Devery will visit Bucs... [MERGED] (2 Viewers)

Moss dropped 9 of the 159 passes thrown to him last year. Owens dropped 10 of the 141 balls thrown to him. Henderson dropped 10 of the 42 targets he had in '07. That's a 23.8% drop rate, compared to a 5.7% drop rate for Moss, and a 7.1% drop rate for T.O. To put it another way, Devery would have dropped nearly 40 passes (more than 2 balls a game!) last year had he had the same number of targets as Moss.

well that is a bit precosious. I think if he had as many attempts as those two that the drop rate would have decreased. It's not illogical to think that as he got more and more accustomed to being the intended receiver that he'd also become more proficient. Also, I think it makes sense that he might have felt pressure to get better at that part of his game (securing the catch) and that by having less opportunities- that pressure was compounded. PLUS, we used him in a possession role much of the time which isn't exactly his best role. He seems to make the tough catch way down field and then drop the short, in-your-face catch on the quick routes. It's not like there's no evidence that this coaching staff tries to SOMETIMES have a player take on a role he's not best suited for.

He went through a stretch last year where he caught everything. I for one believe his problem is fixable. Then, he truly would be a weapon. It's probably best for him and the Saints that he moves on. I wish the Saints could sign Bryant Johnson.

well that is a bit precosious. I think if he had as many attempts as those two that the drop rate would have decreased. It's not illogical to think that as he got more and more accustomed to being the intended receiver that he'd also become more proficient. Also, I think it makes sense that he might have felt pressure to get better at that part of his game (securing the catch) and that by having less opportunities- that pressure was compounded. PLUS, we used him in a possession role much of the time which isn't exactly his best role. He seems to make the tough catch way down field and then drop the short, in-your-face catch on the quick routes. It's not like there's no evidence that this coaching staff tries to SOMETIMES have a player take on a role he's not best suited for.

Not really sure what "precosious" means -- I assume you were trying to spell precocious, but really meant presumptuous? :shrug: Doesn't really matter...

You can couch it any way you choose, but the fact is, any WR who drops that many passes in so few chances will never get the opportunity to have 100+ balls thrown his way. I will say this - I really do admire your (and the other Devery defenders) tenacity in continually sticking up for him; it's got to be a tough battle...

No offense. But your logic is just as bad as his. Devery had plenty of chances to perform. And it can be argued that he got worse last year. That's not what you do in a contract year if you are a servicable wideout. Devery isn't good. He isnt dependable. And he needs to walk.

No offense taken... I never pointed out that his logic was bad. his logic is fine but it isn't an automatic corrolation. What both he and I said make sense. To say "Devery isn't good. He isn't dependable. And he needs to walk" as if it's a fact when it's actually your opinion isn't logic. It's your opinion-- to which you are entitled.

But I don't necessarily agree. Maybe a change of scenery will be better for him. But he's far from being as bad as some try to potray him as being.

Last edited:
No offense. But your logic is just as bad as his. Devery had plenty of chances to perform. And it can be argued that he got worse last year. That's not what you do in a contract year if you are a servicable wideout. Devery isn't good. He isnt dependable. And he needs to walk.

It's called simple "extrapolation of existing data", and really had nothing to do with logic. I was only doing so to show how tremendously poor his drop rate was relative to the other 2 WRs mentioned. Of course one can assume, given a greater opportunity, Henderson would have improved his proficiency, but obviously we'll never know. When a WR drops 1 of every 4 balls thrown his way, head coaches tend to not want to play him much...

Other than that, I agree with all you said.

Everyone - it's only a visit. He hasn't signed a contract yet.

Last edited:
It's called simple "extrapolation of existing data", and really had nothing to do with logic. I was only doing so to show how tremendously poor his drop rate was relative to the other 2 WRs mentioned. Of course one can assume, given a greater opportunity, Henderson would have improved his proficiency, but obviously we'll never know. When a WR drops 1 of every 4 balls thrown his way, head coaches tend to not want to play him much...

I tend to agree with your "40 drops" theory...and the only questioning of logic I was really doing was his. I was just arguing that him saying Devery would improve because of more more attempts is the same thing as you saying he's stay the same.

As far as being offended...stop being so sensitive.

we might never no at least as a Saints player that is. I'll give up hope on him once it's a done deal. And if he plays in our conference he'll get the same from me as Joe did: fail and fail miserably.

If he stays I hope he turns the corner and lives up to his tremendous potential.

we might never no at least as a Saints player that is. I'll give up hope on him once it's a done deal. And if he plays in our conference he'll get the same from me as Joe did: fail and fail miserably.

If he stays I hope he turns the corner and lives up to his tremendous potential.

agreed

back this up with a link to confirm what you are saying is true.

Did you really need a link? Have you watched any Saints games......? The criticism he gets was earned over the past 4 years!

I tend to agree with your "40 drops" theory...and the only questioning of logic I was really doing was his. I was just arguing that him saying Devery would improve because of more more attempts is the same thing as you saying he's stay the same.

As far as being offended...stop being so sensitive.

Here we go again... did you read what I wrote? I wrote: I think if he had as many attempts as those two that the drop rate would have decreased. It's not illogical to think that as he got more and more accustomed to being the intended receiver that he'd also become more proficient.

Things I THINK-- not things that I present as being fact.

You wrote: Devery isn't good. He isnt dependable. And he needs to walk.

As far as offense goes... you have your perceptions and they are yours to keep.

I'm not trying to be "so sensitive". the constant assault on one's sensibilities from statements such as your's listed make it hard to be "insensitive".

Many of his drops killed our ablilty to sustain drives. It's tough enough to hit a receiver in his hands perfectly to begin with, then when they (devery) drop the pass on a third down, that's when people get fed up with him. And yes, i realize he led the league in yards per catch, but we need someone a bit more reliable. He had four years to improve, it's too late. Good luck devery...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom