Did Brees tell Winston it was his team now? (1 Viewer)

Those 3 didn't do anything close to special.

And as a general comment, it's funny what picking up a player does for fans' opinions of said player. Winston went from "bust", "punk", "would never want on my team", etc. to franchise savior.
I've never felt like Jameis was garbage and all 3 of those guys impacted their season this year.

I will point out that it wouldnt be the first time a 2 QB system has won an NFL championship.

Negative, I was well aware of those years. Brees was arching up as a franchise QB and if weren't for the injury, Rivers would have been traded.

Winston has arched downward and has not had a 104 QB rating or his team consider him the Franchise QB which is why they cut him.

Let's see, meticulous attention to detail, versus eating W's, sexual assault allegations, yeah, still not buying the comparison.

24 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, and 3,576 yards for a 9-7 team does not exactly jump off the page to me as a guy "arching up as a franchise QB." The bottom line is, he was an inconsistent player and nowhere near the prolific 5,000+ yard record breaking QB he turned out to be. None of us saw that coming, and even Loomis and Payton would admit that themselves.

24 touchdowns, 15 interceptions, and 3,576 yards for a 9-7 team does not exactly jump off the page to me as a guy "arching up as a franchise QB." The bottom line is, he was an inconsistent player and nowhere near the prolific 5,000+ yard record breaking QB he turned out to be. None of us saw that coming, and even Loomis and Payton would admit that themselves.
24-15 and 3600 yards 20 years ago is not the same today. 3600 yards 20 years ago was top 5 in the NFL most years, so was 24 TDS. And throwing 15 interceptions was common.

Drew was 4th in TDs that year and Tom Brady threw 14 interceptions to only 26 TDs. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited:
Hmmm let me think about that

4.97 sec Jameis
4.55 sec Young
4,41 sec RG III
4.40 sec Taysom

Nope, I don't think so.
I’m speaking in terms of having a tremendous career arc, not from an athletic standpoint.

Yes. He had the stats of a good QB but nothing that would blow you away. Add to that the devastating shoulder injury. I know I didn't expect much from him at the time. Heck I wanted Matt Leinhart in the draft and the Saints go sign an average QB that was damaged goods. In my mind I was thinking "typical Saints move". It was one of those low risk/high reward moves that never seemed to work for this franchise. It more than worked out I'd have to say.

24-15 and 3600 yards 20 years ago is not the same today. 3600 yards 20 years ago was top 5 in the NFL most years, so was 24 TDS. And throwing 15 interceptions was common.

Drew was 4th in TDs that year and Tom Brady threw 14 interceptions to only 26 TDs. Your comparing apples to oranges.

Ok you're right. We knew Drew was an all-world franchise QB at the time we got him. Happy now?

Negative, I was well aware of those years. Brees was arching up as a franchise QB and if weren't for the injury, Rivers would have been traded.

Winston has arched downward and has not had a 104 QB rating or his team consider him the Franchise QB which is why they cut him...hell if the bucs thought he had potential why not keep him to learn behind Brady?

Let's see, meticulous attention to detail, versus eating W's, sexual assault allegations, yeah, still not buying the comparison.

Wrong. Rivers was never going to be traded. Rivers was drafted in 1st round via Giants because Chargers didn’t have faith in Brees and Head Coach was high Rivers. Any of those 2 years they could have traded Rivers if they were so high on Brees. The fact is that the Chargers never resigned Brees. The injury he suffered made it much easier for them to make that decision. If injury never happen they would’ve let Brees walk anyway.

Winston has arched downward and has not had a 104 QB rating or his team consider him the Franchise QB which is why they cut him...hell if the bucs thought he had potential why not keep him to learn behind Brady?

Dedication, passion, drive, selflessness, maturity, a desire to make those around him better players, these are all not qualities that I would identify Winston as having. I don't think that he's really a bad person & he's obviously got all of the physical traits, skill, capability, football knowledge etc. I'd even say that he's got aspects of his game that Brees has never had and I do think that we can win with him. I just don't think that he's capable of being on the level that Brees has been and if anyone is expecting him to take a similar path as some are suggesting, I think they're going to be very sorely disappointed.

Watching the video, I'm imagining Brees telling him that he will get his chance again soon & when he does he'll be ready for it & seize the opportunity. I cannot imagine Brees telling him that it's his team now since it's not his decision to make and he knows it will be a competition.

I know Taysom was hurt and wearing a hoodie on the sidelines, but I don't remember seeing any shots of him looking at pictures or having conversations on the sidelines. I only saw Brees talking to Winston a couple times. That seemed odd in the moment. Even when a QB is hurt, don't they still huddle up on the sideline and stay mentally engaged in the game?

This is all happening on the same day that the report breaks that we're trying to bring Winston back next year. There's no way that Winston plays for anything less than full starter money. There's zero motivation for Winston to sign with us unless it's for full compensation with the inside track to be the starter.

I know Taysom was hurt and wearing a hoodie on the sidelines, but I don't remember seeing any shots of him looking at pictures or having conversations on the sidelines. I only saw Brees talking to Winston a couple times. That seemed odd in the moment. Even when a QB is hurt, don't they still huddle up on the sideline and stay mentally engaged in the game?

This is all happening on the same day that the report breaks that we're trying to bring Winston back next year. There's no way that Winston plays for anything less than full starter money. There's zero motivation for Winston to sign with us unless it's for full compensation with the inside track to be the starter.
I disagree because there would have to be competing offers from other teams and there is no team out there that gives him a better chance at success long term. If he can earn the starting spot and prove himself then that's the real payday. We have a playoff roster already, so why would he go to a franchise rebuilding just to say he's starting? I'm impressed that the young man was willing to swallow his pride and commit to being the 3rd string QB this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom