Did anyone have there doubts about brees when we signed him? (1 Viewer)

I'm not gonna lie i did i thought at first he would be another jake delhone a one trick pony becuase wehen he was in San Diego he got most of his passing yards to Antino Gates and also he was behind a very good OL and when we signed him, and after his injured shoulder i thought he would lose his edge and be a average QB like JAke is BUT man was i wrong he is everything i hoped for 1000times:ezbill:

He was NEVER behind a good, let alone "very good", OL in San Diego and Drew distributed the ball to everyone.

I was wanting Leinart or anyone to come in and be a leader at that position. Overjoyed to get a coach like Payton and a QB like Brees. IMHO, This is the best Offense this team has had in it's entire 40 years.

I was all for drafting Matt Leinart with the thinking that he was the most ready QB in the draft and with Payton coaching him it set us up with a really good QB for the next 10 years. I really didn't like the idea of signing a short QB coming off major shoulder surgery to his throwing shoulder. After we signed Drew and I heard and read some of his comments I started to think we finally had a leader at the QB position but I also felt that he would take some time to get going with a new head coach and OC and a new offensive scheme. Even with his signing I still supported the idea of drafting Leinart just in case this didn't work out. Then Reggie Bush came avaliable and the rest is history. I am still amazed at how fast Drew has taken to this team, this offensive scheme and the coaches and what he has shown after such a shakey pre-season.

I was wanting Leinart or anyone to come in and be a leader at that position. Overjoyed to get a coach like Payton and a QB like Brees. IMHO, This is the best Offense this team has had in it's entire 40 years.

Yep....and the ad campaign is perfect..."Winning is an Attitude"...and Drew and Coach Payton totally brought it didn't they :)

I always knew Brees was good, but after last year i really wanted something fresh and new to look forward to. I dreamed that Houston would pass on reggie but until they did i honestly wanted Leinart real bad. Brees by far was the best signing this franchise ever made, it allowed us to pick reggie with the second pick or trade down if we wanted to. Gave us alot of flexibility. Not to mention how great he has been on the field.

I followed Bress at Purdue, only because of gambling. When the bolts drafted Rivers I said right then and there he would end up in Miami. With all the back and fourth with the Saints and Miami I was so glad that he decided to come to the Saints. Everyone at work (real big anti Saint) thought I was crazy. Well now who's laughing. I tell my fellow workers "GET OFF MY SAINTS WAGON".

I actually had no doubts about Brees' ability because while I never watched him much in SD, I saw him a many times at Purdue and knew the kind of player he was, I guy who wasn't the biggest, tallest, was doubted everywhere he went(since HS) but he was very good football player an all around QB that was real gutsy and a leader.

The only concern I had was about his injury and how he would come back...I was atually concerned about our O-Line and how they would protect...

Truthfully I didn't care who we had as long his last name wasn't Brooks...I hated that @#######......

As soon as I heard that we cleaned house and Brooks was being traded I went and bought season tickets, I didn't care if we were 3-13 I just was glad they were gone....I didn't wait for for the draft....I was so happy because of that....

As for Payton I felt good about him while I knew nothing about him, I liked that fact that we hired a guy who had no experience and was getting his first shot, I felt he would be hungry to prove himself, just like I was hoping most of the players that were on the team or would come to the team, that it would be a new fresh start for them....Never did I think we would be doing this well this fast, I thought it might take us another year.....

No. He's the reason we jumped on the bandwagon in March and bought season tix for the first time ever .... Reggie wasn't even a glimmer in our eye. The thing that tipped me was the Hi-we're-glad-to-be-in-New Orleans ad he and his wife took out in the Times-Picayune! Very classy move and, call me crazy, I just think he's the type of guy that wouldn't have signed a contract for $60 million if he wasn't 60,000,000% sure his shoulder was going to be okay.

I Bought his Jersey before i knew he'd actually be healed up enough to start, so that answer your question with me. :) When he moved into New Orleans and quickly became the leader of the pack, Wrote that news article i still have saved somewhere i fell for this QB i knew not too much about at first, I never thought a player could grow on me so fast, Bush didn't even win me over as much as Brees did, i still don't own a Bush Jersey or anything with him on it. you have to earn that respect with me, a College career don't do it.
I however wasn't sure about how far he'd be able to throw, Now he's breaking records and throwing accurate hail mary's? did they give him a cybernetic arm or something?

I was also on the Leinart band wagon (still am). But the chance of getting Brees & Bush is to good to pass up on. There is a reason why we fans are not in the FO or in coaching. Payton simply knows his job better than we do

I like the "win now" attitude.

When it became obvious that we would replace AB, I started looking into all of the draft possibilities and very little into FA. I was already buying into the Leinart drafting when we signed Brees, and I have to say I was totally unsure about either. It took a day or two for Brees to sink in, but I came around quicker than I thought. I started buying into the way he embraced the city by taking the add out in the TP. I started getting my hopes up, and although I was VERY MILDLY shaken in preseason when he threw a few balls too low, I have to say he is everything I wanted and more. He's making plays that excite me to the bone. Things I never would have expected since I hadn't followed his career previously. He's the best FA surprise to come to the Saints since Joe Horn. Possibly ever.

I will admit I didn't want Brees. I felt there was too much of a risk involved in his throwing shoulder. Had he been 100% fit I would have snapped him up. However, I was concerned that he may suffer a similar fate to Chad Pennington, especially if pushing to be back for the start of the season. Brees assured everyone that he would be good to go. That gave me no re-assurance whatsoever. What's a free agent going to say?! My fear was that we'd sign Brees, he'd get re-injured and we'd struggle with Todd Bouman in the lineup. No matter who we drafted then would have very little impact be it A.J. Hawk, Mario Williams or D'Brickashaw Ferguson and no-one even thought Bush would be available. I wanted Leinart and to build long term

I will point out I was obviously wrong and everything worked out better than anyone could have even wished, with Brees playing like an MVP and bona fide top 3 QB and drafting Bush, but for the people saying that they "knew exactly what we were getting" - absolute rubbish. At best it was blind faith. I bet you are not experts in the field of shoulder injuries, surgery and the potential pitfalls of recovery. Every injury is different. I'm damn sure you did not see an MRI or consult Dr James Andrews probing him to reassure any lingering doubts you had about a 100% recovery.

Same here. I wanted to draft Leinart and build the team around him. I felt Brees was more of a stop-gap answer to the QB question for the Saints. I thought he was a good player, but not "special." I was wrong. Brees is a special player. I think he's proven that he is a Franchise QB and, as long as he's healthy, he's capable of keeping this team competitive for the next decade.

No reason for me to rewrite this.

I thought in typical Saints luck, he would never come back from the injury. His play has been unreal.

I was concerned for his health, but as far as his ability as a QB, no, because I had already saw what he was doing in SD. As far as now, I wouldn't trade him for anyother QB in the league.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom