Detellier On Draft/Saints (1 Viewer)

So we trade for Vilma and draft Rivers..........I can deal with that.

RIVERS VILMA FUJITA

If we were planning to take Rivers, I would much rather sign Briggs (move him to MLB) and then draft Rivers. On the other hand, if we were trying to sign two LBs before draft day, then I would not mind trading for Vilma (though I would not offer anything above a 4th and more than likely would try to trade a 6th rounder for a guy coming off a major injury) and signing Briggs.

Lets say there is not a player at 10 the saints want and no other team is willing to trade up, would it make sense to take the highest rated player like Djack and then attempt to trade him with a team behind the saints?

Is having the player a team wanted more leverage than the 10th pick? My thinking is that the team may have originally thought Djack would fall to them and if the saints dangle him in front of their face they would be very tempted.

I don't think any team would be more likely to trade for a player. It also makes it harder to trade. The 1st round picks will have less time this year. So really unless you have something worked out for the pick already, its near impossible to get something done in time (trading a player). Too much scrambling.

Personally I am not against taking a player like DeSean Jackson. I think he would definitly impact our offenses big play ability and is an impact player in the return game. I think its especially likely given what might be available, what will be available in free agency and what players are likely to go top 10. We have a stong chance of standing there at #10 and an offensive player is the top player on our board with guys like Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, Rivers, Long, Connor all good chances of going before we pick.

I know we need defense, but you can't help but be excited about the youth and talent of an offense that features Colston, Bush, Meachem, Jackson and Brees.

Trade up to Ravens with our 4th round pick and grab Ellis. Last year a lot of people wanted to trade up and grab Willis and I was against it, and boy was I wrong so lets not make the same mistake this year lets move up and grab an impact player.

If we need to trade up Baltimore are the perfect team. They aren't in the need of an Ellis and may have a quarterback on their radar. Trading down to #10 will deny a divisional rival a player and they still will likely get the player they targeted at #10. If that works out the Ravens get the player they wanted for less money, an additional draft pick and give a divisional rival less options and maybe deny them the player they wanted (potentially Ellis)

Rivers would be a great pick in the 1st, one of the few players I want choosen by the Saints with that #10 spot.

move down to 15-17 and get flowers CB VT...

no move down and take talib , and flowers in round 2-3

i cant see ellis AND dorsey getting selected in the top ten .... dorsey isnt the first overall for sure,.. his stock is falling a bit because of injuries.... if dorsey falls to about 4-6 , i cant see ellis gettin selected this high , too.
teams are very carefull of injuries , especially with linemen in round 1. i dont think that dorsey will make a alan branch , but i wouldnt wonder if he slip through 6-8 .

the second thing : i cant understand people who want us to trade up for picking ellis.... two picks for a DT in round 1 again ? after the sully disaster ? for a position with such a high bust rate and limited harvest the last 5-10 years ?

if we stay : only phillips would be logical for me ! (IMHO)
if we trade down , we can pick bpa on defense in round 1 and two
trading up isnt the best idea , since the talent in the high top of the draft is very limited and pretty weak after it....

just my two cent.

at the end we pick offense bpa .... and i would kill sean payton if it isnt atleast a potentially guy for instant starter at RT

If we need to trade up Baltimore are the perfect team. They aren't in the need of an Ellis and may have a quarterback on their radar. Trading down to #10 will deny a divisional rival a player and they still will likely get the player they targeted at #10. If that works out the Ravens get the player they wanted for less money, an additional draft pick and give a divisional rival less options and maybe deny them the player they wanted (potentially Ellis)

Good points, I hadnt thought of all that.

But isnt Ellis a sure thing? Did Sully have similar hype at the time?

I am hoping that teams get excited about the running backs coming out early and produce a run at a position the Saints don't need in the first round. That way, some of the defensive players would drop.

Last edited:
just my two cent.

at the end we pick offense bpa .... and i would kill sean payton if it isnt atleast a potentially guy for instant starter at RT

Why RT? I thought stinch had a better year than brown this year-hes damn solid and relatively young

Why RT? I thought stinch had a better year than brown this year-hes damn solid and relatively young

brown had a down year and he is a little overrated , too. ( so is the complete line , we as saints fans knew it already ,the rest just watching the low sack numbers )
but stinchie , while isnt real old or washed up , seems to me at the end of his talentlevel. he has no natural aggressiveness , gets often outrun and outpushed. is more of a second level blocker like most of our OLinemen. there were a few screens and short passes where he had real good blocks on a LB or safety , but other than that it seems that he consistently gets pushed around and fails to get good execution on running plays.

he is a little like kwame harris only with interchanged strengths and weaknesses , i wouldnt regret if we replace him and nesbit now and faine the next year.

and dont forget : he had a slow start in his career for a reason and in my opinion he got the job because of lack in the alternatives.

I prefer trading down, because I like multiple draft picks... trading up comes with more risks of second guessing and was this player "worth" the picks you "could've" had.

Jamal Brown paid off but that was a couple of spots, but the Johnathan Sullivan experience has soured me on trading up too far.

I'd rather sit back and see what starts falling, and trade down if you think you can still get that same player or one comparable.

Good points, I hadnt thought of all that.

But isnt Ellis a sure thing? Did Sully have similar hype at the time?

I purchase around 3-4 different Draft Magazines every year before the draft. As all of you know each and every one of them has some sort of mock draft in them and I can remember at least 3 of them having Johnathan Sullivan going to us at number 18 (remember we had 17 and 18) and I believe the other one had him going to someone behind us in the 20s. So to answer your question, no, Sully didn't have the kind of hype that Ellis has, he was more of a "potential" guy. I remember watching that draft and screaming at the television because I had the magazines in front of me at the time. And I knew we had screwed up because I read his bio in every one of those magazines and all of them seemed to say the same thing: should have stayed in school for one more year, great physical ability but unmotivated, etc.

Dewayne Robertson from Kentucky was the DT with all the hype that year. He went to the Jets at #4.

Last edited:
I purchase around 3-4 different Draft Magazines every year before the draft. As all of you know each and every one of them has some sort of mock draft in them and I can remember at least 3 of them having Johnathan Sullivan going to us at number 18 (remember we had 17 and 18) and I believe the other one had him going to someone behind us in the 20s. So to answer your question, no, Sully didn't have the kind of hype that Ellis has, he was more of a "potential" guy. I remember watching that draft and screaming at the television because I had the magazines in front of me at the time. And I knew we had screwed up because I read his bio in every one of those magazines and all of them seemed to say the same thing: should have stayed in school for one more year, great physical ability but unmotivated, etc.

Dewayne Robertson from Kentucky was the DT with all the hype that year. He went to the Jets at #4.

I remember. When we traded up I screamed, "Holy Cow - we're taking Trufant!" I didn't know who Sully was?

The New Orleans Saints will not draft an outside LB in round one. It will not occur. So everyone wanting Rivers should stop wishing for it. The Saints won't replace Fujita or Shanle and they're right in that thinking. Given the way this draft looks pre-combine, expect the Saints to deal out of the spot or force a CB pick.

The New Orleans Saints will not draft an outside LB in round one. It will not occur. So everyone wanting Rivers should stop wishing for it. The Saints won't replace Fujita or Shanle and they're right in that thinking. Given the way this draft looks pre-combine, expect the Saints to deal out of the spot or force a CB pick.

So, you don't believe that we were expected to take A.J. Hawk if Reggie didn't fall to us?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom