Deuce can still achieve 1,000 yards rushing (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that not enough? I believe it to be EXTREMELY relevant that this guy comes back from that type of injury to even be able to suit up again let alone walk without a limp. 1,000 yds rushing has been an established benchmark for as long as I can remember. ESPN will remind you of that. Besides that, if we were losing and he was about to hit the 1000 yd mark, it'd be the lone bright spot in the season. But alas, it's not the lone bright spot. We have many bright spots this year and Deuce hitting 1000 yds is a bright spot IMO.

Wait wait wait. Like I said....coming back from an injury and having a great year is incredible. Even if ACL injuries aren't as big a deal as they were 10 years ago.

But the 1,000 yard mark is irrelevant and outdated.

Let me remind you that ESPN and the NFL are two totally different organizations. ESPN is in the business of hype and selling advertisments. Just because some schlub on Around the Horn thinks 1000 yards is good doesn't mean anybody in the front office is impressed.

And nobody is going to the pro bowl or getting a huge contract extension based on a 1,000 yard season.

1,000 yards is pretty big for a college running back, but then they only play 11 or 12 games a year. The NFL plays 16.

Last edited:
Brees has won the award before after the 2004 season I believe. I still haven't figure out exactly what he was coming back from though that year.

I think he was coming back from a not-so-good 2003 season where he threw more picks than TDs, and took a bunch of sacks. Comeback Player is not only inclusive of guys playing well off of injuries, but for those who were not good before and then come back to have a terrific season the next year as well.

Bra' how long have you been an NFL fan its been and has always been 1,000yrd rushing, 1.000yrd receiving and 3,000yrd passing have always been the milestones for a productive year for a runningback, reciever and quarterback.

Again...for whom? Sports writers? Fans? Or GM's and head coaches?

I was wondering, what is the total rushing yards combined between Deuce and Reggie at this point anyway?

Ask, and ye shall receive........

Deuce McAllister 155..... 654..... 4.2..... 57..... 8
Reggie Bush 109..... 331..... 3.0..... 18 .....1

Again...for whom? Sports writers? Fans? Or GM's and head coaches?

As it has been said many times on this thread, the NFL benchmark for RB's has always been 1,000 yards. Always. For Receivers it has always been 1,000 yards as well, and for QB's 3,000 yards. This has always been the benchmarks. Always.

Wait wait wait. Like I said....coming back from an injury and having a great year is incredible. Even if ACL injuries aren't as big a deal as they were 10 years ago.

But the 1,000 yard mark is irrelevant and outdated.

Let me remind you that ESPN and the NFL are two totally different organizations. ESPN is in the business of hype and selling advertisments. Just because some schlub on Around the Horn thinks 1000 yards is goo doesn't mean anybody in the front office is impressed.

And nobody is going to the pro bowl or getting a huge contract extension based on a 1,000 yard season.

1,000 yards is pretty big for a college running back, but then they only play 11 or 12 games a year. The NFL plays 16.

If you're talking how GM's judge RB's then maybe you should find some quote that backs up your statement that people in the league don't view 1000 yards rushing as a successful season for a RB. I say that because everyone I have ever heard whether it be an ESPN analysts, Local media or ex-players have used 1000 yard seasons as a barometer to a RB's success.

Also, you could use the argument that with todays passing Offenses it is harder than ever to get alot of rushing yards.

Look, point blank, Deuce is averaging over 4 yards a carry and that is known as a benchmark to how a RB is rushing the ball. As long as he is hitting that 4 yards a carry, then he's doing his job! It's up to the play-caller how many carries he gets, not him.

2005 - 16 RB's over 1,000 yds
2004 - 18 RB's over 1,000 yds
2003 - 18 RB's over 1,000 yds

Are you trying to say that there are too many RB's hitting the 1,000 yd mark that you feel the benchmark should be raised? If so, you should just come out and say that. If you don't like the idea of the benchmark, then how do you rate anyone to see if they are hitting their quota so to speak.

Even so, there are 32 teams, so there are 32 RB's (not including every Tom, Dick and Reggie that carried a few times here and there). 3 yrs x 32 RB's = 96. Number of 1,000 yd rushers in that span? 52. So that leaves (without going into a stat research that I may never recover from) 44 RB's that couldn't do it. That is more than half, but once you include ALL the RB's that toted the rock in those years, I'm sure the percentage goes way down.

As it has been said many times on this thread, the NFL benchmark for RB's has always been 1,000 yards. Always. For Receivers it has always been 1,000 yards as well, and for QB's 3,000 yards. This has always been the benchmarks. Always.

You keep saying that, but you're not listening to me.

Benchmark for whom?

Do you know what benchmark even means?

bench‧mark  /ˈbɛntʃˌmɑrk/
–noun 1. a standard of excellence, achievement, etc., against which similar things must be measured or judged.

Is 1,000 a yards a standard of excellence?

Let me put it another way. Is 62.5 yards rushing per game a bench mark of a good game?

I honestly don't think 62.5 yards is anything special.

Now...do your math and see that 62.5yards x 16games = 1,000 yards/season.

Not real impressive in my book.

Therefore...an outdated and irrelevant "benchmark".

Look, point blank, Deuce is averaging over 4 yards a carry and that is known as a benchmark to how a RB is rushing the ball. As long as he is hitting that 4 yards a carry, then he's doing his job! It's up to the play-caller how many carries he gets, not him.

I'll agree with that.

Again....thus making the 1,000 yard season completely irrelevant.

If he averages 4 yards per carry....regardless of the number of carries he gets...then he has had a good season, right?

2005 - 16 RB's over 1,000 yds
2004 - 18 RB's over 1,000 yds
2003 - 18 RB's over 1,000 yds

Are you trying to say that there are too many RB's hitting the 1,000 yd mark that you feel the benchmark should be raised? If so, you should just come out and say that. If you don't like the idea of the benchmark, then how do you rate anyone to see if they are hitting their quota so to speak.

Even so, there are 32 teams, so there are 32 RB's (not including every Tom, Dick and Reggie that carried a few times here and there). 3 yrs x 32 RB's = 96. Number of 1,000 yd rushers in that span? 52. So that leaves (without going into a stat research that I may never recover from) 44 RB's that couldn't do it. That is more than half, but once you include ALL the RB's that toted the rock in those years, I'm sure the percentage goes way down.

Well, I have said 1,000 is too low in other posts, but my main question is this reference to "benchmark": y'all keep using.

If 1,000 yards is a "benchmark" used by ESPN analysts then who gives a flip about that "benchmark"?

Does Jay Marriotti (ESPN: Around the Horn) have any input into the offseason free agency dealings of any NFL team?

Also, isn't 100 yards per game a "benchmark"?

Wouldn't 100 yard game average be 1,600 yards per season.

Which is the right "benchmark"? 1,000 yard season or 100 yard game?

When was the last time you heard an ESPN announcer say that Tiki Barber has had six 62.5 yard rushing games in a row?

I'd say 1,000 yards rushing is a benchmark for running backs. When the great ones are talked about it is usually something like: He had 7 straight 1,000 yard season and . . . . .
Just as an example, look at the Pro Football HAll of Fame website's entry for Barry Sanders - the first sentence is: One of the game’s most electrifying runners, Barry Sanders rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his 10 seasons with the Detroit Lions (1989-1998).

Clearly 1,000 yards a season is a benchmark because it is used by media, fans, the league itself, coaches, and others when talking about running backs.

Now we are getting to your true point.

I agree that 62.5 yds a game ISN'T impressive. It sucks as a matter of fact. I won't get into the details of why I think his yds aren't that impressive stat wise.

This benchmark has been a "quota mark" so to speak for as long as I can remember. So to ask "benchmark for who?", I'd have to say the whole league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom