Detillier article today addresses offseason, McAllister. (1 Viewer)

The Saints have approached Deuce and his agent about restructuring. However, from what I have been told they are not very receptive at this point. I really don't look for Deuce to be back (and I love Deuce) but don't be surprised if they attempt to move him. The draft is heavy at RB, so I wouldn't expect to get much for Deuce and any team that would take him would expect him to restructure also.

Well from a pure business sense I could see why Deuce and his agent wouldn't be "receptive" toward restructuing. The Saints have the sixth most cap available WITH Deuce's current salary. It's not like the Saints FO needs Deuce to restructure to be able to get under the cap or sign FAs. So as the Saints All Time leading rusher I think they (Deuce and his agent) believe he's earned his upcoming salary.

But I can also see from the Saints FO perspective as well. Do you keep an aging expensive vet RB who is coming off his second knee surgery? They have a younger player who flashed the "potential" to takeover his role in the Offense. The team's going into a draft deep in RBs. Lots of chances to replace McAllister with younger, healthier, cheaper guys. It would hurt to lose team leader and spokesman McAllister but like Bill Walsh said "It's far better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late".

Who's right? Don't know but in case you didn't know it's going to be an really interesting offseason......

If we keep Deuce we will probably get a big back in later rounds or as udfa. I don't think we have any one back now that we can completely trust to carry the entire load. PT has potential. RB needs to be in space. Deuce was a monster a few years ago, but who knows?

When preseason comes back around you all will be all on the PT bandwagon again.

we all were on the vaughn dunbar bandwagon a few years ago to...... regarding the pt bandwagon..
not saying pt isn't going to be great and he seems promising , just saying we've seen the flash in the pan running back before.

We are gonna be ok at runningback, I think we have so many options(Duece, Reggie, Pierre) everybody has there favorite scenario they wanna see play out

we all were on the vaughn dunbar bandwagon a few years ago to...... regarding the pt bandwagon..
not saying pt isn't going to be great and he seems promising , just saying we've seen the flash in the pan running back before.

Not a good comparsion.......yes we were all excited about Dunbar. Why? Dunbar was a number one draft pick, former All American, was just coming off being the second leading rusher in the NCAA. But Dunbar NEVER flashed the promise that Pierre Thomas has. He was terrible in the preseason and continued to be terrible in the regular season. Dunbar completely lacked vision. It turned out that everyone had been fooled by Dunbar that it was the incredible OL (4 of the 5 OL played in NFL) he played behind at Indiana that made hime look great.

Pierre Thomas wa an UDFA. Unheralded, described as "nice" player in college but went completely undrafted. His preseason performance put him a notch above draftee Antonio Pittman and had him make the roster. Thomas made the most of almost every opprotunity he was given. But when he was tagged as the starter against a pumped up Bears he had a great game. Vaughn Dunbar averaged 35 yards a game as a starter, Pierre Thomas had 105 yards in his only NFL start.

A better comparsion would be Pierre Thomas and Wilmont Perry.

Thomas had 105 yards in his only NFL start.

Not only that game. Pierre always made the most out of every chance he got throughout the season. He will no doubt continue to do so. He is just that kind of player. Somehow, I think Pierre is an embarrassment to th epowers that be. Why else wouldn't they play him... especially after Reggie got hurt?

Exactly in agreement here.

So, let's hope Payton puts the emphasis on the defense. As the sating goes, "offense sells tickets, defense wins championships," which was the case once more this year.

I was puzzled by his comments on Jeff Faine and the importance of re-signing him. The running game seemed better when Faine was out with an injury. And the times when Drew was really pressured, it seemed to come from up the gut, right over Faine...

I think we could upgrade there.

Agreed

& the Panthers probably will not go after him:

Turner unlikely to be a Panther

The Carolina Panthers need a running back. San Diego's Michael Turner, the multi-talented backup to all-pro LaDainian Tomlinson, is available starting Friday in free agency. But this match probably will never happen.

Turner's likely to carry a heavy pricetag. The Panthers almost certainly won't get into a bidding war for him. If they're going to spend big money on any player -- and that's a big if -- it's more likely to be for a defensive end.
http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/02/turner-unlikely.html

Possibly losing Deuce and McKenzie in the same year. Two great character, community guys and when healthy, two of the Saints best players.

Hey I'd hate to see Duece go. But if thats the decision that the powers that be will make. IF, Duece can't go, if Turner didn't break the bank then ok. BUT the draft is deep in the RB group. Pick one like Stewart or Hester, a bruising back that can be called on to get that tough 1-2 yards.
I'm one of the biggest PT fans! I said in preseason last year to watch him! Every time he gets on the field hes exciting to watch. WITH a year in the off season conditioning program, i can't wait to see if he's bulked out some. If he has, then look for this young man to be electrifying on the field !
But those are ifs a the Coach may not want to wait.

From the Article about Deuce and Norwood teaming up, I got the impression Deuce is going to be very agreeable to whatever the saints need to do.

He mentioned the saints may ask to push back the bonus due until he is further along in his rehab. He also acknowledged that as a business man he understand the saints have to do what it right for the team.

I really expect deuce to agree to a 1 or 2 year extension with a reduced salary this year and incentives added. The extension allows them to make his cap hit minimal for the remaining years.

If we come to the conclusion that Deuce is never going to be a viable RB again theres no point in restructuring to keep him around. Roster spots are valuable. I don't want him taking up a spot Thomas could have just because he was the face of the franchise a few years ago. I know its a tough decision, but if his recovery really has hit snags, I don't think its worth keeping him on the roster for the next 2 years to hope he can one day get 5 carries a game again.

And everyone keeps saying "we don't need to spend alot of money on Turner"....while I'm not in favor of signing him, he isn't going to cost alot of money. A player is only as valuable as the amount of teams that want him, and as of now noone wants the guy it looks like.

I do not think we should in any way rely on PT as a starter. We either need Deuce or Turner or another big time back. I know PT is the second coming of Earl Campbell to some (not all) on this board. i think he is a very good third stringer. But watch him versus deuce when healthy or Turner and there's no comparison in my opinion. We cannot ride him to a Super Bowl and the coaches know this. he is servicable when the featured back is injured. Stecker has had great games too (I recall him having 100+ games in a reserve role). But he is also not an every down back that will carry a team to the Super Bowl. I like PT and all, but if he and Bush are the 2 starters, we will not even make the playoffs...just my 2cents

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom