlier thn later.

To put tht in perspective im willing to bet its easier to find a passrusher in the 3-7 thn it is to finda quality corner n those same rounds.

Mainly this thread is about me preferring a corner to a olb first...and i have my reasons

I think we should try to temper what the Saints will do on draft day based on: 1. their past strategy to acquire players and 2. including Ryan's input.
I believe, and we will find out prior to the draft, that the Saints will fill as many holes as possible to prepare for the draft. So I guess they'll bring in at least two OLB that fit the scheme. And maybe, they'll make a run at Asomugha or another corner that Ryan feels comfortable with.
Draft day will be a matter of best player available /best fit possible. And as some have suggested, it seems that the draft is fairly even on talent available throughout the first 50 picks, so you can't disregard teams "reaching" this year for players that are not where they are supposed to be. I personally can't remember a draft that has had such variation of picks (like saying that Miliner will go n°1, or n°10 for example).

The entire topic on drafting Trufant adresses a very important position on our team (and quite frankly, all around the NFL)-- the nickel/slot CB. It is vital to have a good slot CB or else teams will exploit the middle of the field all day on you. We saw Corey White get beat time after time from the slot. We currently have nobody on our roster that can play the slot CB spot. At times, it is the most demanding from all corner spots.

Trufant will come in from day 1 and start in the slot for us and compete at a high level. This will help our defense a great amount.

On another note, I would love to get Dion Jordan in the 1st and then Mathieu in the 3rd. That would be the best of both worlds.

Bottom line: this defense has a lot of holes. A playmaker in any facet of the defense will be welcomed. If we reach for OUR guy, then so be it. Trufant is a player I am on board for.

Im not advocating he blitz a lot when i say manufacture pressure.
I have more confidence in guys tht have shown they can get to the passer n the NFL thn guys tht are fresh out of college

Every OLB in this draff has questions.

Jarvis n his neck
Ansah and his rawness
Dion Jordan if he makes it to our pick
Jamie collins and his motor
Mingo and his production

I get we need a passrusher because we dont know wht we have n galette and tez but we know more about how they project thn the current crop off passrushers.

Id rather grab a few guys n FA who can do wht we are hoping these prospects can.

No one is saying u cant find good cbs n later rounds...just echoing SPs sentiments tht the majority of ur good corners are drafted earlier thn later.

To put tht in perspective im willing to bet its easier to find a passrusher in the 3-7 thn it is to finda quality corner n those same rounds.

What do you mean by manufacturing pressure then? Stunts, confusion, and blitzes will only get you so far. And yes it is possibly that guys in college will come in and be a better pass rusher than what we already have. This is VERY common in the NFL and is usually what happens most of the time. Team DRAFT their best pass rushers.

You'll find question marks in every player in this draft if you watch them enough. Over evaluation is common. Watch more film on these corners you want to draft and you'll see the same thing about them.

As for finding a pass rusher in FA, there are a couple of problems there. 1) What are we going to pay them with? 2) Show me the pass rushers who are available in FA.

As for the majority of good corners being drafted in the first round, I won't disagree with that. But I would also say the same thing about offensive tackles, wide receivers, linebackers, defensive lineman, and safeties - that applies to every position.

You can have an elite cornerback and avoid him, it's simple. There are around three more eligible receivers on the field who are options - you can't avoid an elite pass rusher, that guy's going to be there. If you double him, then that just makes it easier for the other guys. An elite CB won't change this team b/c the rest of our guys have show that their easy to throw on, the best solution is to affect the source directly, and we all know what that is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom