DFW crawbugs (1 Viewer)

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This weekend. Tom Thumb. 0.99/lb live for a 35lb sack.

We got some from them last year and it was a definite "do again". The bugs were a good size and easy to peel. They were dirty as heck, but a little purge and water fixes that up.

dang .99/lb is a great price

still 1.59/lb in the BR area

Yeah, $.99 is really low, I wonder if they are Chinese? :shrug:

Last year the guy in the seafood dept told me they got from from somewhere in SWLA.

Thanks for the heads up !!!......been craving for it since my last trip to New Orleans. :D

>>Last year the guy in the seafood dept told me they got from from somewhere in SWLA.

No doubt some port of entry for Chinese crustasians. BigChinGuy boiled up some Belle River crawfish this past weekend. They were excellent. The Belle River crawfish are pretty much about the best you're going to get. :17:

TPS

i helped boil 24 sacks of bugs on saturday at the Louisiana crawfish cookoff on the wessbank, brah.....my cousin's husband sponsors a booth and asked me to help this year......there were about 50 booths......good times:9:

The Belle River crawfish are pretty much about the best you're going to get. :17:

TPS

Can't argue with this. Growing up, my parents always bought from places that only sold them from Belle River.

i helped boil 24 sacks of bugs on saturday at the Louisiana crawfish cookoff on the wessbank, brah.....my cousin's husband sponsors a booth and asked me to help this year......there were about 50 booths......good times:9:

Nice.. I put down quite a few pounds this Saturday as well. We had 7 sacks at my cousin's house.

.99 is cheaper than Im payin to the fisherman as a retailer in Kenner, thats a great price for LA crawfish. One possibility is that they are coming from the ponds they started a couple years ago in eastern Texas. They get grants from the Texas state government to start farming them and can afford to let em go a little cheaper. Its a good product from what I hear

Also most people that sell Belle River crawfish don't have crawfish from Belle River, most of it is just Basin or deep water crawfish. The only difference is if you don't purge em the areas they come from can leave different flavors depending on the water but size and look are identical. Ive been getting alot of deep water crawfish but the true Belle Rivers havent really picked up yet from my fisherman. The river being so high is pushing back that part of the season a little bit. Actually had my first Belle River fisherman come in Friday.

Yeah, $.99 is really low, I wonder if they are Chinese? :shrug:
You think a sack of crawfish could last a trip in a boat from China...doubtful.

The high water will cause a late season for the basin crawfish and it will be better than last years.

You think a sack of crawfish could last a trip in a boat from China...doubtful.

Well, after searching around, I realize that they only import frozen meat from China. I guess I thought they had some kind of specialized barge or something. :idunno:

They come from a guy who started the Cajun Crawfish Company. I believe I read an article about it in the business section of the newspaper. He came to DFW and started the company for $10,000 a couple of years ago and now he's a millionare.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom