Destiny Bungie's new game (3 Viewers)

I don't think the yearly roster updates and the yearly milking of IPs has anything to do with the ~$1 cost of packaging..

Psssssssssst............... . .... . . . actually music on CDs is not dead, and it isn't dying any time soon.

Welcome to America and the Free Market, where DEMAND(salt) rules and people want their Pizzas from a Hut.

I don't think the yearly roster updates and the yearly milking of IPs has anything to do with the $1 cost of packaging..

Psssssssssst............... . .... . . . actually music on CDs is not dead, and it isn't dying any time soon.

It's not the cost of the packaging itself. It's the distribution deals that the publishers have with places like Gamestop and Best Buy, the cost of hiring people to put that stuff together in a box, the cost of owning or renting a space in which to do the packaging, the cost of sings to put in stores, the cost of advertising campaigns to get people into stores, the legal teams you need to enforce your copyrights on hard media that is not in your control. I could go on.

And yeah, I've going to run right down to the closest Tower Records, Fye, Circuit City, Warehouse Music, or Virgin Music store to pick up the latest CDs when I get off work. Then I'm going order a pizza from Domino's or Pappa Johns.

I DEMAND you to go on.

Okay. Inventory control systems, the costs of actually doing inventory, tax lawyers to figure out the tax implications of the on hand inventory and property that you have to own to make hard media, health insurance for all those employees putting discs in boxes, insurance costs for the property, insurance costs for employees who are delivering the hard media.

Plus, Acitivision, the middle man, has to make a profit so that increases the costs that will be passed on to the consumer.

That may be about it. But the point is that there is huge overhead involved in hard media and Activision sure as **** isn't going to absorb that cost itself. They are going to make you and me pay for it whether it be through expansion packs or Eververse. The only way to avoid that is to cut out Activision, cut out the middle man and go to all direct downloads.

In Music, last year was the first time that digital sold more than physical. 34% of the market was physical sales. No market is going to abandon 1/3 of their consumers. Music on CDs isn't going anywhere. Cost of Distribution < Cost of lost market share.

pretty sure i was the last person buying CDs...

and i actually bought the last Primus album on itunes, so physical media is now officially dead

In Music, last year was the first time that digital sold more than physical. 34% of the market was physical sales. No market is going to abandon 1/3 of their consumers. Music on CDs isn't going anywhere. Cost of Distribution < Cost of lost market share.

studios quit producing vhs tapes around 2004 or 2005, yet they were still selling players 2010ish. it depends on which side of the market you are looking at.

projections still have Physical sales at around ~20% in 2021. Edit: I was mistaken also, Digital downloads DO NOT make more money than Physical sales. Streaming makes more money than Physical sales.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F840ceff4-4a39-11e7-919a-1e14ce4af89b

PC/Console Video Game physical sales were right at 25% last year, and that is heavily skewed by the PC numbers. So physical Console games are absolutely still in high demand.

well, i recently gave up that battle...

it's far too convenient to download music you want and store it on the one thing you have with you at all times

also, CDs nutz

anecdotes < statistics.

Yeah, but look at those stats based on demographics. I think you'd find most physical copies are older people.

I buy physical here and there, or digital. I go with what's cheaper. Also, Amazon usually gives you autorip, so if you buy the CD, you also get it digitally. Sometimes I just want to listen to the album, not some mixed in with my 1000+ mp3's on my USB stick.

I think you'd find most physical copies are older people.

I buy physical here and there, or digital.

Meaning Physical media is still in demand, so physical sales of media will continue for the foreseeable future and are not "dying".

Also the inclusion of Digital media with the physical copies is a genius marketing ploy for phasing out physical media.

I tend to agree that the good ole Brick and Mortar stores and physical media are being phased out slowly, but..

Amazon's newest bricks and mortar store opens in New York - BBC News

Conveinience
For him, the ability to pick up his purchases straight away without having to wait for them to be delivered, combined with low, online-world prices has long-term appeal: "It's like the future of retail."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom