Detillier article today addresses offseason, McAllister. (1 Viewer)

"... the Saints having tagged Faine earlier this week. "

Link, please.

ddd

Great catch, thanks.. I must be having one of the all-time brain locks. I could have sworn I saw an ESPN story that we had tagged Faine earlier this week, but I went back on the usual suspect sites and found.....nothing of the sort.

I'll go edit the post as soon as these mushrooms wear off.

But the Saints ran the ball a ton in '06. Deuce had over 1,000 yards, remember?

I have yet to see anyone suggest this; Maybe Deuce lost a step or two in between '06 and '07. Maybe the grind of the rehab from the previous year finally caught up to him. We saw 0 signs of Deuce being effective last season, in the limited time we saw him. I think it's because Payton already knew he lost a step, and had to give more of the load to Reggie, who he knew wasn't ready for that role.

PT can't be counted on. It was the last regular season game where defenders were no doubt going through the motions. Given the stage of the performance I'm not all that impressed. It takes a lot more to prove you can be the man to shoulder the load.

People really think Pierre is the man....after one game...that alone makes me not take them seriously...since when has one game made a guy a player?...seriously?

I'm a fan of pierre and I look for him to keep improving and contributing to this team, but as far as him being a better player than Duece or Bush, I'm gonna leave that up to "time".

I wonder what Pierre Thomas is thinking. He just out performed Reggie Bush last season. His only start he had over 200 yards of total offense.

What more can a guy do to get more playing time? If we bring in Turner and leave Bush at halfback, then Pierre has been eliminated again. Just sit there and wait for an injury I guess.

That's correct, he only had one start and you're trying to use that as a basis for him outperforming RB. I think you do not have enough evidence to make that claim. Not to mention, RB was out of position last year and that falls under the coaching staff and how they used him. Personally, I don't think they'll bring in Turner because I do believe Deuce will be ready and with PT in the wings, the Saints do have depth at RB goign into the draft.

Great catch, thanks.. I must be having one of the all-time brain locks. I could have sworn I saw an ESPN story that we had tagged Faine earlier this week, but I went back on the usual suspect sites and found.....nothing of the sort.

IIRC, some dude posted a bogus thread saying we tagged him. Maybe that's what it was.

Some knucklehead posted that we put a franchise tag on Faine week on here on SR.com. He was fleshed out as a fraud and the rumor was false. The thread was deleted, I believe.

I wouldn't agree with that signing at all. I just don't feel that RB is a huge priority for us. We have Reggie Bush and Pierre Thomas and we have a draft approaching with excellent depth at the position. I would much rather acquire veterans on the defensive side of the ball who need to contribute immediately and go young at RB where he should not have to immediately start for us. Not to mention that we also have a Heach Coach who has not shown a commitment to the run so why not have someone like Bush who can fit it with our spread formations and be that extra receiver on the field.

totally agree.. we may as well face it. Sadly, Deuce will probably never be the same again. 2 major knee injuries within 2 years. WOW! And, bilaterally at that. Defense dictates games. I feel our 1st 2 draft picks should be focused totally on defense. 2 Young guys who can start and make an impact immediately. FA should also be focused on Def.

However, if there is a RB in the later rounds that could be effective, we should consider. One name that comes to mind is Forte'. He rushed for 70+ yds on 15 carries (with a sub-par O-Line) against a pretty good Defense. He just ran sub 4.5 40yd. And I remember how he was able to break away from first tacklers against LSU. Reminds me much of a young Deuce. Big RB, yet fast. If he last til the 3rd, it would be an interesting option.

But the Saints ran the ball a ton in '06. Deuce had over 1,000 yards, remember?

I have yet to see anyone suggest this; Maybe Deuce lost a step or two in between '06 and '07. Maybe the grind of the rehab from the previous year finally caught up to him. We saw 0 signs of Deuce being effective last season, in the limited time we saw him. I think it's because Payton already knew he lost a step, and had to give more of the load to Reggie, who he knew wasn't ready for that role.

PT can't be counted on. It was the last regular season game where defenders were no doubt going through the motions. Given the stage of the performance I'm not all that impressed. It takes a lot more to prove you can be the man to shoulder the load.

1000 yards don't mean the same as it used to... for example... 1000 yards divided into 16 games = an average of 62.5 yards per game... for a guy coming off a torn ACL that's pretty impressive, but still.

If you think the Bears defense "packed it in" in that last game of the season you're kidding yourself. if that was the case then they would have sat their main guys for the game rather than play them from the opening kickoff til the final whistle. Rewatch that game and tell me that the Bears defense didn't play hard.

I rewatched that bears game again this past week, and man... pierre runs hard... has great vision, and an ability to make people miss.

Its on the FO if they want to spend $ on a guy like Turner, but I think we'll be just fine with Reggie, Pierre, and a rookie (if somehow Deuce isn't retained).

Some of you guys act like Pierre had a horrible season except for one game... the guy only got one real "shot", and he made the most of it. He only had the best day in Saints RB history against a pretty good bears defense.

Well here some encouraging news about Duece from Coach Payton...

Deuce McAllister's roster spot with the Saints should be safe at least until the summer, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Deuce's salary manageable, so he figures to return as Reggie Bush's backfield mate in 2008, barring an oustanding offseason from Pierre Thomas. "Our plans are full-speed ahead right now (with McAllister)," coach Sean Payton said. "He's rehabbing, and we fully intend for him to be a guy that we look at and have a chance to evaluate how he's come off his injuries."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

its still a wait and see process for us fans, but it may be that were going back the 06 backfield, Deuce has lost something to injury, but he is still gonna be an effective inside runner for us, with Reggie getting his touches....sorry Pierre Fan's but I dont think Coach Payton and Co. feel all is lost with Duece and Reggie....go figure.

The Saints have approached Deuce and his agent about restructuring. However, from what I have been told they are not very receptive at this point. I really don't look for Deuce to be back (and I love Deuce) but don't be surprised if they attempt to move him. The draft is heavy at RB, so I wouldn't expect to get much for Deuce and any team that would take him would expect him to restructure also.

The Saints have approached Deuce and his agent about restructuring. However, from what I have been told they are not very receptive at this point. I really don't look for Deuce to be back (and I love Deuce) but don't be surprised if they attempt to move him. The draft is heavy at RB, so I wouldn't expect to get much for Deuce and any team that would take him would expect him to restructure also.

I trust your source... but how in GOD's name can Deuce (and Dogra) not be receptive to restructuring? He resigned in 2005 correct? since then he's only played in one "somewhat" healthy season... man I hope Deuce and Dogra come off of their demands and think logically.. or else we'll be Deuceless :(

I am surprised Deuces' camp isn't more receptive...for the exact reasons you mentioned. I think he is due $4.7M this year. After reading the quote from Coach I am thinking Deuce will not make the final roster.

Here is the entire blurb from Times Pic's Mike Triplette.

--------------

Veteran tailback Deuce McAllister should be secure at least through the summer, despite the fact that he has suffered two major knee injuries in the past three years. His salary this year is manageable -- $3.6 million, plus $1.1 million in bonuses, and he is one of the most respected players on the roster.
"Our plans are full-speed ahead right now (with McAllister)," Payton said. "He's rehabbing, and we fully intend for him to be a guy that we look at and have a chance to evaluate how he's come off his injuries. I saw him just the other day. He's doing well."
. . . . . . .
Mike Triplett can be reached at mtriplett@timespicayune.com or (504) 826-3405

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here some encouraging news about Duece from Coach Payton...

Deuce McAllister's roster spot with the Saints should be safe at least until the summer, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

Deuce's salary manageable, so he figures to return as Reggie Bush's backfield mate in 2008, barring an oustanding offseason from Pierre Thomas. "Our plans are full-speed ahead right now (with McAllister)," coach Sean Payton said. "He's rehabbing, and we fully intend for him to be a guy that we look at and have a chance to evaluate how he's come off his injuries."

its still a wait and see process for us fans, but it may be that were going back the 06 backfield, Deuce has lost something to injury, but he is still gonna be an effective inside runner for us, with Reggie getting his touches....sorry Pierre Fan's but I dont think Coach Payton and Co. feel all is lost with Duece and Reggie....go figure.

Hmm, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

"barring an outstanding offseason from Pierre Thomas" Thomas is too small to be what we will need to replace Deuce.

"Deuce's salary manageable" That's not a sentence, so I guess its open to interpretation.
I interpret: Deuce has waived his roster bonus to stay on the team.

I suspect some PC talk from the coach here, because the glaring need for a backup at the big-man running back was very obvious last year. Some may (MAY!) feel it hurt the team badly. But no insulting such a fine man as Deuce. Not his fault if he's hurt and we have a pack of 210 pounders to replace him. But I think we will look around, and go for some insurance player that is larger than anyone in our current group, Bush, Steck, and PT.

OK, I'm drunk, I'll stop.

ddd

Great article...addresses what we really don't want to think about, life without Duece.

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/20080224/SPORTS/777047225/1103/SPORTS02

"If the Saints can’t work out a new deal for McAllister, which would really be the best thing for the player and organization, I expect the team to make an early free agency push to sign San Diego Chargers halfback Michael Turner."

"By this time next week I believe we may know the how, or if, McAllister fits with the Saints plans for 2008. If the Saints make a run at Turner, it is a clear-cut indication that McAllister will not be a part of this team."

"Hopefully something can be worked out financially with McAllister keeping him in a Saints uniform. But to be honest, if the tough decision to jettison him is made, a threesome of Turner, Bush and Thomas is not a bad one to crank up the 2008 season."

Interesting his thoughts are in line with what draftdaddy.com "sources" said about our interest in Michael Turner:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.cfm

"Mike Turner's (Chargers tailback) people are not happy here in Indy. Apparently his agent has been told precisely what I expected -- the draft is loaded with tailbacks and teams in dire need at running back will draft one. The one team that might be his buyer is New Orleans, because Deuce's recovery has hit some snags, according to their trainers."

A good read...thanks for the link.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom