Did Brees tell Winston it was his team now? (1 Viewer)

Not commenting on y’all’s conversation, but this part made me double take
I don’t understand how/why ‘opinion’ became this magical home base where rhetoric and logic aren’t allowed in

if an opinion is built on a flawed assumption, how would you classify the opinion?
(and again, I’m not saying your opinion is/isn’t sound, I just want us to demystify ‘opinion’)

I've seen the "opinions can't be wrong" thing pop up a couple of times on this forum.

If I somehow sincerely felt that Mark Brunell would have been a better option at QB than Drew Brees in 2009, I would like to believe that I wouldn't be able to hide for very long behind "well that's just my opinion, and an opinion in and of itself can't possibly be wrong!"

Brees threw for like 27-8 TD-INT and a 104 something QB rating before coming here...not really sure I'm tracking what you're saying.

Also, you're only telling half the story, Doug flutie was first benched for Drew Brees, they had a QB rotation at the time, whoever was hot started. Not the same here.

Why are you letting facts get in the way of a good story?

I personally can't tell what he is exactly saying, but it also doesn't matter.
I do not think Hill is the guy. He has played inconsistently as a QB, so I really do not expect that to change. If JW isn't it next year, then I don't know who it will be.

----

From the gesturing and the body language, I can see why people are thinking that's what's being said.

But as others have pointed out, why would he be saying that to someone who's about to be a free agent?

It could have been more like a "possibility" statement type of deal......."hey get ready, this might be your team next year" or something.

Seriously, it's my opinion...it can't be right or wrong. I stand by it, I think if Brees doesn't get injured he wins the starting job and Rivers gets traded...my two cents.
I understand you are saying that as your opinion but teams don't make trades like the Chargers did to sit the QB they just gave up a bunch of picks for. I can have the opinion that the sky is green but anyone looking can tell it's not....no matter how much I stand by that opinion. The moment San Diego made that trade, Brees became expendable. The injury made it even easier. Opinions by their nature can't be wrong but they can definitely be not grounded in reality or based on sound reasoning.

Except that part where they brought in arguably the greatest quarterback of all time, one of the best tight ends of the last decade and one of the best receivers of the last decade.

like I said the ditch Winston for a real QB.

It doesn’t matter. Drew doesn’t get to make that call. Coach Payton does. 🙂
Trust me Drew was never out the loop he knows exactly what's going on.. He knew Winston sat there to learn and rightfully so. I'm excited for Winston and playing under CSP he's gonna play with ice in his veins but we still need to draft a project QB because I believe Hill will want out once they announce Winston is starting QB

Trust me Drew was never out the loop he knows exactly what's going on.. He knew Winston sat there to learn and rightfully so. I'm excited for Winston and playing under CSP he's gonna play with ice in his veins but we still need to draft a project QB because I believe Hill will want out once they announce Winston is starting QB

I've considered this, but realistically, where does Hill go from New Orleans? I think you would be hard-pressed to find any team that says to him outright, "Join our team and you will start at QB for 2021".

I anticipate that, at best, he would receive an invitation from elsewhere to compete for a starting position, which he is unlikely to get, and then he would wind up as a gadget player in that other team's offence serving the exact same function he serves here. Which would probably be the assumption underlying the invitation in the first place.

The difference being that if the team in question had a rookie quarterback they could likely afford to pay him something which comes closer to resembling lower tier starter money. Even then though, you'd be looking at a team with a rookie QB suited to a similar mobile offence (e.g. I doubt the Jags would have Lawrence sit behind him for a year given the divergent styles of QB play). I just don't know or can't identify where his options are.

Payton kept his word and gave Hill his chance. This offense doesn't work with the QB making the first read and then running or holding onto the ball too long. Hill demonstrated that he does all of those things and he missed open WR's, took sacks and fumbled.

AK41 pretty much disappeared during the time Brees was out because Hill rarely used the check-down and often took sacks and/or fumbled. I love Hill in his role with the team right now. He can do all the things he's been good at and play QB for a short time if necessary. He is not a regular starting QB in this league.

I love Taysom Hill. He's a great athlete and a fierce competitor, but I don't see him being the one. I also think if you take him away from a Sean Payton offense, it would be another Jimmy Graham scenario. I think Jameis has earned a chance to see what this team can be with him at the helm (I think it can be really good). Taysom had his, and I think he is better in his saboteur role. Can Taysom be a starting quarterback in the NFL? Probably, I think we may have seen his ceiling in that capacity though. Luckily for everyone, I'm not Sean Payton and it isn't my call to make lol.

Payton kept his word and gave Hill his chance. This offense doesn't work with the QB making the first read and then running or holding onto the ball too long. Hill demonstrated that he does all of those things and he missed open WR's, took sacks and fumbled.

AK41 pretty much disappeared during the time Brees was out because Hill rarely used the check-down and often took sacks and/or fumbled. I love Hill in his role with the team right now. He can do all the things he's been good at and play QB for a short time if necessary. He is not a regular starting QB in this league.

I feel the same way. My gut feeling is they are going to bring Jamies back to start....But who knows really, I was sure wrong the last time I thought Jamies was going to be the starter....

That said, unless Taysom makes some huge Joe Burrow type leap in the offseason I really don't think he is a long term solution as a starting QB in the NFL....

You're right, he is not a regular starting QB in this league. He is better than the regular starting QB.

It boggles my mind that anyone thinks 4 games encapsulated a QB's potential. This crazy argument that Taysom is not a rookie QB or that he has been in the system for 3 years is ridiculous. His role was not Drew's back up those 3 years. Even this year Jameis was getting the snaps in practice to back up Brees not Taysom.

Taysom had one week in practice to get ready for his first game. And, what stood out for me in that game is that Payton emphasized the pass over the run and Taysom showed he could pass from the pocket. If he wasn't hitting Kamara on check-downs it's because he was complete 78% of his passes to receivers further down the field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom