Deuce does nothing but gain yards........WHY is he on the sidelines ?? (1 Viewer)

N.O.Badboy

DubyaDubyaWeLuvya BuddyD!
Reaction score
I like Payton's game plan for the most part. However, I think when Deuce is pounding the ball and making yardage, they need to stick with him !!! Mix Bush in of course but give the majority of the play to Deuce when he is gaining yardage !

Its obvious they are approaching his injury with caution in order to keep him healthy in the long run.

Its not like it matters. Our O is sustaining drives and putting serious points up and doing it using deuce only 50% of what we are used to.

Its the TO's that are killing us. All this "why not use deuce" "wheres devery at" posts have points but in the long run the fact is our O is producing at a very high level. We stop turning the ball over and we'll be fine.

this has been discussed in depth...deuce blew his knee out last year....his knee cannot handle 25-30 carries a game....let's not over do it so we can have him for the playoffs

Every time he's not in, I think the same thing, and then I have to keep saying to myself...knee....knee....knee.....

I am torn between the easy cop-out answer that our coach falls in love with his own exciting offense, and the hard one that he'd love to put in the steady Deuce more than Reggie for the between-the-tackles work, but he knows he has to spot him in for the rest of the year and is a smart enough poker player to take the heat himself for these kinds of questions rather than tip his hand about Deuce's overall status right now.

Red knew you never revealed anything about injuries because you don't want them to know if you're hurting, and if you're hurting and they do beat you, you want them overconfident next time. Red knew everything.

Its obvious they are approaching his injury with caution in order to keep him healthy in the long run.

Its not like it matters. Our O is sustaining drives and putting serious points up and doing it using deuce only 50% of what we are used to.

Its the TO's that are killing us. All this "why not use deuce" "wheres devery at" posts have points but in the long run the fact is our O is producing at a very high level. We stop turning the ball over and we'll be fine.

The turnovers are killing us yes.

But factoring in a little more Deuce is a philosophical thing. When you get pass happy and go for the big play on almost every down, as we seemed to be doing in the 3rd Qtr with those empty backfield sets, you lengthen the game and put the ball back in your opponents hands more often. More chances for them to do things.

You also keep your defense on the field longer and get them tired, which happned to us Sunday. We don't have the kind of D who is going to carry us. If we were completely healthy, they are maybe slightly better than average.

But if you work in more run plays and stay focused on using Deuce to keep the chains moving, you hold the ball, rest the defense and keep the other offense off the field.

If you've got the personnel to execute it, which we do, that doesn't do anything but keep you in games provided that you protect the ball. Doesn't prevent you from going vertical at the appropriate times either.

You'll probably put up less impressive statistics, but you will almost always be in the game in the 4th quarter, rather than rallying from 14 points.

The only knock on Payton I read was that he is prone to get pass happy and forget the run like he did in the 3rd quarter, so I'm not sure if he is protecting Deuce's knee or just keeping to his natural tendencies.

Last edited:
Keeping him helathy and fresh for the playoff run. Payton has a schedule for getting wins and achieving the playoff goal. Once in the playoffs I think you'll see a heavier dose of Deuce.

The turnovers are killing us yes.

But getting factoring in a little more Deuce is a philosophical thing. When you get pass happy and goo for the big play on almost every down, as we seemed to be doing in the 3rd Qtr with those empty backfield sets, you lengthen the game and put the ball back in your opponents hands more often. More cjhances for them to do things.

You also keep your defense on the field longer and get them tired, which happned to us Sunday. We don't have the kind of D who is going to carry us. If we were completely healthy, they are maybe slightly better than average.

But if you work in more run plays and stay focused on using Deuce to keep the chains moving, you hold the ball, rest the defense and keep the other offense off the field.

If you've got the personnel to execute it, which we do, that doesn't do anything but keep you in games provided that you protect the ball. Doesn't prevent you from going vertical at the appropriate times either.

You'll probably put up less impressive statistics, but you will almost always be in the game in the 4th quarter, rather than rallying from 14 points.

The only knock on Payton I read was that he is prone to get pass happy and forget the run like he did in the 3rd quarter, so I'm not sure if he is protecting Deuce's knee or just keeping to his natural tendencies.

I thought the same thing until I woke up this morning and looked at the drive chart. Whether we threw it or ran it, we made first downs, a ton of them, and always gave the D some plays off, other than when we fumbled. It's not keeping the clock moving, it's keeping the ball for a number of plays in a row, that gives your D a rest. And Bush ran fine, but for the one fumble; it was his physically strongest performance all year.

While my reflex would be to agree, the money play was to keep throwing yesterday, given the injuries to their secondary and their inability to stop us through the air. I suspect that absent that idiot penalty from Evans, we move in with a 12-play drive and go up 31-17, and the tenor of that game changes drastically from then on. A 12-play drive is a 12-play drive any way you look at it.

Me and a buddy had the exact same discussion. For the life of both of us, we could not understand why Deuce wasn't getting the bulk of the work in the third QTR. It may be the injury, but he certainly doesn't look hurt when he is pounding away for 4 yrds a clip...

Perhaps as the season progresses and into next year, the playcalling will be geared more into Deuce getting 20 touches a game and Reggie being used more in split back, going into motion...

I thought the same thing until I woke up this morning and looked at the drive chart. Whether we threw it or ran it, we made first downs, a ton of them, and always gave the D some plays off, other than when we fumbled. It's not keeping the clock moving, it's keeping the ball for a number of plays in a row, that gives your D a rest. And Bush ran fine, but for the one fumble; it was his physically strongest performance all year.

While my reflex would be to agree, the money play was to keep throwing yesterday, given the injuries to their secondary and their inability to stop us through the air. I suspect that absent that idiot penalty from Evans, we move in with a 12-play drive and go up 31-17, and the tenor of that game changes drastically from then on. A 12-play drive is a 12-play drive any way you look at it.

I just hope it was that he was taking what the defense was giving.

Over the course of a whole season I'm leery of throwing 40-50 times a game. I guess I'm closer to Woody Hayes in believeing that this will catch up to you and bite you in the butt over the course of the season.

Last edited:
he may looked good running the ball on sunday but I bet you that if he received 20+ carries.. he would have felt it today.. and if it continues week after week... it will eventually worsen and by the end of the season and playoff time... he could be out for a long period of time..

20+ carries for deuce is a no no at the moment...

Deuce does nothing but gain yards........WHY is he on the sidelines ??

BECAUSE HE'S NOT 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting so tired of these uninformed posts..............................Geeeezzzz!

I think that Reggie and Deuce should be in the game the entire time together, featuring Deuce as the running back

Or maybe they could do every other series, and on the goal line you can put both of them in the backfield, and then the defense will have to defend against the dive and the sweep.

Me and a buddy had the exact same discussion. For the life of both of us, we could not understand why Deuce wasn't getting the bulk of the work in the third QTR. It may be the injury, but he certainly doesn't look hurt when he is pounding away for 4 yrds a clip...

Perhaps as the season progresses and into next year, the playcalling will be geared more into Deuce getting 20 touches a game and Reggie being used more in split back, going into motion...

Deuce isn't "injured" per say. I think payton is just being cautious. I think theres no doubt he could go out there and pound the ball for us, but payton sees that the pass is sustaining drives and sees fit to rest deuce instead. Every extra play he doesn't play in goes that much further to him being 100% by jan.

FYI, Deuce's last full year healthy in 2004 he averages 16.8 carries a game.

This year he's averaging 14 carries a game.

There ya go, get over it!!!! He's only getting 2 less carries this year. Yeah, that changes the outcome completely. Go do some homework!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom