Deuce's health (1 Viewer)

Puntz

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Deuce is a good bit from 100%? Last few weeks you see numerous posts asking why we aren't pounding the rock with Deuce. I really find it hard to believe that this has never occured to Payton. At the game today I made a point to watch Deuce for any sign of him favoring his leg, and numerous time it appeared he was, and was trying to not make it obvious. This would explain why reggie got more carries, and why they would play action then dump the short pass to Deuce rather than having him try to mash through the line.

The innuendo you hear on the radio all week re: his leg is contributing to this speculation. I think they are limiting his carries to avoid further injury. I just can't grasp Payton choosing not to use a healthy deuce, so this seems like a justifiable reason not to use him.

of course i might be wrong and the coaching staff are purposely not using him, just thought i would throw this out there

Well said Puntz. Duece always seems to be a step or ankle tackle away from making large gains. On the 1 yd stuff when we needed to score, he ran straight up and didn't seem like he could bend and explode off that knee. I though for sure they would have put Reggie in if for nothing else but to jump the pile for a 1st down.

Might be the hamstring thing from a couple of weeks ago!

I hate to say this but I hope it is the injuries and no the poor dcisions by the coaches. If he is health and not being used, we will be witnessing the decostruction of Deuce in a aints uniform. And that would be a terrible thing...

Bobby said on the Point After that he thinks Deuce needs his knee cleaned up badly and Payton is trying to keep him somewhat healthy for the rest of the season but can't rely on him for more carries than he had today. A caller said they'd rather Payton try to push Deuce until he gets injured too badly to play. Brilliant idea.... (sarcasm)

There's been talk about his knee swelling up for the last 5 or so weeks. If we gave him too much of the load, he probably wouldn't last through the season. I doubt it's anything to worry about (longterm); he probably just needs to get the knee cleaned up this offseason. Remember, this injury usually takes 2 seasons to totally come back from.

On the bright side, Reggie gets more valuable experience.

I'm calling BS. Deuce is fine, Payton just refuses to run the ball. The only game that Deuce has broken 20 carries is the first game of the season. Look back at the preseason numbers and it is the same thing, all pass no run.

Everyone says run but there are not holes to run through consistently and I feel the staff doesn't want to set up either one of our exceptional RBs for an injury by running into a wall every play.

All the criticism in regards to Bush is short-sighted, because no matter how much he has to learn that doesn't account for no big plays in the running game-with the speed he has if there were obvious holes like the ones that make the sportscenter highlights he would have broken a few by now.

Bush has to learn and he will but we are kidding ourselves if we think this line is adequate in run-blocking.

My thinking is that he's not ready for 20-25 carries just yet. Bobby Hebert made the point that the Saints are thinking long-term with Deuce for now. They don't want to put any more pressure on that knee than thy need to.

I'll settle for Deuce carrying the ball 10-15 times a game if that means he'll be the 20-25 carry back next year...

But remember... this is an ex QB that we have as a coach... and we have an excellent QB at the helm.. I just think Payton is in attack mode from the first whistle, and if that means throwing it 40-50 times a game, then that's what he'll do.

Everyone says run but there are not holes to run through consistently and I feel the staff doesn't want to set up either one of our exceptional RBs for an injury by running into a wall every play.

All the criticism in regards to Bush is short-sighted, because no matter how much he has to learn that doesn't account for no big plays in the running game-with the speed he has if there were obvious holes like the ones that make the sportscenter highlights he would have broken a few by now.

Bush has to learn and he will but we are kidding ourselves if we think this line is adequate in run-blocking.

I agree. We really need to add one or two maulers to the OL this coming offseason. The line has been exellent in pass blocking, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with defenses respecting Bush and Brees avoiding the rush and making quick decisions.

Today I think we average 4ypc. That's pretty good. Also, if we are limiting duece and deciding when to run him hard, we're doing a bad job of it. If we're saving him, then use him in the red zone and rest him between the 20s.

deuce cant carry a full load because of his knee but brees can throw the ball 50 times a game with his arm? cmon now:)

It seems like Patyon would say something to the media if that was the case. He seems to be up front about that kind of stuff.

deuce cant carry a full load because of his knee but brees can throw the ball 50 times a game with his arm? cmon now:)

brees' arm might not be hurting him, where deuce might be in pain. i realize i said "might" twice in that sentance...

i suppose if you feel Deuce is 100%, then you, and most of the board, are really calling out Payton for conciously not utilizing him. I tend to think, at this point anyhow, that Payton is smart enough to understand the benifit of a healthy #26. If he isn't, then we have some serious issues i don't even want to deal with today...

It seems like Patyon would say something to the media if that was the case. He seems to be up front about that kind of stuff.

i disagree, advertising that our stud RB is only good for 10-15 caries at best would serve no advantage. If he couldn't dress for the game, sure he would have to comment, but if he is in the game, the extent of his injuries would be on a need to know basis

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom