Devine Ozigbo sleeper overview ( a closer look) (1 Viewer)

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Here are a couple of interesting articles about Ozigbo that quietly were posted by DaninLafayette and Andrus about Ozigbo that I think merit more attention.

Saints UDFA Devine Ozigbo is a bruiser between the tackles

Devine Ozigbo could be the next big-time Saints undrafted RB

Ozigbo also ran a 4.54 at 225lbs with a 37" vertical.

He also is extremely tough to bring down and comes with soft hands for a guy his size similar to Kareem Hunt who also had a high broken tackle % coming out of Toledo.

Check out how slippery he is and his aforementioned receiving skills.

Wearing that #22, looks like Ingram out there. He definitely has an unwillingness to go down, and great situational awareness. Knowing where the sticks are, near the goal line, etc. Sets up his blocks well. Decent speed in open space, also. I wonder how good he is at picking up pressure in pass protect.

Hope he can stick around.

I will wait till training camp and preseason games. Every year we all get sort of excited and "hopeful" that these guys turn out to be a great players that we got from a few phone calls after the draft. As of now I am not all crazy about any one rookie player until I see them do well in games. I am more interested in Keith Kirkwood and Tre quan Smith. I already know what these two players are capable of just from their games last season. Can they improve? It is difficult for any of these rookie undrafted to make a name. Their time to show what they got are small and limited.

I remember getting pumped up about guys like PJ Hill & Lynell Hamilton. Ozigbo is starting to remind me of a taller Darius Victor. I really don't see anything special here.
The other prospect who appears to be exciting is Holland.

Not too exciting, considering he has already been cut. Holland hit the road when the Saints signed Ouellette after rookie minicamp.

Can’t really say who is what and what is what until we see these guys playing full-go with pads against other prospective NFL talent.
Wilmont Perry and Lynell Hamilton both probably looked better than Pierre Thomas in shorts and shells.

Last edited:
Not too exciting, considering he has already been cut. Holland hit the road when the Saints signed Ouellette after rookie minicamp.

Can’t really say who is what and what is what until we see these guys playing full-go with pads against other prospective NFL talent.
Wilmont Perry and Lynell Hamilton both probably looked better than Pierre Thomas in shorts and shells.
I didn't realize Holland was cut. He was one of the few prospects I was looking forward to watching this year in camp. With that being said I guess nothing surprises me anymore around this time of year.

Powerbacks do not look impressive in shells (in my opinion). Wilmont Perry looked awesome with pads on, but the rumor with him was that he wasn't smart. Considering who our coach was at the time, it would be hard to believe anything that he mentioned.

I don’t think it’s a good sign that the Saints brought Buck Allen, Rob Kelley, and Fozzy Bear in... if they felt good about the RB room, they’d let it be like the WR room

Agreed. The very moment we signed Ozigbo as an UDFA, I feltlike he was gonna make the team. But the addition of all those RBs, Buck Allen in particular, clearly puts every RB, save for AK or Murray, chances of making the roster in serious doubt. That battle for the RB3 spot just got crazy. In my opinion, even though Murray is a better RB on paper, Buck Allen is arguably a better fit and could be capable of pushing for the RB2. I liked Ozigbo at NEB, and I loved that we landed him after the draft, but I'm a realist. Buck Allen, and even Robert Kelley(when healthy), are better and more proven players than Ozigbo and Oullette. Still rooting for both those dudes, though.

Agreed. The very moment we signed Ozigbo as an UDFA, I feltlike he was gonna make the team. But the addition of all those RBs, Buck Allen in particular, clearly puts every RB, save for AK or Murray, chances of making the roster in serious doubt. That battle for the RB3 spot just got crazy. In my opinion, even though Murray is a better RB on paper, Buck Allen is arguably a better fit and could be capable of pushing for the RB2. I liked Ozigbo at NEB, and I loved that we landed him after the draft, but I'm a realist. Buck Allen, and even Robert Kelley(when healthy), are better and more proven players than Ozigbo and Oullette. Still rooting for both those dudes, though.

Buck Allen had a solid year 2 seasons ago, but last year he fell off a cliff. He got totally phased out in Baltimore by Gus Edwards and Dixon. He also had some damning issues with pass-pro that assisted in his demise with the Ravens. He’s still fairly young, and is a good player... but he’s not really good in any phase of the game. He lacks explosion and was ultimately benched after giving up 3 pressures in Flacco’s last start.

Fat Rob is nothing special, and I’d even if he is signed after his workout/tryout, I’d still put him behind Washington as far as his chances go.

I don’t think it’s a good sign that the Saints brought Buck Allen, Rob Kelley, and Fozzy Bear in... if they felt good about the RB room, they’d let it be like the WR room

They will all wash out in camp...Ozigbo is still a prospect with the eye on the future, the Saints are just kicking the tires on those backs recently brought in.

They will all wash out in camp...Ozigbo is still a prospect with the eye on the future, the Saints are just kicking the tires on those backs recently brought in.

You could very well be correct, but it remains to be seen. Ozigbo appears to be a tough runner, but it looks like he handled the lion’s share of his carries (highlight carries) out of a shotgun formation. It’ll be interesting to see him run more traditional RB sets

Some said he wasn't patient on his runs. He looked pretty patient and waited for something to develop before making a cut and going during some of his runs!

I'd concur with this assessment, at least from the runs featured on the video. He doesn't look like he has a ton of wiggle, but he ran with a good forward lean to finish his runs, didn't shy from contact, and showed excellent patience in waiting for his blocking to develop. I'd say he didn't particularly look explosive, but the long run against Purdue did show his ability to cut without losing acceleration. Ingram had trouble running patiently his first few years in the NFL - often running into closed holes and blockers as a result - but if Ozigbo can be as aware of the blocking assignments and understand where and when the holes develop as he shows on the tape here, he has a chance to contribute. My big concern: in the NFL he may not have the same amount of time to pick a spot and the holes will rarely be as large as they were in college, and patience may transfer to just become indecision. How quickly he adapts will spell out if he sticks. It will be fun to watch in preseason how he measures up, assuming he gets the reps to show something. I'd think with the Saints' current RB situation the vast bulk of the snaps will go to these FAs to see who can produce.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom