Dianna Russini: "a team waiting in the wings" to lure SP (1 Viewer)

“ Dianna Russini is a reporter for ESPN and used to work in the DC market. She has very good contact with the Commanders people. She had a tweet yesterday that said there is an unnamed team waiting in the wings that could potentially land Sean Payton. When she says that a lot of people say it’s going to be the Cowboys, but let me throw out a team… Dianna Russini has connections to Washington, throw out Washington [as a destination for Payton]. Why? No bad contracts, they can cut Carson Wentz tomorrow. They have several great young players at key positions. Edge rusher, receiver, left tackle, running back… Key positions, they’ve got them. They need to upgrade the offensive line a little, they need a quarterback – Carr and Garoppolo on the market. Taylor Heinicke and Ron Rivera were competitive, what do you think he would do with an offensive coach and all those young players getting better? Thirty years ago this may have been the most rabid fan base in the league. I think you gotta keep your eye out for Washington. New owners, I’ve been told they’re interested in Sean Payton. I know Carolina and Dallas are viewed too, but keep your eyes out for Washington. No awful contracts and they need an offensive coach.”

“ Dianna Russini is a reporter for ESPN and used to work in the DC market. She has very good contact with the Commanders people. She had a tweet yesterday that said there is an unnamed team waiting in the wings that could potentially land Sean Payton. When she says that a lot of people say it’s going to be the Cowboys, but let me throw out a team… Dianna Russini has connections to Washington, throw out Washington [as a destination for Payton]. Why? No bad contracts, they can cut Carson Wentz tomorrow. They have several great young players at key positions. Edge rusher, receiver, left tackle, running back… Key positions, they’ve got them. They need to upgrade the offensive line a little, they need a quarterback – Carr and Garoppolo on the market. Taylor Heinicke and Ron Rivera were competitive, what do you think he would do with an offensive coach and all those young players getting better? Thirty years ago this may have been the most rabid fan base in the league. I think you gotta keep your eye out for Washington. New owners, I’ve been told they’re interested in Sean Payton. I know Carolina and Dallas are viewed too, but keep your eyes out for Washington. No awful contracts and they need an offensive coach.”
Sounds far-fetched but Washington, with new owners, is a cornerstone franchise. The kid Howell didn't look bad in their last game, and the defense is ready to go, especially with the Fangio rumor. I don't trust Synder to try to do a hail mary with the fanbase but it's interesting.

The only team I think of when I read “get their ducks in a row” is one who promoted a guy to HC who had zero experience coaching at any level.

Colts get one of the top QBs. Getting an offensive mind like Payton to work w/ him would be ideal.

Sounds far-fetched but Washington, with new owners, is a cornerstone franchise. The kid Howell didn't look bad in their last game, and the defense is ready to go, especially with the Fangio rumor. I don't trust Synder to try to do a hail mary with the fanbase but it's interesting.
Is it still though?
This is the problem when people say “cornerstone franchises.”
The Eagles have earned that. The Steelers too. Even the Giants.
For all the jokes that Dallas gets. Washington has been worse.
There’s a entire generation and a half that has been raised on the Seahawks, Colts, Saints, Eagles, Packers, Broncos, Chiefs, and Steelers being the more successful franchises in the 00s.
To many, those are the cornerstones of the NFL in the past half century.

This is no disrespect to the history of the Washington team. Whatever the name is.
But in this age, I don’t see an advantage being a cornerstone franchise has, especially in the NFL where it’s structured to be even.
In the 50s to even the 90s, I can understand. Those teams got the post press.
But we live in a post Sunday Ticket/RedZone world. Every watches every game every week.

Last edited:

Man I would love this, he’d be able to do a beat down on Dallas twice a season. Need some positive in a DA coached saints season.

Is it still though?
This is the problem when people say “cornerstone franchises.”
The Eagles have earned that. The Steelers too. Even the Giants.
For all the jokes that Dallas gets. Washington has been worse.
There’s a entire generation and a half that has been raised on the Seahawks, Colts, Saints, Eagles, Packers, Broncos, Chiefs, and Steelers being the more successful franchises in the 00s.
To many, those are the cornerstones of the NFL in the past half century.

This is no disrespect to the history of the Washington team. Whatever the name is.
But in this age, I don’t see an advantage being a cornerstone franchise has, especially in the NFL where it’s structured to be even.
In the 50s to even the 90s, I can understand. Those teams got the post press.
But we live in a post Sunday Ticket/RedZone world. Every watches every game every week.
I cannot disagree that Synder has run it into the ground but you're still talking about a huge media market in the nation's capital. If Synder sold the team and they hire a big-name coach, they would get a stadium in the city and other stuff. It would be a big move if it happened, although I doubt it will.

I don't see a scenario where Sean ever coaches here again. Just seems like he would be going backwards and that doesn't seem like a route he would be interested in taking.

I don't see a scenario where Sean ever coaches here again. Just seems like he would be going backwards and that doesn't seem like a route he would be interested in taking.
I was tired of my lady
We'd been together too long
Like a worn out recording
Of a favorite song
So while she lay there sleepin'
I read the paper in bed
And in the personal columns
There was this letter I read
If you like piña coladas
And gettin' caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain
If you like makin' love at midnight
In the dunes on the cape
Then I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape
I didn't think about my lady
I know that sounds kinda mean
But me and my old lady
Had fallen into the same old dull routine
So I wrote to the paper
Took out a personal ad
And though I'm nobody's poet
I thought it wasn't half bad
Yes, I like piña coladas
I'm not much into health food
I am into champagne
I've got to meet you by tomorrow noon
And cut through all this red tape
At a bar called O'Malley's
Where we'll plan our escape
So I waited with high hopes
And she walked in the place
I knew her smile in an instant
I knew the curve of her face
It was my own lovely lady
And she said, "Oh, it's you"
Then we laughed for a moment
And I said, "I never knew"
"That you like piña coladas
And the feel of the ocean
And the taste of champagne
If you like making love at midnight
In the dunes on the cape
You're the lady I've looked for
Come with me and escape"
If you like piña coladas
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain
In the dunes on the cape
I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape
Yes, I like piña coladas
I am into champagne

Definitely. People will be disappointed about not getting 2023 picks but this is playing out perfectly.

Another thing is I don’t see how next offseason is any different for SP. If the Cowboys or Chargers wanted Payton then they’d do it now. Really not sure his options next year will be better than the current ones. Just seems logical that a 2 year break + the realisation that no one is giving him full control = return to New Orleans. Hopefully, anyway.
Hopefully not.

Man I would love this, he’d be able to do a beat down on Dallas twice a season. Need some positive in a DA coached saints season.

I think it's either BS, or it's the Saints. It makes no sense for any team looking for a HC to wait and keep it a secret that they are looking for one other than the Saints. Maybe DA and PC are the ducks. But, I think it's click bait.

I think it's either BS, or it's the Saints. It makes no sense for any team looking for a HC to wait and keep it a secret that they are looking for one other than the Saints. Maybe DA and PC are the ducks. But, I think it's click bait.
I have a very tinfoil hat theory but it’s the biggest reach I’ve ever made, and I don’t even truly believe it myself. But it goes like this:

We know Miami wanted SP, and SP wanted Miami. But then Miami hires McDaniel and they have a good year (until the lost Tua). I just read earlier that Tua is STILL in concussion protocol and it’s been a month. What if Miami’s brass is conducting some kind of internal investigation into what exactly happened and who is at fault, and it turns out they make McDaniel the fall guy and use that as a reason for dismissal?

That could explain the “waiting to see how things shake out” comments, with the only other option being Reid’s retirement. I dunno- I think it’s clear Miami’s decision making in the FO is questionable at times

Again— VERY big reach and I know this, and don’t believe this myself, but that wouldn’t be the most shocking thing in the world to me I guess

I have a very tinfoil hat theory but it’s the biggest reach I’ve ever made, and I don’t even truly believe it myself. But it goes like this:

We know Miami wanted SP, and SP wanted Miami. But then Miami hires McDaniel and they have a good year (until the lost Tua). I just read earlier that Tua is STILL in concussion protocol and it’s been a month. What if Miami’s brass is conducting some kind of internal investigation into what exactly happened and who is at fault, and it turns out they make McDaniel the fall guy and use that as a reason for dismissal?

That could explain the “waiting to see how things shake out” comments, with the only other option being Reid’s retirement. I dunno- I think it’s clear Miami’s decision making in the FO is questionable at times

Again— VERY big reach and I know this, and don’t believe this myself, but that wouldn’t be the most shocking thing in the world to me I guess

You're right. It's a stretch, but it's not totally crazy. But still, if Payton is your guy and he's getting interviews, waiting isn't a good thing.

I was tired of my lady
We'd been together too long
Like a worn out recording
Of a favorite song
So while she lay there sleepin'
I read the paper in bed
And in the personal columns
There was this letter I read
If you like piña coladas
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain
If you like makin' love at midnight
In the dunes on the cape
Then I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape
I didn't think about my lady
I know that sounds kinda mean
But me and my old lady
Had fallen into the same old dull routine
So I wrote to the paper
Took out a personal ad
And though I'm nobody's poet
I thought it wasn't half bad
Yes, I like piña coladas
I am into champagne
Where we'll plan our escape
So I waited with high hopes
And she walked in the place
I knew her smile in an instant
I knew the curve of her face
It was my own lovely lady
And she said, "Oh, it's you"
Then we laughed for a moment
And I said, "I never knew"
"That you like piña coladas
And the feel of the ocean
And the taste of champagne
In the dunes on the cape
You're the lady I've looked for
Come with me and escape"
If you like piña coladas
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain
In the dunes on the cape
I'm the love that you've looked for
Write to me and escape
Yes, I like piña coladas
I am into champagne
Come with meeee and escape!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom