Deuce vows to be back in '08 (merged) (1 Viewer)

muzzy

Explosive
Reaction score
In an interview with Eyewitness Sports’ Juan Kincaid, McAllister said that he is currently rehabbing his knee in Alabama under the scrutiny of Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery.

McAllister says he works out from about 9 a.m. until 4:30, five days a week and that his knee is responding well, with no swelling.

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/stories/wwl011808tpinjuries.34cd12f0.html

We're pulling for ya, Deuce!!

If anyone can make a full recovery, it's Deuce. Great heart, great mind!

Duece is such an instrumental player for us. While Stecker and Thomas filled in great for him, we need him back. I would like to see his action limited in TC, to allow Stecker and Thomas the time to show the staff how they have improved in the offseason. We already know what Duece is capable of, so why risk an injury again? He would cost too much to cut and his trade value isn't high, so do the right thing and do what it takes to prolong his career, not shorten it.

I'd love to see Duece's career prolonged and limit his carries to 8-10 per game, so he can be with us throughout the entire year. Have the coaching staff gameplan with this in mind, so if he can't cut it, the playbook isn't shortened due his loss. Nothing wrong with giving him a few carries (2-3) in the first half, let Stecker and Thomas work the defenses down and then bring him in during the fourth quarter to strut his stuff. If we have the game in hand, you play Stecker and Thomas and let Duece rest. We can't think of the season as being only 16 games anymore...we're a better team than that. We have to prepare for 19 games and have our players ready both physically and mentally for such.

I'm behind Duece 100% and he has shown that determination to succeed is the key to it all.

Duece is such an instrumental player for us. While Stecker and Thomas filled in great for him, we need him back. I would like to see his action limited in TC, to allow Stecker and Thomas the time to show the staff how they have improved in the offseason. We already know what Duece is capable of, so why risk an injury again? He would cost too much to cut and his trade value isn't high, so do the right thing and do what it takes to prolong his career, not shorten it.

I'd love to see Duece's career prolonged and limit his carries to 8-10 per game, so he can be with us throughout the entire year. Have the coaching staff gameplan with this in mind, so if he can't cut it, the playbook isn't shortened due his loss. Nothing wrong with giving him a few carries (2-3) in the first half, let Stecker and Thomas work the defenses down and then bring him in during the fourth quarter to strut his stuff. If we have the game in hand, you play Stecker and Thomas and let Duece rest. We can't think of the season as being only 16 games anymore...we're a better team than that. We have to prepare for 19 games and have our players ready both physically and mentally for such.

I'm behind Duece 100% and he has shown that determination to succeed is the key to it all.

:goodpost: I couldn't agree more. This is very good news indeed.

You know, the expectation that Deuce will come back and be productive reminds me of a scene from the movie "Little Big League." In the scene, 12-year-old Bill Heywood, who has both inherited the Minnesota Twins and become the team's manager, is being advised to get rid of a player who just so happens to be his all-time favorite. The player who was once great just is not performing like he use to during his prime. So, during one game, the player hits a single. Billy jumps up and down in excitement over the single and tells his advisor, "see, I told you, I told you he still had it (not verbatim)." And his advisor turns to him and says, "kid, you use to get excited over home-runs. Now you're getting excited over base hits (again, not verbatim). The advisor's point was that it is time to part ways as much as it hurts with Billy's favorite player.

I say that the situation with Deuce reminds me of the same because there are individuals--not necessarily anyone in this thread--who are banking on Deuce coming back and being as strong as ever. The problem with that presumption is that it is more likely that Deuce will not be able to regain his old form, particularly coming off now a second major knee surgery. There are more cases of guys not being able to do it than there are cases of guys like Frank Gore and Terry Allen doing it. The thing to focus on is Deuce's play prior to the injury. Deuce seemed slower last season even prior to the injury. Granted, the blocking by the offensive line left a lot to be desired for almost 3/4s of the season. But Deuce just seemed to get old on the field very fast. It's encouraging to know that Deuce was able to bounce back strong after the first major knee surgery and have a productive season. However, he's now two years older and is coming off yet another knee surgery. The WORST thing that could happen is seeing Deuce plow for about 4 or 5 yards and hearing some people say, "see, I told you he still have it."

I am truly hoping the best for Deuce. He's been a solid player and is a quality person, which I think is even more important than his play and production on the field. Still, I cannot help but to think that we may have seen the best of Deuce and that the time to part with him is coming. I do not think you just jettison him off. That would be wrong and you want to be as classy as possible when dealing with a classy guy. I think you give Deuce every opportunity to attempt his comeback. But if he does not show that he can do it, then it might be right for us to move in another direction as we move forward with the team.

Somewhere there is a SR.com member who knows exactly what I mean when I say "I told ya so." :D

/mississippihomer

Hmm, no mention if Reggie Bush. Are we trading him this time despite cap ramifications or moving him to WR despite the fact that other similarly-sized RBs have shown production in year 3?

Deuce is the freakin man... I hope he can drop a few pounds... get some weight off those knes. I'm still prayin for ya Deuce keep on fightin...

DOOOOCE is the heart of this team. I very much hope he can get healthy enough and stay healthy.

Wouldn't that be an awfully expensive player for just a handful of plays per game? 2 severely injured knees and countless ankle problems in his 6 yrs has probably taken a huge toll on Deuce's effectiveness as a RB. I think his best days are way behind him. Maybe he should start to think about the next phase of his life without football? I know that he would be missed greatly, but the end is on the horizon IMO.

I love Deuce, but I'm ready to move on Cap willing. I think we're more than alright with Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush and Aaron Stecker (or someone who can take Stecker's place). Deuce was fast as a rookie, now he's smart and tough. But it's time to move in IMHO. To this point he'll always be the best RB we had (admittedly not saying much), but it's a business...let's free up some money and win some championships.

Deuce has the will and determination to return to the team and be very productive. It has more to do with 'want to' than 'able to'. Didn't Fred Taylor from Jax have multiple acl injuries? He did pretty well this year.

Yes, but Deuce has progressively lost his speed. Not all ACL injuries, nor people with ACL injuries are the same. I'm not saying he can't come back and be great, but if I had to put money against it I would.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom