Deuce, Joe and Brees - our best 3 ever... (1 Viewer)

TPS

Reaction score
Whatever remaining Saints all-time records Joe and Deuce don't own yet, they will.

Drew is now second all time in winning percentage for Saints QB's @ 10 or more games and tied with Blake at 7-4 in games started (Blake didn't finish #11). Drew may not make the all time team records (total passing yards, most touchdowns ever, etc.) but he'll get dozens of game and seasonal Saints records. (fwiw, he's on pace for 5,000 yards passing in 2006 :worthy: )

TPSotrue [tm]

Last edited:
Really good point.

Best ever Saints WR, RB, and QB, on one team. And that's not even discussing Colston or Bush.

Offense is going to rock

>>Best ever Saints WR, RB, and QB, on one team. And that's not even discussing Colston or Bush.

True. And considering Mike Karney is legitimately as good as any Fullback we've had since Hokie Gajan broke his leg, I think we've got either our best ever offensive package or maybe 2nd to 1979 depending on how the numbers look after the Carolina game. Henry Childs was a better TE than anything we've got there, so obviously we have room for improvement at the TE position. Maybe a mid-rounder next year. :shrug:

TPS

Drew Brees is the best QB the Saints have ever had. He's better than Manning, and better than Hebert, hands down. He can throw it short, and he can throw it loooooonnnnnnggggg, with accuracy that I haven't seen in a long time. He is simply the best there is!! ;)

Really good point.

Best ever Saints WR, RB, and QB, on one team. And that's not even discussing Colston or Bush.

Offense is going to rock

For a long, long, long time to come!

Which is amazing OKF because to me, Dan Marino was the best quarterback I ever watched (maybe up to Peyton though the jury is still out on him). I know so much of his yards had to do with his rocket-quick release and pocket presence and that he never got to the so-called "big dance", but Marino just did things in a way no one else could do IMHO.

TPS

Which is amazing OKF because to me, Dan Marino was the best quarterback I ever watched (maybe up to Peyton though the jury is still out on him). I know so much of his yards had to do with his rocket-quick release and pocket presence and that he never got to the so-called "big dance", but Marino just did things in a way no one else could do IMHO.

TPS

...True story... Marino is the best QB that ever was, regardless of championships or lack thereof. I'm tickled that our #9 has joined his ranks.

Well -- we shall see -- personally I still think the Manning -- Wes Chandler and Chuck Muncie year was pretty close if not better -- All threee went to the Pro Bowl that year --- as well as Henry Childs

>>Well -- we shall see -- personally I still think the Manning -- Wes Chandler and Chuck Muncie year was pretty close if not better -- All threee went to the Pro Bowl that year --- as well as Henry Childs

All those players did make it to the pro bowl that year (and I think Tommy Myers did as well). But look at the stats from 1979 (see breakdown below) Galbreath was in the mix as well:

Full season 1979: 370
2006 11 games: 276
Projected 16: 401.45

Passing:

1979 - 257-428 for 3,291 Yards, 16 TD's, 22 INTs (60% completion %)

2006 (11 games) - 275-413 for 3,463 Yards, 19 TD's, 11 INT's (66.6% completion %)

2006 (16 games proj.) 400-700 for 4,787 Yards, 28TD's, 16 INT's

Score Brees who has already exceeded Manning 1979 in 11/16ths of a season.

Rushing:

1997 - 551 for 2,474 yards, 4.5 YPR, 28 TD's

2006 (11) - 301 for 1,044 yards, 3.5 YPR, 10 TD's

2006 (16) - 438 for 1,519 yards, 3.5 YPR, 14.5 TD's

Score one for our running tandem of Galbreath/Muncie. But who would trade Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush in 2006 for Galbreath and Muncie? Not many. FWIW, I found Tony's stats circa 1979 (189 rushes, 708 yards, 9 TD's, 58 receptions, 484 yards, 1 TD) and Chuck's (238 rushes, 1,198 yards, 11 TD's; 40 receptions, 308 yards, 0 TD's).

Score the stats to Muncie-Galbreath but the modern game where you can't exactly play all jacked up to Deuce-Reggie.

As for Wes Chandler vs. Joe Horn, I don't see where there's even a debate. A slim argument can and has been made by some posters that Eric Martin was the best ever WR for the Saints because of the era he played in, but I think it's no contest as the statistics and records almost all favor Joe Horn.

1979 (Wes) - 65 Receptions, 1,069 Yards, 6 TD's.
1978 (Wes) - 35 Receptions, 472 Yards, 0 TD's.
1980 (Wes) - 65 Receptions, 975 Yards, 6 TD's.
1981 (Wes) - 17 Receptions, 285 Yards, 1 TD.

Excluding his final year where he only played 4 games, in San Diego, Wes racked up the following stats from 1981 (8 games in San Diego) through 1987:

373 for 6,130 yards and 43 TD's.

Joe Horn (2000 - 2006):

522 for 7,604 Yards and 50 TD's. The only thing Chandler has on Joe is a slight advantage of a yard or two per reception.

Edge - Joe Horn (FWIW, Chandler, who played with Charlie Joiner and others in the Dan Fouts era, only exceeded 60 catches in 1 season with San Diego. His highest season yards total was 1,199, and he only got > 1,000 yards one other season).

As for Henry Childs, I said best "3" ever. We don't have anyone on our team who can work it from the TE position as Childs did in 1979 catching 51 passes for 846 yards and 5 TD's. Our TE's aren't that great and are definitely an area where the team needs to upgrade if we plan to utilize them as a receiving threat. Apparently (for 2006), Brees is comfortable enough with Karney as a final option.

Oh yeah - Saints 1979, 8-8; Saints 2006, 7-4. :hihi:

TheProofisintheStats

Last edited:
DREW, Joe, Colston. O-Line lets give it up to them. Because it wasn't for them none of this would be happing. Young and getting better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom