Deuce and Reggie (1 Viewer)

Reminds me of a Franco Harris/Rocky Bleier or Roger Craig/Tom Rathman combo.
good examples, but not good enough. I would say more like a Warrick Dunn and a TJ Duckett backfield, of course duece is way better than Duckett, but wow, i dont think there has ever been a 1-2 punch that are as good, and as high paid as reggie and deuce.

good examples, but not good enough. I would say more like a Warrick Dunn and a TJ Duckett backfield, of course duece is way better than Duckett, but wow, i dont think there has ever been a 1-2 punch that are as good, and as high paid as reggie and deuce.

As far as pay goes, probably. But don't forget our own Muncie/Galbreath backfield. In 1979 Muncie rushed for 1198 yds and caught 40 passes while Galbreath picked up 708 yds and caught 58 passes. Our first version of "Thunder and Lightning".

It was a different time and offenses were very nowhere as sophisticated as they are today, but those 2 guys were something to see.

(stats from pro-football-reference.com)

I loved Chuck muncie, but I think the best backfield in Saints history, before now, was in the late 80s when we had Dalton Hilliard and Rueben Mayes.

As for Deuce and Reggie, I think they can be the best tandem ever. I fully expect both of them to have 1,000 yard seasons next year. They are both signed long term. It should be fun.

They remind me a lot the cleveland backfield in '89 when they had Kevin Mack and Eric Metcalf.

I loved Chuck muncie, but I think the best backfield in Saints history, before now, was in the late 80s when we had Dalton Hilliard and Rueben Mayes....

An excellent pair of RBs and among my favorite as well. But the difference is that we put Deuce/Reggie in the backfield at the same time and we put Muncie/Galbreath in the backfield at the same time on almost every play.. We almost never did that with Hilliard/Mayes. They ran a very occasional play when they were both back there, but that was far away the exception rather than the rule. They spelled each other rather worked together. FWIW, that is why I chose that particular comparison.

Reggie and Deuce will not only be the best tandem at RB in Saints history, but if Deuce gets back to his 100% self and Reggie progresses like we all think he will they could possibly be the best tandem in NFL history.

It would be like having Marshall Faulk and Eddie George 7 years ago.......WOW!

An excellent pair of RBs and among my favorite as well. But the difference is that we put Deuce/Reggie in the backfield at the same time and we put Muncie/Galbreath in the backfield at the same time on almost every play.. We almost never did that with Hilliard/Mayes. They ran a very occasional play when they were both back there, but that was far away the exception rather than the rule. They spelled each other rather worked together. FWIW, that is why I chose that particular comparison.

I completely agree. The Muncie/Galbreath backfield is pretty hard to beat. I don't think you'll ever be able to compare Deuce/Bush because Bush is often used as a reciever/flanker/slot guy. Galbreath was one of the NFL's better all time receiver's out of the backfield--but he was also a legitimate fullback as well. You don't have the threat of the power formation with Deuce and Reggie that you had with Muncie/Galbreath.

I think the combo of Deuce and Reggie might make for a better offense, but the backfield comparision is shaky, IMO.

Andy Livingston and Tony Baker were were a great duo also. Too bad Livingston got fat. Tony Baker was a great back that for some stupid reason was traded to the Rams where he became known as TouchDown Tony.

Here are these player's stats as of now, with 3 games left:

Deuce McAllister: 202 rushes for 901 yards and a 4.5 avg, plus 8 TDs.
27 rec. for 164 yards and a 6.1 avg. No TDs.

Reggie Bush: 125 rushes for 405 yards and a 3.2 avg. 4 TDs.
79 rec. for 687 yards and a 8.7 avg. 2 TD.
23 ret for 196 yards and a 8.5 avg, plus 1 TD.

Here are my new projections for how these two will finish the year:

Deuce McAllister: 259 rushes for 1,189 yards and a 4.6 avg, 11 TDs.
39 rec. for 246 yards and a 6.3 avg, plus 1 TD.
Overall, 1,435 all-purpose yards and 12 TDs.

Reggie Bush: 162 rushes for 592 yards and a 3.7 avg, plus 6 TDs.
94 rec. for 864 yards and a 9.2 avg, plus 4 TDs.
31 ret for 307 yards and a 9.9 avg, plus 2 TDs.
Overall, 1,763 all-purpose yards and 14 TDs.

I plan on keeping foocus on these numbers to see how they compare around the league.

If my projections are accurate, that is ver 3,000 all-purpose yards by these two players. WOW.

What about Brian Piccolo and Gale Sayers? Maybe not a good comparison as that story didn't have such a happy ending.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom