Did anybody else kinda anticipate this could happen? (1 Viewer)

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't mean the Falcons putting 45 on the board....I just mean them winning in general. These guys have been matched up against us at some of the worst times. 2006 MNF was pretty much a no-win situation for them. 2007 MNF was right when Petrino was getting ready to quit (you have to figure he was probably already close to that even before the game sealed it). 2009 MNF....well, they were just kinda in the way while we were rolling through most of the league. 2010 MNF was actually during a stretch that season when we were playing some of our best football. 2011 MNF? Brees was on the verge of setting a record......and in primetime that season, the team not only won games .....they annihilated teams.

Even some of the non-MNF matchups.......for instance, game 1 in 2013. The "Payton Returns" game.........or instances such as 2012 and 2015, where they walked into the Dome with an undefeated record.

For all the times they've gotten it wrong.....at some point did it just seem like they'd eventually get it right? For me the whole "10 YEAR REBIRTH ANNIVERSARY !!!" thing didn't seem like it'd be enough to carry the Saints by itself. Especially considering much of the team was probably not even in high school when that game happened...

Didn't expect much from a Dennis Allen defense. That guy does not look like someone capable of turning this bunch around. That guy should have been gone with Ryan.

I saw it coming. There's just little to place any hope on.

I was thinking 8-8 before preseason, changed it to 6-10 after preseason, and now think I was being overly optimistic.

I was confident about this game until we found out that we'd be missing Vaccaro and Davison. Knew our run defense would vanish with John Jenkins at DT. And Vaccaro goes without saying - he would've plastered Matt Ryan on that long run he had.

I actually think we'll beat them in Atlanta.

I felt 7-9 might be both our ceiling and our floor.

This was never going to be some great season. Unless a lot changes very quickly regarding our team's health. This many young players, and then we lose more as the games go on?

Yeah, it was always going to be rough at times. I did hope we'd have a win on our tally by now, but whatever.

If our season goes more south, this place will be very unpleasant to be around. Already seeing some "Fire Payton, but I have no brain power to spare on who to replace him with" threads.

Reverse line movement gave the game away. Falcons were going to cover. It was just a matter of whether they'd win out-right.

Of course I got red-thumbed to death for pointing that out pre-game.

Reverse line movement gave the game away. Falcons were going to cover. It was just a matter of whether they'd win out-right.

I've seen just as many examples of outcomes being opposite of "line movement", so I don't put much stock into that.........if anything, I'd credit ATL line movement to all of the starters that the Saints were missing.

I do, however, think that at some point ATL was gonna have a game where they weren't gonna have a back-breaking momentum killer that generally seems to haunt them.........such as the blocked punt in 2006, or Mike Smith going for, and failing, on 4th and inches in the 2011 GA Dome game. One could almost make a point that the horrible, inexcusable muffed punt thing that happened was their "Gleason blocked punt" moment, which swung the game completely in their favor. Even their roughing the punter penalty wasn't enough to give up the momentum.

Life isn't always fair, but it also doesn't stay one-sided forever. Simply put, the Falcons were due......and I think many of us hoped that somehow the crowd, the emotion, the desperation....whatever else, would help the Saints overachieve and win this game. Unfortunately, we had very few lucky bounces go our way.......and in a straight-up contest, they simply proved to be better tonight.

I was hopeful it would be a close game that we'd have a chance in the end. I knew a blow out was possible and the Saints being on the winning end of that just wasn't likely.

The home field advantage we had at one time has been gone for years now. The dome is now a place where people come to spank us and rack up stats.

The home field advantage we had at one time has been gone for years now.

This was maybe the most frustrating aspect of 2014. They had 5 home games in the 2nd half of the season, and lost all 5 of them. Even last year, it was just 4-4 at home. And now we're already 0-2 at home in 2016...

And are we ever gonna win another MNF game at home? This has to at least be the 3rd MNF loss in a row at home...

It seems like now, we get 1 big win at home per year. In 2014 it was Green Bay......last year it was vs. ATL on Thurs night. Any other teams we beat at home are teams that, on paper at least, were generally inferior to us (such as Jax last season). It's quite disgusting, really.

Reverse line movement did not make the Saints loose, their pathetic defence made them loose.

Vegas made the game a pick once you consider the home field. Vegas knows we have a bad defence that is the liability of this team.

As well, the night before there was reverse line movement in the cowboys and bears yet all Vegas did was play with everyone's head thinking that the Bears stood a chance.

It works sometimes and sometime it does not.

With 7 starters out, the writing was on the wall. Our O can't do it all by themselves. I don't blame the D as a whole, there's just too many injuries to overcome. That D-line, though. Can't stop the run, very little pass-rush. Hard to blame Allen, too. With the players he has left to field, it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Good luck with that.

with 7 starters missing i was less optimistic, but hoped emotion would have carried the team- and it looked that way until the punt return debacle.

10 years ago on MNF a game against the falcons signified a new era.

Last night that era ended.

I had a feeling Falcons were going dominate. They are just a better team right now. I wasn't going to say that leading up to the game because everyone was tied up in the ten year anniversary. Alot of the players on this team were not here 10 years ago they don't care. Deion jones played with more heart than anyone on the saints imo

Bring so early in the season with players returning I'm going to stay on the positive

We are 1 game back in division with 14 games and 5 against divisional foes one of which counters last nights game

Take away the pick 6 we are on drive to win or tie even with the ST TO

With the starters in the game there MAY have been a few plays made that were missed by the players last night that would have got us off the feild , the Harper non tackle on 3rd, the PI on 3rd or was it 4th and long

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom