DHS Releasing Hundreds of Illegals Politically Motivated? (Fact or Fiction) (1 Viewer)

MrEMann83

Very Banned
Reaction score
Well guys, here we go again. After the Mychal Massie Fiasco this last week, I thought I would try to make my intentions a little more clear. The best way to do that is to explain a situation that happened on FB an hour ago to you.

My mom is a very far right-leaning conservative who constantly feeds into the paranoia of fear-mongering right-wing web sites like "World Net Daily", Fox News, so on and so forth.

I see these posts all day long. So, today she posted a meme with Obama's face saying "I cut 1000s of illegal immigrants to scare the right into tax increases"

Well, I asked her to provide the link. She got angry with me bc she thought I was being a smart *****. When in fact I really wasn't. I wanted the information to back it up so that I could cross reference before bringing it here to ask your take on it.

Moral of the story? No matter which side I take, people are getting angry.

SO! With that said, here is the link to the article. I am not baiting. I am not inciting. I just simply want to see your side of this issue. I don't have a position. I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't plan on debating the facts or fictions of this article. I simply want to see what you all have to say on the matter. Consider me a moderator who is also an audience. After you all are done with it I probably will have a stance.

I think I've covered everything.

DHS releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants, blaming budget cuts | Fox News

RebSaint

Lint smoker
Reaction score
Well guys, here we go again. After the Mychal Massie Fiasco this last week, I thought I would try to make my intentions a little more clear. The best way to do that is to explain a situation that happened on FB an hour ago to you.

My mom is a very far right-leaning conservative who constantly feeds into the paranoia of fear-mongering right-wing web sites like "World Net Daily", Fox News, so on and so forth.

I see these posts all day long. So, today she posted a meme with Obama's face saying "I cut 1000s of illegal immigrants to scare the right into tax increases"

Well, I asked her to provide the link. She got angry with me bc she thought I was being a smart *****. When in fact I really wasn't. I wanted the information to back it up so that I could cross reference before bringing it here to ask your take on it.

Moral of the story? No matter which side I take, people are getting angry.

SO! With that said, here is the link to the article. I am not baiting. I am not inciting. I just simply want to see your side of this issue. I don't have a position. I don't have a dog in the fight. I don't plan on debating the facts or fictions of this article. I simply want to see what you all have to say on the matter. Consider me a moderator who is also an audience. After you all are done with it I probably will have a stance.

I think I've covered everything.

DHS releasing hundreds of illegal immigrants, blaming budget cuts | Fox News
Here's a suggestion whenever you get one of these chain e-mails: check multiple news sources to vet and check the story. This one is absolutely true. Now who is to blame is, well debatable. In most cases, doing basic research and employing a little common sense can ferret out the blatant misinformation and falsehoods chain e-mails perpetuate.

DHS releasing illegal immigrants before sequester - Salon.com

DHS releasing illegal immigrants before sequestration - Associated Press - POLITICO.com

Each news agency of course is going to have its own "spin" on the matter. This story is absolutely true, but I find it quite interesting that the outrage is focused on releasing illegal immigrants under supervision coming from the right.

Don't "conservatives" want more of these kinds of cuts? Here's the deal: the budget cuts considering the grand scheme of things under this sequester are a pittance compared to the cuts which are needed to make real headway to get rid of the deficit--if you're unwilling to raise taxes.

I wonder if there would similar conservative outrage at the closing of some mental health facility or a the shutdown of some federally-funded scholarship for poor kids, which is why this clap-trap about "small government" which comes from the GOP is a bunch of hot air.

Want to cut the federal deficit without any additional revenue? Be prepared for almost everybody to feel the pain. And apparently under this sequester, there's no rhyme or reason to the cuts, which makes them arguably worse. Although not amounting to much, we're already seeing the by-products of even small cuts in the functioning of at least one government agency. I'm sure we'll see more stories of this ilk.

OP

MrEMann83

Very Banned
Reaction score
But why are the budget cuts directly effecting prisons in Arizona? I am sure there are thousands of programs that would make much more sense to cut the budget from. No?

UncleTrvlingJim

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But why are the budget cuts directly effecting prisons in Arizona? I am sure there are thousands of programs that would make much more sense to cut the budget from. No?
Supposedly the logic is that the sequester is an across the board cut for every agency... so everything is getting cut with no discretion.

I'm honestly not in a position to say if that's true or not.

OP

MrEMann83

Very Banned
Reaction score
How? What about what I posted has ANYTHING in it that would make it be red-thumbed?

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Supposedly the logic is that the sequester is an across the board cut for every agency... so everything is getting cut with no discretion.

Same here, real concrete and unbiased specifics on the sequester seem pretty scarce to me. The lack of good reliable info bothers me.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How? What about what I posted has ANYTHING in it that would make it be red-thumbed?
If red thumbs bother you...

I have gotten over 2,000, and deserved over 10,000. Lighten up Nancy, you don't get blocked from posting by collecting red thumbs. Rub some dirt in it and walk it off.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

That's how it's being sold, UTJ, but it excludes a number of items that could be cut.

Anyway, we've discussed this some in another thread and when I first saw the article I was shocked and called someone familiar and was told these were drawing board plans to save money under consideration. Given sequestration, they decided to implement now.

$14 per day supervised detention at home while waiting for a trial is much cheaper than $150.

I'll call this efficient and cost saving government.

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
$14 per day supervised detention at home while waiting for a trial is much cheaper than $150.

I'll call this efficient and cost saving government.

Until the illegal with multiple DUIs kills your family.

As it turns out, it is true. Over 2,000 illegals were released.

The Homeland Security Department released from its jails more than 2,000 illegal immigrants facing deportation in recent weeks due to looming budget cuts and planned to release 3,000 more during March, The Associated Press has learned.

The newly disclosed figures, cited in internal budget documents reviewed by the AP, are significantly higher than the "few hundred" illegal immigrants the Obama administration acknowledged this week had been released under the budget-savings process.

AP Exclusive: DHS released over 2,000 immigrants

The AP reported that Morton further testified that those who were released consist of illegals largely facing convictions for financial
crimes. Others were convicted of multiple drunken driving offenses, misdemeanor crimes, traffic offenses and aggravated felonies.

I am all for saving money as well. How about we just put them on a bunch of old school buses and bring them right back to the border that they illegally crossed?

On a side note, Obama's approval rating with Hispanics is at 70%. It was at 75% towards the end of last year and that 5% dip will surely be reversed here shortly. :9:

chad141fa

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
ban cars that drive over 5 miles and hour. that will fix the problem

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom