Deuce does nothing but gain yards........WHY is he on the sidelines ?? (1 Viewer)

I'm not sure I understand these complaints. The offense moves the ball on long sustained drives, keeping the defense off the field, and they are scoring points. If we can do that, what is the point of just pounding Deuce? McCarthy and Sheppard tried that, it did not work. Payton attacks teams at their weaknesses, he does not stubbornly insist on attacking another teams strength with our strength. When he needs to pound Deuce he does. Do you remember the last drive of the Philly game where they pounded Decue and threw a few short passes to take 9 minutes off the clock before kicking a field goal.

The bottom line is that this offense is working. They are controlling the clock and they are scoring points. What more can you ask? When the Colts had Edgerin James, did anyone complain that they weren't pounding James enough? I trust that if we stop moving the ball or scoring, Payton will adjust. Until then, lets air the ball out.

Me and a buddy had the exact same discussion. For the life of both of us, we could not understand why Deuce wasn't getting the bulk of the work in the third QTR. It may be the injury, but he certainly doesn't look hurt when he is pounding away for 4 yrds a clip...

Perhaps as the season progresses and into next year, the playcalling will be geared more into Deuce getting 20 touches a game and Reggie being used more in split back, going into motion...

BTW, Reggie was averaging more yards per carry against Pitt. So, from a production standpoint, Reggie should have gotten more carries.

Just so ya' know, i'm just rebutting the common "deuce should have gotten more carries" sentiment around here. I think the play distribution between the RB's has been flawless.

I wonder if you guys will still feel this way after Reggie breaks a few 60 yarders down the stretch?

BTW, I wonder if you guys will still feel this way after Reggie breaks a few 60 yarders down the stretch?

Actually yes I will. You seem to just want to go off of the assumption that it is his knee when that may not be the case.

If you look at 2004, like you stated earlier, the season was completely different. We were playing catch up in many games and were forced to throw. Also, Deuce was used more consistently. If you look at the game by game stats in 2004, Deuce carried the ball a lot more than 16 times a game in games where we were not playing catch up.

I don't think it is his knee. I have yet to hear definitive proof that it is his knee. Give me a link to difinitive PROOF. All I have heard is speculation.

I think Payton is doing it for a reason but i don't think it's the knee.

I personally agree with many here that he should be getting the ball more. We should control the ball and the clock, plus we should wear down defenses.

Now, chitownsaint, you may not agree but chill with the attitude when you don't know anymore than anyone else. If you want to keep the rude attitude, SHOW PROOF. Oh yeah, go and look at the game by game stats in '04.

Someone posted recently that Deuce's RB coach said he could not carry too heavy a load this year.

There is nothing wrong with the playcalling, the schemes, or the decisions regarding personell. If the Saints don't fumble three times yesterday, they win. This is a good, young football team that still has some work to do before they are great. Enjoy what you've got, know the future will be better. This is a fun seson! Despite the loss, it was a fun game to watch! They're going to win at least four more, probably get into the playoffs and who knows what can happen then...

Last edited:
I too am frustrated that we keep trying to run Reggie up the middle when Deuce is a far better between the tackles runner.

Best guess I have is that the offensive staff believes that Reggie will never see the edge or any open space if teams don't at least somewhat respect his running ability up the middle.

I'm a little frustrated watching us seemingly waste downs trying to establish Bush up the middle, but I'm willing to trust this staff. Payton rules.

Now, chitownsaint, you may not agree but chill with the attitude when you don't know anymore than anyone else. If you want to keep the rude attitude, SHOW PROOF. Oh yeah, go and look at the game by game stats in '04.

I'm not sure how I came across as rude, but if I did it was not intended.

On the Deuce injury thing, I don't have proof on how long it takes to come back, but every Doctor that has been quoted by analysts have said it takes 2 years to come back to 100%. Forgive my candor, but I'll take their opinions before any poster on this board!

As far as sustaining long drives, we've done better than ever at keeping drives going this year, why change something that is working just to get Deuce carries?

Didn't read the thread, but Bobby was speculating that it's because of the recent swelling and soreness in the knee. We need Deuce later in the season more than we need him now IMHO.

TPS

There is nothing wrong with the playcalling, the schemes, or the decisions regarding personnel. If the Saints don't fumble three times yesterday, they win. This is a good, young football team that still has some work to do before they are great. Enjoy what you've got, know the future will be better. This is a fun seson! Despite the loss, it was a fun game to watch! THey're going to win at least four more, probably get into the playoffs and who knows what can happen then...

Actually yes I will. You seem to just want to go off of the assumption that it is his knee when that may not be the case.

If you look at 2004, like you stated earlier, the season was completely different. We were playing catch up in many games and were forced to throw. Also, Deuce was used more consistently. If you look at the game by game stats in 2004, Deuce carried the ball a lot more than 16 times a game in games where we were not playing catch up.

I don't think it is his knee. I have yet to hear definitive proof that it is his knee. Give me a link to difinitive PROOF. All I have heard is speculation.

I think Payton is doing it for a reason but i don't think it's the knee.

I personally agree with many here that he should be getting the ball more. We should control the ball and the clock, plus we should wear down defenses.

It's been reported that Deuce has been fighting minor swelling in his knee all year. Add the fact that our o-line is simply better at pass-blocking than run-blocking and we've been incredibly effective passing the ball and it's easy to see why Deuce's load has been lifted. If you notice, Deuce isn't used much in the passing game even though he's a great receiving RB, with those touches being passed to Reggie.

Yea, I have an idea, let's run Deuce 50 times a game and really have his knee swell up to the size of a beach ball and god willing we will make the playoffs and he will be there in a suit and tie cheering us on.

*dripping with sarcsam*

I think giving him a consistent 20 to 25 carries a game is within reason. Even if his knee is problematic, it hasn't kept him from being extremely productive in limited use.

We all want the Saints to win but controlling the clock with a power running game is often the best way to acheive that goal and it isn't being done.

I am not talking about 50 carries a game.

I think it is safe to say that many knee injuries require extended periods of time to heal and that may be the case with Deuce, but what I really want to say is that is not the only option to why he isn't playing more. He seems very sturdy and healthy when on the field and to my knowledge there has been no verifiable statement saying that his knee is bothering him, other that the guesses of a reporter.

Oh well.

I think giving him a consistent 20 to 25 carries a game is within reason. Even if his knee is problematic, it hasn't kept him from being extremely productive in limited use.

We all want the Saints to win but controlling the clock with a power running game is often the best way to acheive that goal and it isn't being done.

I am not talking about 50 carries a game.

I think it is safe to say that many knee injuries require extended periods of time to heal and that may be the case with Deuce, but what I really want to say is that is not the only option to why he isn't playing more. He seems very sturdy and healthy when on the field and to my knowledge there has been no verifiable statement saying that his knee is bothering him, other that the guesses of a reporter.

Oh well.

If deuce carries the ball 25 times a game he would lead the league in carries, and yes that's too many for someone coming off his injury.

Has it crossed your mind that maybe he looks as good as he does because of the snap count Payton has on him? If he carried the ball 25 times a game, would he be as fresh as he is?

BTW, the year Deuce had the most carries per game average was in 2003 and he only averaged 21 carries a game. 20-25 carries a game is crazy coming off major knee surgery!

Turnovers has cost the saints the games we've lost, stop blaming the coach for the majority of the screw ups on the field, his 2 bad calls cannot Equal to all the Turnovers and penalties (Thats out of his control once players are on the field), all you can do pretty much his hope the execute a play without the TO's and Penalties, There's only one game where Saints was just outplayed and thats Ravens at home and i think thats just Rookies coming out of being lazy and still having that Rested state of mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom