Did Brees tell Winston it was his team now? (1 Viewer)

Wrong. Rivers was never going to be traded. Rivers was drafted in 1st round via Giants because Chargers didn’t have faith in Brees and Head Coach was high Rivers. Any of those 2 years they could have traded Rivers if they were so high on Brees. The fact is that the Chargers never resigned Brees. The injury he suffered made it much easier for them to make that decision. If injury never happen they would’ve let Brees walk anyway.
That’s how I remember it as well. Schottenheimer was never impressed by Drew. Mike Riley drafted Drew Brees to the Chargers and Marty was always looking to go with someone else at every opportunity he could find.

Schottenheimer got enamored with Rivers while coaching in one of the college senior bowl games. Phillip was “his QB” and there was no way he was going to trade him once he was drafted.

And the reality is, the injury to Drew didn’t change his fate in San Diego. He was gone regardless. What the injury did do was reduce his suitors to basically 2. A healthy Drew would have drawn considerable interest from just about every team needing a QB - but San Diego didn’t need a QB since they had Rivers.

Wrong. Rivers was never going to be traded. Rivers was drafted in 1st round via Giants because Chargers didn’t have faith in Brees and Head Coach was high Rivers. Any of those 2 years they could have traded Rivers if they were so high on Brees. The fact is that the Chargers never resigned Brees. The injury he suffered made it much easier for them to make that decision. If injury never happen they would’ve let Brees walk anyway.
Forgive me for speculating just as you. In my OPINION Rivers was going to be traded if Brees hadn't hurt his shoulder.

Last edited:
Dedication, passion, drive, selflessness, maturity, a desire to make those around him better players, these are all not qualities that I would identify Winston as having.

Are those qualities you would associate with Ben Roethlisberger? That's who Walter Football compared Jameis to in their draft scouting report. If Sean can turn Jameis's career into a career like Roethlisberger's, we'll be fine. A good NFL QB who can win a championship doesn't have to have all the qualities of a younger Drew Brees IMO.

Forgive me for speculating just as you. In my OPINION he was going to be traded if he hadn't hurt his shoulder.

He couldn’t be traded. He was a free agent at end of season. It’s similar to Winston, Saints can’t trade him because he’s a free agent.

He couldn’t be traded. He was a free agent at end of season. It’s similar to Winston, Saints can’t trade him because he’s a free agent.
Right I forgot, GMs aren't creative and can't figure out how to make things happen like trading Osweiller to the browns for cap relief as Houston did.

Just like the Saints can't sign Winston to a contract and trade before the deadline if they wanted to...my appologies.

Negative, I was well aware of those years. Brees was arching up as a franchise QB and if weren't for the injury, Rivers would have been traded.

This is dead wrong. They traded for Rivers immediately after he was drafted by the Giants with the 4th pick in the 1st round. They were all set to draft Eli Manning at #1 but Archie told them he wouldn't play for the Chargers. This was 2004, Brees was the starter for the Chargers, they were going to replace him with Manning, when that didn't work out they traded for Rivers....

As for Jamies I really think he has a chance to be great, it is all up to him....We will see if he gets the chance with the Saints.

Watching the video, I'm imagining Brees telling him that he will get his chance again soon & when he does he'll be ready for it & seize the opportunity. I cannot imagine Brees telling him that it's his team now since it's not his decision to make and he knows it will be a competition.

Unless that decision has already been made by the Saints and Brees knows about it....just a possibility to consider....

As for Jamies I really think he has a chance to be great, it is all up to him....We will see if he gets the chance with the Saints.
Pretty much this, and it's mostly on him. He made the first move in taking less money to get, as he called it, "a Harvard education in quarterback school." People seem to forget that he set aside his ego to learn from who he viewed as the best in the business (Payton, Brees, Carmichael). It's really dependent on how committed he is to salvaging his career and I hope he realizes there's no better place to do it. He'd have a solid running game and O-line for the first time in his career. You can watch highlight videos and see how many times the pocket would collapse immediately after the snap. It didn't get any better under Arians. No max-protect like he did for Brady. Re-sign him, let him compete with Taysom, and may the best man win. Winston's floor is still higher than the ceilings of quite a few past Saints QBs.

Personally, with such different skill sets, I would be interested if the Saints would do something similar to what the Dolphins did with Fitzpatrick and Tua and going with the hot hand or the matchup against a given opponent.

This is dead wrong. They traded for Rivers immediately after he was drafted by the Giants with the 4th pick in the 1st round. They were all set to draft Eli Manning at #1 but Archie told them he wouldn't play for the Chargers. This was 2004, Brees was the starter for the Chargers, they were going to replace him with Manning, when that didn't work out they traded for Rivers....

Seriously, it's my opinion...it can't be right or wrong. I stand by it, I think if Brees doesn't get injured he wins the starting job and Rivers gets traded...my two cents.

Pretty much this, and it's mostly on him. He made the first move in taking less money to get, as he called it, "a Harvard education in quarterback school." People seem to forget that he set aside his ego to learn from who he viewed as the best in the business (Payton, Brees, Carmichael). It's really dependent on how committed he is to salvaging his career and I hope he realizes there's no better place to do it. He'd have a solid running game and O-line for the first time in his career. You can watch highlight videos and see how many times the pocket would collapse immediately after the snap. It didn't get any better under Arians. No max-protect like he did for Brady. Re-sign him, let him compete with Taysom, and may the best man win. Winston's floor is still higher than the ceilings of quite a few past Saints QBs.

Personally, with such different skill sets, I would be interested if the Saints would do something similar to what the Dolphins did with Fitzpatrick and Tua and going with the hot hand or the matchup against a given opponent.

You can hope and believe that Jameis Winston is a caterpillar and the Saints are his cocoon. But only time will tell if he emerges as a butterfly or a moth.

The only evidence we have so far is that Payton kept him on the bench.

You can create an elaborate rationalization to explain that fact if it makes you feel better.

You can hope and believe that Jameis Winston is a caterpillar and the Saints are his cocoon. But only time will tell if he emerges as a butterfly or a moth.

The only evidence we have so far is that Payton kept him on the bench.

You can create an elaborate rationalization to explain that fact if it makes you feel better.
You do realize that he was kept on the bench for the same reason Ruiz was playing guard instead of center, right? No OTAs, no preseason games, no live action before the first game of the season. Logically you go with the guy who's been in your system for years over the guy who just came from an absolute shirtshow of a franchise. You're the one rationalizing. I can look at the games and see that the defense playing absolutely out of their minds is what led to a 3-1 record against the softest stretch of the schedule.

Seriously, it's my opinion...it can't be right or wrong. I stand by it, I think if Brees doesn't get injured he wins the starting job and Rivers gets traded...my two cents.

It is dead wrong. Do you think the Chargers would take a QB with the 4th pick in the draft with no intention of ever starting him? And choose to let Brees contract run out just so they can resign Brees and have Rivers sit on the bench?

Right, you can't be wrong.....

I must be terrible at reading lips because I can’t make out a damn thing after watching this video over 5 times.

It is dead wrong. Do you think the Chargers would take a QB with the 4th pick in the draft with no intention of ever starting him? And choose to let Brees contract run out just so they can resign Brees and have Rivers sit on the bench?

Right, you can't be wrong.....
Ok, sounds good, glad we could come to an understanding ;).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom