Did anyone have there doubts about brees when we signed him? (1 Viewer)

I will admit I didn't want Brees. I felt there was too much of a risk involved in his throwing shoulder. Had he been 100% fit I would have snapped him up. However, I was concerned that he may suffer a similar fate to Chad Pennington, especially if pushing to be back for the start of the season. Brees assured everyone that he would be good to go. That gave me no re-assurance whatsoever. What's a free agent going to say?! My fear was that we'd sign Brees, he'd get re-injured and we'd struggle with Todd Bouman in the lineup. No matter who we drafted then would have very little impact be it A.J. Hawk, Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson and no-one even thought Bush would be available. I wanted Leinart and to build long term

I will point out I was obviously wrong and everything worked out better than anyone could have even wished, with Brees playing like an MVP and bona fide top 3 QB and drafting Bush, but for the people saying that they "knew exactly what we were getting" - absolute rubbish. At best it was blind faith. I bet you are not experts in the field of shoulder injuries, surgery and the potential pitfalls of recovery. Every injury is different. I'm damn sure you did not see an MRI or consult Dr James Andrews probing him to reassure any lingering doubts you had about a 100% recovery.

I was absolutely confident that if his surgery could be overcome in a short period of time, Drew Brees would be the guy who would put in the work in rehab to get it done. I also had total confidence that a near healthy Drew Brees would be a top tier QB for us. I had no idea it would be this good, I imagined us winning 5 or 6 games, but I did feel confident Drew would do well.

Last edited:
i was...with the injury and all i was worried as soon as he'd get hit hard in that throwing shoulder that he'd be out

Never doubted the the signing of Bress one bit. Here in Shreveport, FOX always plays the Cowboys. So I would change the channel to watch what ever game was on the other channel. A lot of the time they would have the Chargers on so I got to see Brees play quite a bit. He was always solid the times I got to see him. Man, his recievers blew though except for Gates. Smart, unquestionable leadership, and uncanny accuracy. Never in my wildest dreams did I think he would ever be a Saints so when we signed him I was ecstatic to say the least.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom