Dianna Russini: "a team waiting in the wings" to lure SP (1 Viewer)

There won't be a bidding war. He's not going to say "you can trade me to either of these clubs". He's only coming out of retirement for one team.
If that is the case, that he will come out of retirement for only "one team", then why is he interviewing with just about everybody? I don't think you interview for a bunch of jobs that you don't want when you are in his position. There are multiple jobs that appeal to him and he is feeling out all of the situations as best he can. If more than one team wants him, there will be multiple bidding wars, one regarding how much money he will make, another will be the terms of his contract, then the the amount of total control that he gets, then the amount of draft compensation that he would be willing to give up AND finally the amount of draft compensation that the Saints demand. The Saints will issue a demand for a certain amount of draft points. I don't think Loomis is taking less than what 1,300 points would be worth if they were all in the 2023 draft. There will be a quasi bidding war in that he might have more than one team that becomes seriously interested. This might happen really fast after this weekend.

Carolina will be more draft points, probably two #1 picks and maybe more. The Texans might "overpay" because they have so many 2023 draft points. Arizona is a wild card. Denver, and potentially the crazy idea of the Chiefs, would be a 2023 1st, a 3rd in 2023 and a 1st in 2024. That is worth about 1,300 points.

A true "bidding war" no, he in effect has a "no trade" clause, but if he plays hardball and exercises that option, who is to say that "his" market is ever as hot as it is now? Can anybody say for certain that there will be better jobs available in early 2024? What if the only jobs available in 2024 are something like Detroit, Cleveland, Jets, Falcons and Titans? To me, the lineup of Denver, Carolina, Arizona and Texans looks a little bit better. I don't see that many teams getting rid of coaches next year that are good situations.

Seattle could be a wild card. That seems like a good job that might open up soon soon, maybe very soon. They have two #1's (#5 and #20) and two #2's (#37 and #52) this year. Pete Carroll is 71 years old, and they have a very good salary cap situation. Carroll seems set on staying, but maybe he could be eased out?

So the smoke of a mystery team keeps billowing across the media landscape, but how can anyone say there is a mystery team without being able to identify what team or teams might be the surprise suitor? This seems a story planted by team Payton.

Successful teams like Kansas City don't need to give up high draft picks for Payton to maintain their success. I don't see Kansas City, Seattle, Atlanta, or Chicago, which are the teams mentioned on this forum.

And I have to think if a team not previously mentioned were seriously interested in Payton, we would have heard something by now that its coach was in trouble and there was at least interest in Payton. Firing a head coach, changing team management and philosophy, and giving up high draft picks is a big deal--something would have leaked by this team other than a surprise team might be interested in Payton. I am highly skeptical.

At a certain point they're gonna say fork him. He's acting like the Michigan guy. I'm really starting to dislike Sean, I want the damn picks.

Starting to think the reports of him potentially going back to TV for another year aren't that far off at this point.

Doesn't seem like the market for him at the current price point is all that active. And he wants "the right" situation so it's not looking all that promising.

Starting to think the reports of him potentially going back to TV for another year aren't that far off at this point.

Doesn't seem like the market for him at the current price point is all that active. And he wants "the right" situation so it's not looking all that promising.
Yup.

I’m fine with that. If he wants to coach next year, we’ll be back in the same place. And if DA can’t turn things around, we’ll be right at the top of the list of job openings for Payton to look at.

Sean's agent is putting in work.
Starting to feel like teams just aren’t that interested in Payton. The compensation, his contract demands, giving him full control is probably very off putting.

I don’t expect it to happen but I think the chances of Payton returning to the Saints next offseason are quickly increasing. He isn’t going to get everything he wants anywhere else.

Last edited:
Starting to feel like teams just aren’t that interested in Payton. The compensation, his contract demands, giving him full control is probably very odd putting.

I don’t expect it to happen but I think the chances of Payton returning to the Saints next offseason are quickly increasing. He isn’t going to get everything he wants anywhere else.
Agreed. He knows he had a great thing. I’m guessing that’s why he leaked out that he wanted to come back to the Saints weeks ago.

It’s a win-win for the Saints now. Either DA turns it around or Payton can come back next year (and if he doesn’t want this job, Loomis can hold him for a lot more since we’d have an opening).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom