DFW guys: Is there ANYWHERE around here to get decent po-boy bread? (1 Viewer)

perret318

Runnin like a road lizard
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ugh, this is one of the top things I hate about living away from NOLA. I can make a pot of red beans and rice, I can whip up a pot of gumbo or some shrimp creole in my own kitchen. I've even found Zummo's boudin at a local Albertsons. But I can't find good po-boy bread anywhere!

I've given up trying to find actual Leidenheimers/Reisings bread (though if you know where to get it, please tell me!), so I'm willing to settle for something close to that.

Little help?

I use the french baquettes (thin size) for my po - boys. If its not crispy enough I pop the bread in the toaster oven real quick to get the outside crispy -- thats the best I can find -- but to tell you the truth I have been a little unhappy with the recent french bread you get in new orleans po boy establishments --

Yes. Every grocery store in the city and surrounding areas. Oh wait, you're in Dallas. :shrug:

Crunch crunch crunch. :17:

TPS

Unfortunately, Desporte's Avenue Bakery in Biloxi didn't survive Katrina. They had some of the best po-boy bread on the MS Gulf Coast. Their pistolettes were awesome.

Yes. Every grocery store in the city and surrounding areas. Oh wait, you're in Dallas. :shrug:

Crunch crunch crunch. :17:

TPS

That's just mean

Man, no idea. Sometimes I get a craving and try a new place, and I have yet to find anything good. I've learned to be happy if they just don't bread their shrimp with hush puppy.

Have you tried Central Market? We usually just buy something from the Kroger bakery and toast it in the oven. Good luck.

I use the french baquettes (thin size) for my po - boys. If its not crispy enough I pop the bread in the toaster oven real quick to get the outside crispy -- thats the best I can find -- but to tell you the truth I have been a little unhappy with the recent french bread you get in new orleans po boy establishments --
I've tried that, but invariably the bread is just too doughy. I've actually tried cutting out some of the middle just to correct the fried-stuff-to-bread ratio. :smilielol:

I've tried that, but invariably the bread is just too doughy. I've actually tried cutting out some of the middle just to correct the fried-stuff-to-bread ratio. :smilielol:

not the individual servings or the larger french bread loafs -- what I am talking about is actually a long thin baguette about the circumfrence of your wrist --

http://www.pillsbury.com/products/breads/refrigerated/Crusty-French-Loaf.htm

Try this - it was surprisingly very good. We have now bought it a few times. Loafes are abit small but tasty.

I tried this last night and was pleasantly surprised! It doesn't have the exact same texture as traditional po-boy bread, but it was darn good French bread, better than I've found. I could probably just try baking it for a little longer to dry it out a bit to get that Reisings texture. In any case, it should be a tasty experiment. :)

Thanks for the tip!

If you want to experiment with that loaf bread, you can try brushing some egg wash over it before baking. That would give it a more crunchy exterior.

As for making it less dense, I'm not sure if this would work, but you could try prepping it on a cookie pan and covering it with a warm towel and see if it rises for an hour or 2 before baking. Any additional rising would make it less dense.

I tried this last night and was pleasantly surprised! It doesn't have the exact same texture as traditional po-boy bread, but it was darn good French bread, better than I've found. I could probably just try baking it for a little longer to dry it out a bit to get that Reisings texture. In any case, it should be a tasty experiment. :)

Thanks for the tip!

Glad I could help. If you come up with a way to make it even better...pass it back to us.

I found that a REAL cuban bread is a adequate substitute, but you have to do the same thing you do with all non French breads. Toast it good. It is more dense, but a light toasting helps tremedously.

Fishbone Grill on NW Hwy and Abrams
Dodie's Seafood on Greenville and Belmont
Aw Shucks on Greenville
Big Shucks on Mockingbird
Alligator Cafe on Live Oak

Fishbone Grill on NW Hwy and Abrams
Dodie's Seafood on Greenville and Belmont
Aw Shucks on Greenville
Big Shucks on Mockingbird
Alligator Cafe on Live Oak

Those places sell their poboy bread?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom