DFW Snowbirds are singing (1 Viewer)

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Below is an email update from a Houston pro-met for the snow event this evening and tonight. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for some multi-inch snows, because I've seen this go poof before. Anyway, be careful out there tonight and tomorrow. My laptop is coming home in case the roads are bad tomorrow.

Snow Advisory in effect this afternoon and tonight for DFW metro area. <o>

</o>
Heavy accumulating snows likely over N TX including DFW areas late this afternoon through tonight.

Discussion: <o>

</o>
Late season winter storm will affect N TX the next 36 hours. Arctic cold front is through most of the region this morning and high temps. for the day have already been recorded. Temps. currently in the upper 30’s and low 40’s will fall throughout the day toward freezing by this evening. Upper trough along the New Mexico border will eject across TX late tonight and Friday with moisture being brought northward into the cold air mass. Already seeing light rains developing south of Waco moving northward as isentropic upglide begins ahead of upper trough. <o></o>
<o></o>
Air column will be cold enough to support snow across the NW counties and Red River counties by early afternoon with rain mixing with snow DFW areas by mid afternoon. Rain/snow line will march southward and precip. will become all snow by early evening across the metro areas. Potential for meso scale snow bands to produce moderate to heavy snow with visibility down to ¼ to ½ of a mile at times and snowfall rates of .5 to 2” per hour under the heavy bands. <o></o>
<o></o>
For now will go with widespread 1-2” along and N of I-20 and 3-6” Red River and NW counties with less than an inch across the southern counties. Snow will be wet and heavy…very good for making snow balls with temps. hovering around 30-32 degrees. May see even greater accumulations under snow bands…and this will need very close watch this evening as 8+” would not be out of the question under such heavy snow conditions especially over the NE counties. <o></o>
<o></o>
Expect travel to become impacted by early evening as roads begin to slush over and elevated surface ice. Friday morning travel will be the worst given several hours below freezing overnight. <o></o>
<o></o>
Will probably fire off another update this afternoon or evening to fine tune totals and overall threat…things always change when dealing with winter weather.

How far south is this thing going to get?

Sweet. I hope some sticks this time. It's amazing the geographical difference between south Arlington and North Dallas. Man, this is a big city.

How far south is this thing going to get?

The Snow Advisory is only posted for Tarrant/Dallas counties on North. However, areas south to Waco could see a dusting of snow. But, and this is a big butt, some models want to dump a lot of snow on the area so this could be worse than what's been reported so far. The DFW area may go under a Winter Storm Warning later on. Roads could become treacherous.

Last edited:
I hear ya Jonesy. During our snow event Monday night, out here in Rockwall we didn't get any accumulation while areas on my drive in to Plano had 1-2 inches.

Yup. My girlfriend is in Lewisville, and she had a winter wonderland in her backyard. My house was just cold and wet.

Just talked to catch22, he is a meteorologist in Jackson for WAPT. We have a 30% chance of snow here in Jackson Saturday morning but he thinks the NWS will up that as we get closer.

He also said if the NAM model holds true then the Northern Arkansas area could get hit with a foot or more of snow including thunder snow. He said the dynamics are such where they could possibly see severe thunderstorms with hail but instead of rain in the storms it would be snowing. These are very rare.

I have a bass tournament Saturday morning. The temps are supposed to be in the 20's, winds 10-20 mph with gusts to 25 and snow showers. Should be fun. :covri:

Just talked to catch22, he is a meteorologist in Jackson for WAPT. We have a 30% chance of snow here in Jackson Saturday morning but he thinks the NWS will up that as we get closer.

He also said if the NAM model holds true then the Northern Arkansas area could get hit with a foot or more of snow including thunder snow. He said the dynamics are such where they could possibly see severe thunderstorms with hail but instead of rain in the storms it would be snowing. These are very rare.

There have been reports of thundersleet and thundersnow out near Abiline this morning. That's one weather event I would love to experience.

The Snow Advisory is only posted for Tarrant/Dallas counties on North. However, areas south to Waco could see a dusting of snow. But, and this is a big butt, some models want to dump a lot of snow on the area so this could be worse than what's been reported so far. The DFW area may go under a Winter Storm Warning later on. Roads could become treacherous.

Quoting yourself is so lame. ;)

Anyway, the Winter Storm Warning was just posted.

Be careful out there.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORT WORTH TX
1131 AM CST THU MAR 6 2008

...SNOW ADVISORY CONTINUES FOR JOHNSON...ELLIS...KAUFMAN...VAN
ZANDT...AND RAINS COUNTIES...

.AN UPPER LEVEL STORM SYSTEM MOVING OVER NORTH TEXAS TODAY AND
TONIGHT IS PROVIDING WIDESPREAD LIFT ACROSS THE REGION.
PRECIPITATION HAS ALREADY CHANGED TO SLEET AND SNOW IN WESTERN
AND CENTRAL NORTH TEXAS...AND AS COLDER AIR MOVES SOUTH AND EAST
RAIN WILL CHANGE OVER TO SNOW TODAY AND TONIGHT. ACCUMULATIONS OF
1 TO 3 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE ADVISORY AREA.

TXZ094-095-104>107-119-120-070200-
/O.UPG.KFWD.SN.Y.0002.080306T2000Z-080307T1200Z/
/O.NEW.KFWD.WS.W.0002.080306T1800Z-080307T1200Z/
FANNIN-LAMAR-COLLIN-HUNT-DELTA-HOPKINS-DALLAS-ROCKWALL-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...BONHAM...PARIS...PLANO...GREENVILLE...
COMMERCE...COOPER...SULPHUR SPRINGS...DALLAS...ROCKWALL
1131 AM CST THU MAR 6 2008

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST FRIDAY...
...SNOW ADVISORY NO LONGER IN EFFECT...

AS AN UPPER SYSTEM MOVES ACROSS NORTH TEXAS...HEAVIER SNOW BANDS
WILL CONTINUE TO DEVELOP ACROSS WESTERN NORTH TEXAS. SNOW WILL
THEN SPREAD EAST INTO THE METROPLEX THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO
NORTHEAST TEXAS THIS EVENING. SNOW TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES
ARE EXPECTED IN AN AREA RUNNING FROM EASTLAND COUNTY EASTWARD
ACROSS THE METROPLEX AND ON INTO THE SULPHUR SPRINGS AREA. NEAR
THE RED RIVER UP TO SIX INCHES ARE POSSIBLE. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF
IN THE EARLY MORNING HOURS IN THE WEST...TO NEAR SUNRISE CENTRAL
AND EAST.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL
VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

We had a snowstorm with thunder once while we lived in NJ...it was fascinating, to watch the snow falling so silently and hear the thunder.

Here in the south, we get sneaux....enjoy it, everyone! Wish we could get just a little of that down here in Houston (since I know the roads are too warm for it to stick on the streets, LOL). Kids would love to see some sneaux.

Freezing rain coming down hard and 32 degrees outside in Planabra right now.

yeah, got some sleet mixed with the rain here in my part of planabrah. May be getting close to heading home time.

yeah, got some sleet mixed with the rain here in my part of planabrah. May be getting close to heading home time.

It's snowing here big time, now. I hope you got the hell out of there.

Man, we're not getting much here yet. :mad:

It's snowing here big time, now. I hope you got the hell out of there.

I'm still at work. I just peeked outside and it looked like mostly rain. I need to head out at some point though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom